Putting Mak 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...

The Wookiee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wow wow wow.

So using this thing as much as possible to figure it’s tendencies since getting it. BIgPoppa had it to me on a Tuesday (ordered prior Thursday; fast!). I put it together alone as I was too excited to wait for help. Easypeasy (but I’m a big fella). Bob Evans log fatty 1st, and since the inaugural I’ve done brisket, pork shoulder, sausages, burgers, salmon, griddled shrimp, pork ribs, corn in husk, skewered asparagus, beans... and I’m sure a few other things I’ve forgotten. Next up home dry aged NY strips... we’ll see if it can really sear...

This thing throws out so much smoke compared to others I’ve cooked on (owned a camp chef and timberline) that I keep checking to make sure nothing is wrong! Great smoke even 275-300... starts to flicker from there but totoally another league for a pellet grill. griddle and searing grates really makes this sucker versatile with flame zone. WiFi is great. Low pellet consumption; fast recovery with the flame zone.

Only major thing to pay attention to is the radiant heat off the grease plate (using flame zone set up) effects long slow cooks done on bottom rack; the grease plate is just under the rack without much clearance left side greater than right- really only an issue if loading it up once you are ware of it. Long smoke on top rack unless space dictates otherwise..

I’m terribly smitten with this beauty. My children named it ‘Felicity the tank engine’.

Sorry no pics yet... ;)

Just pulled the trigger on a MAK 1 Star with the Flame Zone today, looking forward to cooking on it.

You are in for a treat. Amazing folks.. I called after putting together and Dennis at Mak stayed on phone with me while I got WiFi running and chatted me thru all sorts of things, and I called this week to tell them how happy i am and rave about their grill. Fantastic folks beautifully functional product and they are proud of what they do.

Sweet!

I'd need to get rid of my Summit gasser to make room for one. Pretty tempting...

Last thing to do is trim my striploins of dry age bark and check the searing ability... if that’s a go then could totally replace a gasser. Gets to high temp in about same time...

Will definitely keep the brethren abreast of how the steaks turn out... will even try to remember to take pictures to prove it happened!

Just curious...what are your “searing” expectations? Same as a screaming hot pile of lump charcoal? A decent gas grill kinda sear? Or ?? I have the MAK sear grates, and they make a big difference. A cast iron griddle would also make a huge difference. Just some thoughts... [emoji4]

Last edited:
Here it is chugging along at 270... that’s ample smoke for a pellet at 270!

Just pulled the trigger on a MAK 1 Star with the Flame Zone today, looking forward to cooking on it.

Oh yeah!!!

You guys are tempting me. A pellet rig is the only type of cooker I'm missing. I've been in between Yoder, Mak, Memphis Pro. Why did you guys go Mak??

Oh yeah!!!

You guys are tempting me. A pellet rig is the only type of cooker I'm missing. I've been in between Yoder, Mak, Memphis Pro. Why did you guys go Mak??

Great question... and just my opinion after MUCH discussion and research awhile back.

1) Yoder has to many issues for me. Paint, pellet consumption, controller (the controller may have improved in the last year or so, not sure)... just to name a few. I don’t feel like dealing with that.

2) Memphis is pure eye-candy. The aim of Memphis, from best I can tell, is to really attract the high end gas grill kinda buyer. They get HOT! They also go low n slow, but not like a MAK, or even a Yoder for that matter. I really don’t have much to knock about the Memphis... and probably would’ve gone with one if high temp grilling was my #1 priority with a pellet cooker.

3) I went with MAK for a few reasons:
- The company itself. Just call and talk with them... you’ll see. They are no joke! :)
- The crazy-good build quality. Not that Memphis is lacking.
- The smoke production, even when cooking at higher temps (275-325°). It’s very impressive.
- As far as grilling, although it doesn’t compete with a raging lump charcoal fire when cooking steaks... it is one of the best overall grills that I have ever cooked on. Super even heat, intense radiant/semi-direct heat with the Flame-Zone setup, and some of the best overall results I have ever had from a grill... and I have had some pretty nice grills over the years.

Those are some of my reasons. Again, this is all my opinion, and I am in no way trying to knock the competition... because there are MANY happy Yoder and Memphis owners :)

One of the main reasons I went with the MAK was build quality. I know the MAK will last a long time, so the extra cost is worth it. It has a great PID controller, pellet dump, beefy auger system, new style flash fire ignition (with lifetime warranty), Flame zone for grilling. It puts out great food, and don't have to baby sit it.

Thanks Robb!

I remember you did quite a bit of research before buying your MAK. I'm very tempted. I'm not worried about searing because I won't use it for that. Any essential accessories you'd recommend just to use it for smoking?

Great question... and just my opinion after MUCH discussion and research awhile back.

1) Yoder has to many issues for me. Paint, pellet consumption, controller (the controller may have improved in the last year or so, not sure)... just to name a few. I don’t feel like dealing with that.

2) Memphis is pure eye-candy. The aim of Memphis, from best I can tell, is to really attract the high end gas grill kinda buyer. They get HOT! They also go low n slow, but not like a MAK, or even a Yoder for that matter. I really don’t have much to knock about the Memphis... and probably would’ve gone with one if high temp grilling was my #1 priority with a pellet cooker.

3) I went with MAK for a few reasons:
- The company itself. Just call and talk with them... you’ll see. They are no joke! :)
- The crazy-good build quality. Not that Memphis is lacking.
- The smoke production, even when cooking at higher temps (275-325°). It’s very impressive.
- As far as grilling, although it doesn’t compete with a raging lump charcoal fire when cooking steaks... it is one of the best overall grills that I have ever cooked on. Super even heat, intense radiant/semi-direct heat with the Flame-Zone setup, and some of the best overall results I have ever had from a grill... and I have had some pretty nice grills over the years.

Those are some of my reasons. Again, this is all my opinion, and I am in no way trying to knock the competition... because there are MANY happy Yoder and Memphis owners :)

I am not a Mak user, but I would say you would want the additional top grate, and the front shelf. Shelf isn't as necessary, but it is nice to have a place to hold your pan, while adding and removing meat. Both of which, are standard on the Yoder, by the way. Also, I would get a couple different sizes, of Amaze-n-Tubes.

Back