Griffin’s Old Virginia Red Barbecue Sauce

Hey Bo, can you tell me how this was modified for our modern palates? I'm guessing it might be in the amount of sugar you add. I'm a bit curious because the apple cider vinegar I make is not nearly as sour as what I buy in the store.

This sauce is modeled on what I remember eating as a kid but only using ingredients that were used up and to the 1800s in Virginia.

Here are some of the 20th century influences that I know of. First, the recipe calls for modern versions of the ingredients. The old timers would have probably made their own vinegar out of apples, walnuts, raspberries, or whatever they had on hand. The sugar would probably have been some sort of raw sugar rather than refined white sugar with molasses added (modern brown sugar). Also, they would have used much less sugar. That much liquid to be used on meat would probably have had no more than 2 TBS of sugar at most. Then, of course, I am calling for modern ketchup and modern yellow mustard. Starting in the very late 1800's and early 1900's people developed huge sweet tooths which is probably a result of the explosion in commercially available products starting in that era.

Now, if the vinegar you use isn't as acidic as ACV, reduce the amount of water in the recipe. The sole purpose of the water is to tone down the tang from the vinegar. I put enough water in the recipe to stop my wife and daughter's jaws from cringing when they tasted it. :grin:

How much sauce is created via this recipe?

How much sauce is created via this recipe?

I made a batch yesterday. It filled a 12 oz squeeze bottle and most of a pint-sized mason jar.

Oh and I used it on some ribs last night. Thin enough to cover from the squeeze bottle, but just thick enough to stay put. They were amazing. My wife is demanding I never even think about using anything else on ribs ever again.

We'll see... :grin:

I love your posts. Wrote down the recipe like they did in the old days.
Keep it coming, you're rocking.

When I have tried to make my own ketchup or mustard based sauces before, they have always turned out lumpy. Any thing in particular to do to avoid this?

When I have tried to make my own ketchup or mustard based sauces before, they have always turned out lumpy. Any thing in particular to do to avoid this?

Follow the directions in the recipe and use a whisk to stir rather than a spoon. There are three reasons why you need to heat up the sauce.

First, you need to heat it up to a simmer to make sure that the brown sugar melts into it.

Second, you need to heat it up to make sure that the oils in the spices, mustard and ketchup melts into the sauce. While the mustard adds a little flavor, the real benefit from the mustard comes from its ability to be an emulsifier which helps to hold all of the ingredients together.

Third, you need to heat it up to cook the ketchup. Cooking the ketchup tones down the flavor and helps its flavor to meld with the other flavors in the sauce.

Definitely on my to do list. I've just recently discovered that my father's side of the family was from that area back in the 1700's.

ThankYou!!

I cooked an 11.5 lb Butt on Saturday and on a whim I decided to give this sauce a try sooner than later. I must say this stuff rocks the pig. Today my ole Gray headed a Daddy stopped by for lunch, Pops don't do sauce PERIOD. ......but he did today:heh:
I sauced his samich and gave hims little unsauced on the plate. Knowing his habits I knew he would start with the saminch then hit the stuff on the plate after 1 bite he asked me to fetch the bottle and proceeded to anoint the PP on his plate. I declare this a Winner.

I had the same experience this weekend. A group of about 10 people with 100% approval rating. Great sauce. I guess the griffin sauce is going to be the new go to red around here

I like this stuff as well! Had some this weekend - went over very well. I do prefer the bite of the Shack Attack, but this is a very nice tangy sauce. I threw some the Griffin's Old VA Red in Keri's Hog Apple beans - yeah, do that.

And Bo - I really appreciate these posts of yours - great stuff!

I made some of this with a little bit of changes for my taste. I used some chipotle powder instead of cayenne, I did not add the nutmeg because I am not a fan of the flavor in sauces, and I added just a little white sugar after it had cooked for a bit because both my wife and I thought it was a bit too tangy. This was a really goo starting point though.

Thanks Bo for bringing this sort of history into the forefront!

It really is appreciated! I will be trying this ASAP!

Back