THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

msu12181

Knows what a fatty is.
Any of you guys/gals that have built your own Mini WSM or UDS messed around with an automatic water feed system to your water pan inside in the smoker? I am pondering the idea on how to do that.

I don't use a water pan in mine. I was using a terra cotta planter dish thingee as a heat sink, but I stopped doing that this weeked - at least for the chix I was cooking - I needed more heat.

I don't use a water pan in mine. I was using a terra cotta planter dish thingee as a heat sink, but I stopped doing that this weeked - at least for the chix I was cooking - I needed more heat.

I also use a terracotta planter base. I dont think you need water in a mini. Of course, a lot of people around here will tell you that you don't need water in a WSM either.

Yea I guess my first question was if I even needed something like a water pan or ceramic planter dish to help with heat distribution? I am planning on using my mini WSM as a chicken cooker (higher temps). However, I did have in mind of trying a butt or ribs on it at lower temps (~225-250ish)

Yea I guess my first question was if I even needed something like a water pan or ceramic planter dish to help with heat distribution? I am planning on using my mini WSM as a chicken cooker (higher temps). However, I did have in mind of trying a butt or ribs on it at lower temps (~225-250ish)

Go dry!

I don't get the Tamale pot mod where people drill holes in the base for indirect.

I found a steel canister vac and it fit perfect on a SJ.

IMG_3508.jpg

Using the SJ grate, form an expando ring and wire together.

IMG_3510.jpg

This one is a UDS style intake with 3 holes regulated with ground magnets and I plugged the bottom vent. Very efficient, easy to control.

Stainless steel dog dish for heat sink indirect cook. Foiled over for drip pan, easy clean up.

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

Ain't nothin' it can't do!

IMG_3527.jpg

keep it simple

Back