Suggestions for a charcoal grill?

This. I just checked and there is a Walmart near me showing two of the 22” with ash catcher at $40.00

Which I don’t need Btw as I still have one in a box from a couple years ago when I got three at a $35.00 price

It's good to be prepared for every emergency.

I am partial to my PK original, but a Weber is a great choice too. You really can't go wrong with either one. Where I think the PK takes edge is that it is aluminum and will last forever. Your grandchildren will grill on it. Weber takes the lead when it comes to wings with a Vortex.

Until your "Brat" child (me) runs into it with his bicycle,trumps it over and it shatters.Yeah, that happened.To make it worse,it was a vintage one!!! They could have bent a Weber back into shape and kept on grilling. Damn,I miss that old PK.

I am partial to my PK original, but a Weber is a great choice too. You really can't go wrong with either one. Where I think the PK takes edge is that it is aluminum and will last forever. Your grandchildren will grill on it. Weber takes the lead when it comes to wings with a Vortex.

I have a twenty year old 22" Weber Kettle that is still soldiering on. I can't count how many fantastic meals I've cooked on it. :-D

For the money, it's the best value out there for a grill. The Weber Kettles rock!

I have a red '71 22" that's still kicking strong. By my math, it's 47 or so years old ? Still has the original charcoal grate.

I have a OKJ Highlander for smoking and a three burner stainless steel Kirkland Signature Series propane grill. I have been bitten by the bug for wanting a charcoal grill. I may have one bought on Offer Up (new in box Weber Master Touch for $150) but its beginning to look like the seller may be balking at the deal after having accepted the offer. He keeps postponing the exchange and I'm getting tired of the deal myself.
I still want a grill and would appreciate suggestions for the best one in the Weber price range. I do not intend to use it as a smoker, just for high heat searing and mostly steak grilling.

How many would you be cooking for most of the time ? And/or how often would you be cooking for more ?

Weber 26'er's are very nice, but overkill if you are only cooking proteins for 2 people. Now, if you are grilling side item type things as well, or often find yourself grilling for 6 people or more, the 26'er does come in handy.

The Weber Kettle can't be beat for the price. I have several PK grills and prefer them but I still own several Performers and Kettles and still use them occasionally. A kettle with the Vortex is the only way I cook wings these days.

I would also suggest looking on Craigslist or Facebook Market place for used Kettles.

thank you all for your input. I researched every one that I was not familiar with. The end result was/is that the Weber would suit me best.
Meantime, my Offer Up seller woke up this morning and we arranged for consummation of the deal. Went and picked it up and just put it together. This is a serious piece of business, not what I assumed it would be and is quite large enough for anything I need.
The box was unopened an looks to be as shipped or bought. I was rejoicing on having received a healthy item in all respects until I tried to fit the lid on the assembled unit. Then I noticed that there is about a 2-3 inch ding on the lip of the lid. Now I'm not so picky and would straighten it out and forget it. However, I know full well that it will start to rust in that spot and then the unit will eventually go to hell. Which brings up the next question. Have any of you dealt with Weber on replacement of damaged parts and what effect would my after market purchase have on the issue. I don't have the receipt though the box has all the information on it.
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• Weber box.jpg
    Weber box.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Weber comp.jpg
    Weber comp.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Weber lip 1.jpg
    Weber lip 1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 135
  • weber lip.jpg
    weber lip.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 137
I've never had a warranty claim through Weber but if you register the grill they should send you a new lid for free. Hang on to the dented one too in case someday you build a UDS.

I've never had a warranty claim through Weber but if you register the grill they should send you a new lid for free. Hang on to the dented one too in case someday you build a UDS.
Yep. Thanks for this suggestion. Registered it and called them. They're sending a new lid. Great company to deal with.

Until your "Brat" child (me) runs into it with his bicycle,trumps it over and it shatters.Yeah, that happened.To make it worse,it was a vintage one!!! They could have bent a Weber back into shape and kept on grilling. Damn,I miss that old PK.

Nothing short of an anvil is childproof, and I have reservations about that. Children are the most destructive force known to man.

The Weber Kettle can't be beat for the price. I have several PK grills and prefer them but I still own several Performers and Kettles and still use them occasionally. A kettle with the Vortex is the only way I cook wings these days.

I would also suggest looking on Craigslist or Facebook Market place for used Kettles.

A while back when I was considering a PK I sent an email to the company and asked how long it would cook on a load of charcoal on a low and slow cook. He answered back 2 hours which doesn't make sense.

A while back when I was considering a PK I sent an email to the company and asked how long it would cook on a load of charcoal on a low and slow cook. He answered back 2 hours which doesn't make sense.

I can get about 6

I really like my Weber Kettle, and I enjoy cooking on it sometimes. But for year-round grilling (in the cold of winter), it can't compete with my PK360. And it's not even close.

I'm not downing the Kettle. For the money, it really can't be beat. But it does have its shortcomings, while the only shortcoming of the PK360 is price.

Nothing short of an anvil is childproof, and I have reservations about that. Children are the most destructive force known to man.

NO DOUBT!!! I was a terror. Now I have an 8 year old Grandson.When he breaks things,I smile,as his mother fusses.Karma,baby :thumb:

Back