Thanks for this, I'm gonna need these now! How was the bite and bread feel? They look GREAT!
Thank You MisterChrister. The bite and bread feel was excellent. My only complaints were 1) I put too much salt on them and b) the bottoms were a little to done for the top. (Some were just a little burnt)

If, no scratch that, when I make these again I'll raise the stone up in the kamado so as to cook the top as fast as the bottom.

Well played good sir! My first soft pretzel attempt was sticks. My first attempt at the pretzel shape was a disaster, so I went with sticks afterwards. They tasted great. But with a video, I can try again. Cooked on the BBQ. Inspired!
Thank You BBQ Bacon

We've done them once before, but never thought about a grill or smoker.

guinness-brilliant.jpg
Thank You Nick.

Make sure you have a good coal bed with little to no smoke or they will absorb smoke.

Those look fantastic! We've made them before, but now we have a Pizzaque portable pizza oven that would totally rock some pretzels out!!! They are too easy to not make. Thanks for the inspiration.

A couple weekends ago we were lucky enough to be able to go to the Chippewa Falls, WI Oktoberfest hosted by Leinenkugel's brewery. We had the best horseradish mustard ever there on our pretzels. I dislike horseradish, but this was so dang good! I need to find out what brand it was.
Thank You Yendor. I'm always on the look out for good mustard so let us know what you find out.

Looking great. You brought me back quite a few years when I used to make bagels and pretzels out of the same dough. Similar enough just a different shape.
Thank You Q Junkie. You are correct. These are similar to bagels. Real pretzels would be dripped in a lye solution instead of baking soda. But since lye is caustic most home makers will use the baking soda instead.

Great stuff, they look awesome! Soft pretzels are ridiculously easy to make once you get the twist part down. And about a billion times better than the crappy frozen ones. My wife is a pretzel NUT, so I make 'em with some frequency.

Its a lot more work to go through the whole baking soda, etc, process, but doing them in small bites works awesome for a party or potluck as well.

Thanks for the idea and pictures. They remind me of the ones I had eaten in Europe.

I'm going to try this but makes them in sticks.

When I was a kid my favorite thing in the mall was getting a Hot Sam pretzel......HAD to have one!

That looks fantastic!

if you truly want "pretzel" taste, after the final proof dip the pretzel in lye water and then bake. The longer you keep it in the water, the chewier the final product will be. use about a tablespoon of lye to about a gallon of water. make sure you use 100% lye and that it does not have anything else in it.

Back