Smoking a Whole Chicken

D

Drumbum77

I'm sure this question has been asked 1,000 times, but I can't seem to find out how to search keywords using thread tools. Maybe someone knows how to do it. I'm probably just overlooking it.

Anyway...I am thinking about smoking my first yard bird and wanted to see if someone could recommend a good rub recipe. After everything I've read...I decided to brine it overnight and do an injection with melted butter and whatever rub I find.

Any tips or rubs would be most appreciated! :-D

There is a site specific Google search box at the bottom of this page.

Plowboy's Yardbird Rub is great. Too late for this cook, but get some for next time.

+1 for plowboys yardbird. You should be able to get that at Bass Pro. I smoked a whole bird this pass weekend. I brined for 4 hrs and let it air dry in the fridge for 4 hrs. the skin was crispy but a bit tuff.

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Pretty much any commercial rub... even simple Lawry's seasoned salt will give you a great result with chicken.

Of you'd prefer to make a rub from scratch, keep that simple too! Some mixed herbs, Paprika, Salt and Pepper... is a great base. Use just that, and work it from there!

Cheers!

Bill

What kind of wood would ya'll recommend? I was thinking of using Apple wood.

good call on brining btw

:thumb:

add the rub under the skin (put the rub on yoru fingers and gently work them under the skin over the breast and thighs)

I don't ever brine small birds, just turkeys. I used to beercan them, now I prefer spatchcocking. As for cookin' I love to just rub it down with a bit of olive oil and use either my comp rub, Plowboys Yardbird or ANY rub from Simply Marvelous. 225 til done. Comes out luscious every time.

Call me an amateur but I had no clue that flattening a bird was called "spatchcocking". I did that to the Cornish Hens I cooked last week and it worked out great. Cooks up nice and even. Now I know and knowing is half the battle! Thanks GreenDrake.

P.S. Here's a great link on how to Spatchcock!

I don't ever brine small birds, just turkeys. I used to beercan them, now I prefer spatchcocking. As for cookin' I love to just rub it down with a bit of olive oil and use either my comp rub, Plowboys Yardbird or ANY rub from Simply Marvelous. 225 til done. Comes out luscious every time.

Last edited:
I dunno, they just called them 'butterfly' in culinary school.

When I smoked my turkey I brined it as well. Used Yardbird on it and made sure to ice the breasts :icon_blush: so that I didnt over cook em.

I use half an onion in the chute,or a 16 oz. Bud throne. Sea salt and onion powder on the outside. Having read some of the other posts I might try brine next time. Live and learn I say...:wink:

I spatchcock all of my birds now,
Oilve oil then rub with Yardbird (sometimes a second coat with Simply Marvelous Cherry or Apple)
as far as crisping the skin...I carefully (two set of tongs) flip mine at about 160 degrees, let it get to temp, or if you really want it crispy i'll finish carefully on my gasser.

Goodluck!

When I spatch my birds, use willyb's bourbon rub, and cook breast down for about 10-15 minutes, then flip bones down, set to roast temp and let them go for awhile. then finish skin down hot and fast for crispyness

Thanks for all of the fast responses! Man El Lobo....that thing looks awesome!

Just trying to get an idea but how long are these guys running most of the time? I was thinking around four hours or so?

I found two birds on sale today a good old Costco for $6.00!!! =) I'm gonna try them a couple of different ways.

I never brine my birds but I have been wanting to. I rub the chicken down with some olive oil and then I season all of my poultry with Simply Marvelous's Season All. I rub them down and let them sit at least 8-12 hours in the fridge before I smoke them.

For smoked chicken lovers that don't worry about "crisp" skin:

Salt heavily with Kosher and leave in fridge for a couple of hours. Rinse, and then use Chris Lilly's loaf pan recipe, but with reduced or no salt in his seasoning since you dry brined.

Chris' technique for some of the juiciest chicken I've ever had, is basically just cooking a small 3.5lb and under broiler in it's own juice, in a 9x5" pan. His seasoning recipe goes really good with the apple sauce/worster slather that drips down into the pan, adding to the juices. Don't smoke at over 300* or the apple sauce will darken too much, and if you want even browning, flip the birds once.

If you want crisp skin, butterfly and grill. If you want juicy smoked chicken though, try the above technique. :thumb:

Back