Suggestions for a charcoal grill?

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a OKJ Highlander for smoking and a three burner stainless steel Kirkland Signature Series propane grill. I have been bitten by the bug for wanting a charcoal grill. I may have one bought on Offer Up (new in box Weber Master Touch for $150) but its beginning to look like the seller may be balking at the deal after having accepted the offer. He keeps postponing the exchange and I'm getting tired of the deal myself.
I still want a grill and would appreciate suggestions for the best one in the Weber price range. I do not intend to use it as a smoker, just for high heat searing and mostly steak grilling.

The 26" Weber kettle gets a lot of love on here. Gives you a great amount of space to work with and you can smoke with it as well if you don't feel like messing with sticks. I don't think you can go wrong with anything weber, but the extra room on the 26" helps a lot

Well, if we are talking about charcoal grilling, if cost is not an issue, a kamado like the Big Green Egg is the real deal. It will get as hot as you want, literally (I'm talking like 900 degrees if you let it).
You can grill with the lid open or closed. You can get a rotisserie attachment and do open fire grills Brazillian style. People refer to the Kamados as a best "all arounder", but it is really best at grilling. AND you can make charcoal wood fire pizzas

Just go buy the Weber from a local store, it isn't THAT much more than what the guy on offerup was priced at. Can't go wrong with a Weber kettle. Throw a rotisserie on it and you can do just about anything with it.

I bought a Char-Griller Super Pro 30" Barrel Charcoal Grill about 8 years ago and it has cooked everything from hotdogs to brisket. It has a top shelf that's great for bread or veggies after you sear them and the charcoal basket is adjustable to sear steaks as hot as you want. For $140 this thing can do it all and later if you decide you can add a firebox to convert it to an offset. I've smoked butts and brisket in it by setting up a snake and water pan on one side and just let it roll. It has plenty of space and I've cranked out enough chicken and sausage to feed 10-12 people at once.

They haven't changed a thing since I bought mine and it will last if you keep it out of the rain and replace the charcoal basket when it gets worn out. Lowe's sells them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZN-Mlo9Oag

You can pick up a Weber 22" kettle at Walmart for right around $100. Worth every penny! Nothing fancy, but does all I need in a charcoal grill... Fantastic grill for the $$$

Yes. What almost everyone else said. 22" Weber Kettle Premium, or a Weber Performer if you can swing it.

Weber 26. The 22 is cheaper but you'll be glad you paid extra for the 26. I have both and love them but the 26 is my workhorse.

If you cook for more than a handful of people, I strongly recommend the 26.75” Weber kettle. It’s a fantastic grill and smoker! :)

Check criagslist and offer up also George, you can find a weber for cheap to try and see if you like it.
Also this time of year Brickseek is your friend for discounted grills.

Also this time of year Brickseek is your friend for discounted grills.

This. I just checked and there is a Walmart near me showing two of the 22” with ash catcher at $40.00

Which I don’t need Btw as I still have one in a box from a couple years ago when I got three at a $35.00 price

Weber Performer Deluxe. Nice adjacent work surface and propane ignition for the charcoal. Very sweet. The best/latest has a metal top, with a hammertone finish. The older tops were plastic, ugly, and tend to absorb stains.

On our Craigslist, a patient buyer can get a really nice Performer for $200 +/-. Just set up automatic notifications for Performers, sit back and wait.

22 inch Weber is my "go to" grill
Use it for regular grilling of steaks and burgers
Bought a rotisserie and use it for whole chickens and roasts
The vortex is used for wings and cutup chicken

I am partial to my PK original, but a Weber is a great choice too. You really can't go wrong with either one. Where I think the PK takes edge is that it is aluminum and will last forever. Your grandchildren will grill on it. Weber takes the lead when it comes to wings with a Vortex.

I have a twenty year old 22" Weber Kettle that is still soldiering on. I can't count how many fantastic meals I've cooked on it. :-D

For the money, it's the best value out there for a grill. The Weber Kettles rock!

Back