PK360 collaboration thread

Coat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Seems like there are enough of us cooking on pk360s now that we should be able to learn a lot from each other.

How are you lighting it?
What fuel are you using?
What is your clean out practice?
What accessories have you found useful? What accessories have not been useful?

And let’s see some cooks!

Seems like there are enough of us cooking on pk360s now that we should be able to learn a lot from each other.
And let’s see some cooks!

How are you lighting it?
BBQ Dragon Chimney and BBQ Dragon Fan. Start to finish with coals lit within 12 minutes.

What fuel are you using?
Usually Weber or Royal Oak briquettes

Using Craftsman Wet/Dry vacuum, then sweeping out small amounts through clean out hole

Black grill mats for finishing food without any more charring

I light mine with Weber cubes and a chimney.

I usually use Kingsford blue bag but I have a bunch of Weber charcoal I bought that I will use once the Kingsford is gone.

I just use a small wisk broom and sweep the ashes out of the clean out hole and into the bucket that hangs off the back. I use a plastic scraper to scrape any grease up and it goes out the hole too.

I like using charcoal baskets, the littlemore grate, and occasionally grill grates.

Are y’all running the new model or the original ? I’m trying to decide if the extra money is worth it for the 360

Are y’all running the new model or the original ? I’m trying to decide if the extra money is worth it for the 360

I’m running the new model. I decided it was worth it because of better temp control, better clean up, more cooking space, and more enjoyable working height. Definitely a personal decision since you could buy 2 originals for the same price but I have ZERO regrets.

Is anyone using an automated fan system w the 360? I know none are made for it but I think I’ve heard of some guys rigging up some hacks with drum adapters etc.

How are you lighting it?
Weber Chimney and Weber Starter Cubes
What fuel are you using?
Hardwood briquettes for longer cooks, lump for fast cooks
Hang a bucket off of the brackets under the capsule and use a whisk broom to get the ash out of the clean out hole, hose it off every few cooks.
Littlemore raised grid, Grill Grates, Weber bluetooth Thermometer

I have some pictures in this gallery:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/uskgu3qy/

I need to add more.

Well, since this thread is about the PK360, I would have to assume that is what we are running :becky:

I have two PK360. The extra height alone was worth it for me, but I like the intakes and ash clean out better, too.

I have a new PK360 and have only done two cooks. My father had a classic that did severe duty for years. So when I discovered the new PK360 I began to study and had one on order in fairly short order. Here's what I know thus far:

How are you lighting it?
I use a Weber chimney.
What fuel are you using?
I am a fan of both lump and briquettes. I have used both Rockwood lump and Royal Oak briquettes. I am hoping to land some better briquettes soon.
Broom out the hole and a blower thus far. Plan on a pressure washer from time to time as needed.
  • I like the PK charcoal basket but plan on fabricating something a bit better. I am a hobby machinist and fabricator.
  • I have the Grill Grates - I have a set on another grill and like them.
  • I have now adapted one of the air tubes to use a Guru Pit Viper combustion air blower controlled by a DigiQ or a FireBoard. I have had a DigiQ for years but just ordered a FireBoard this week. Of course a Thermapen and other gadgets as well.

Here is a photo of my first cook. I used lump with a few cherry blocks on a small piece of pork belly for ~7 hours, then added some sausage and wings. The photo isn't the best since the pork is wrapped at that point but it is all I have at this point!

Attachments

• first cook.jpg
    first cook.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 508
  • coals.jpg
    coals.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 508
I have a new PK360 and have only done two cooks. My father had a classic that did severe duty for years. So when I discovered the new PK360 I began to study and had one on order in fairly short order. Here's what I know thus far:

How are you lighting it?
I use a Weber chimney.
What fuel are you using?
I am a fan of both lump and briquettes. I have used both Rockwood lump and Royal Oak briquettes. I am hoping to land some better briquettes soon.
Broom out the hole and a blower thus far. Plan on a pressure washer from time to time as needed.
  • I like the PK charcoal basket but plan on fabricating something a bit better. I am a hobby machinist and fabricator.
  • I have the Grill Grates - I have a set on another grill and like them.
  • I have now adapted one of the air tubes to use a Guru Pit Viper combustion air blower controlled by a DigiQ or a FireBoard. I have had a DigiQ for years but just ordered a FireBoard this week. Of course a Thermapen and other gadgets as well.

Here is a photo of my first cook. I used lump with a few cherry blocks on a small piece of pork belly for ~7 hours, then added some sausage and wings. The photo isn't the best since the pork is wrapped at that point but it is all I have at this point!

Nice! I’ll be really interested in details on the fireboard/fan combo on the 360. Want to do something like that myself!

Last edited:
I use Weber briquettes or B&B lump for fuel

I use the JJ George grill torch to light my charcoal https://www.amazon.com/JJGeorge-Gri...0707485&sr=8-1&keywords=jj+george+grill+torch

I use a paint brush and bucket to clean out or the ash vac I use for my pellet grill https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV2GFIW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Accessory wise I use a set of grill grates I got with my Mak 2 star flipped upside down quite often to get a better sear for burgers and steaks - especially on a tri-tip
I also use a bbq basket from smokin hot bbq which I strongly recommend

I use Weber chimneys day cubes to light fuel
I use Stubs briquettes or Lump depending on cook.
I use Ridge Shop vac to clean/Rinse with grease cleaner if necessary
Found spatula and tongs useful. Use custom made stainless steel basket as charcoal basket. Drip pans useful.

I use Weber briquettes or B&B lump for fuel

I use the JJ George grill torch to light my charcoal https://www.amazon.com/JJGeorge-Gri...0707485&sr=8-1&keywords=jj+george+grill+torch

I use a paint brush and bucket to clean out or the ash vac I use for my pellet grill https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV2GFIW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Accessory wise I use a set of grill grates I got with my Mak 2 star flipped upside down quite often to get a better sear for burgers and steaks - especially on a tri-tip
I also use a bbq basket from smokin hot bbq which I strongly recommend

How exactly do you use the basket? Have you filled it full and run a minion method along the entire length of the cooker? What kind of temp did you run and what burn time did you get?

Have not run the basket full, it comes with 2 dividers so you can divide the basket on the horizontal or verticle axis creating hot and cool zones. Ive divided both ways depending on what I’m cooking. The horizontal divide in the middle allows for a half sheet pan on the left side (fits very very tight) to catch drippings on the cool side. Going verticle I’ve used the Weber gasser grease pans lined up to catch drippings. Haven’t used minion method I just fill the basket and light with the torch, but I really use my PK as a grill not a smoker so longest cooking item I’ve done is Tri-Tip. The primary reason I like the basket is it allows for great airflow which gives faster and higher overall temps when doing a steak. It also keeps the coals condensed allowing for easier cleanup later. I tried the charcoal basket from PK and the holes are too small so I had a hard time getting to higher temps and I found with briquettes that the ash filled the holes quickly making it very frustrating.

Yeah I tried the pk basket and found it just about useless.

My longest cook on my 360 was two racks of ribs that took about 5.5 hours at about 250. I used the PK charcoal basket minion method and the coals would have probably lasted the entire cook but I added a few more unlit about 5 hrs in just to make sure. I also cut the ribs in half and used the PK rib rack.

I also have two 360's and one classic and to me the 360 is well worth it over the classic.

My longest cook on my 360 was two racks of ribs that took about 5.5 hours at about 250. I used the PK charcoal basket minion method and the coals would have probably lasted the entire cook but I added a few more unlit about 5 hrs in just to make sure. I also cut the ribs in half and used the PK rib rack.

I also have two 360's and one classic and to me the 360 is well worth it over the classic.

You’re the first person I’ve talked to that appreciated the pk basket. How did you set it up for the minion method?

Back