MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

I wish this picture could capture the sizzling effect of the grill grates, first time I have used them on this grill, wont be the last. 15 min. in the smoke box and a couple per side in the GG. Daughter and wife approved.

Looks understanding, Tom!

What size GrillGrates do you have?

I have 2 two piece sets 16" & 19" the 19 will span front to back. I believe four 19 grates would fill up the cooker perfectly full but it is not recommended, something about air flow IIRC

You wish? Just saying Tom.

I wish this picture could capture the sizzling effect of the grill grates, first time I have used them on this grill, wont be the last. 15 min. in the smoke box and a couple per side in the GG. Daughter and wife approved.

BWGuIPlh.jpg

iNI6C8Fh.jpg

I have 2 two piece sets 16" & 19" the 19 will span front to back. I believe four 19 grates would fill up the cooker perfectly full but it is not recommended, something about air flow IIRC

Thanks. GrillGrates recommends 17.375" for MAKs. I wonder how those would fit?

Thanks. GrillGrates recommends 17.375" for MAKs. I wonder how those would fit?

The 17.375” will slide around on the main grate... kind of a pain in the rear if ya ask me. Would you want GrillGrates for both sides, the flat and raised? Tom has them upside down and they really kick butt like that. They act as a griddle but also let much of the grease drip through which in my opinion makes for a drier surface/better sear.

Can you or Robb tell us more about any secrets to keeping The MAK clean inside and out? I appreciate the tip on cleaning the fire pot after every cook, regardless of length of cook from Robb...is the SD-20 safe on all outward facing surfaces of the cooker? Any inside cooker cleaning tips - including to foil or not to foil?

Last question is with regard to fish... does cooking fish in the MAK tend to leave any residual smells? If that happens - any tips to eradicate?:fish2:

As far as keeping clean, are you cooking on a 1 or 2 Star? Can’t remember [emoji3061]

The 17.375” will slide around on the main grate... kind of a pain in the rear if ya ask me. Would you want GrillGrates for both sides, the flat and raised? Tom has them upside down and they really kick butt like that. They act as a griddle but also let much of the grease drip through which in my opinion makes for a drier surface/better sear.

I was thinking about getting the MAK sear grates and griddle in the future. But Tom’s burgers piqued my interest in GrillGrates. Still leaning to the MAK accessories.

When people use the upper shelf do they usually move the roaming probe up there or leave it hanging in its default location and use that temp reading?

When people use the upper shelf do they usually move the roaming probe up there or leave it hanging in its default location and use that temp reading?

Personal preference and depends on how picky you are. I rarely if ever move mine. Some guys love having the more accurate temp readings and move it accordingly. It works as advertised based on my testing of it. To each their own :)

Thats better than my Washington DC UPS experience. Item loaded onto the truck - out for delivery - truck at facility - package not delivered - reason: Too early (it would've been a day early)

So keep them when cleaning the pot and re-seed them afterwords?

What was your best temp/time for smoke flavor?

If you're going to clean your firepot / grill and know you'll be using the grill again soon you can definitely just dump it and set them back in there for the next startup. You don't have to do that. It will just speed up startup time.

My MAK 2 Star is now complete! I decided to order the front shelf and a full size grate. Why did I wait a year?
ec669ce7039dc205047f727924002dbe.jpg

b50d3390aa0deb267af258f7dea2b8eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that paper towel holder come with the front shelf?

Just ordered the Mak Mobile with my discount that we received from the group buy!:clap2: What is everyone else getting?

Just ordered the Mak Mobile with my discount that we received from the group buy!:clap2: What is everyone else getting?

Well I was looking hard at the sear grates until I saw the front shelf picture. Now I'm torn.

Back