I did the unthinkable according to my wife...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
From time to time we find ourselves walking through our local Dollar Tree store. On numerous occasions I have seen signs that state they sell $1 ribeye steaks. Well, a week or so back I made the decision, much to my wife’s disgust, that I just had to give them a whirl. With the decision made I found two that had excellent marbling... lol. One almost looked like a thinly sliced Wagyu ribeye. Seriously! They are about 1/8” thick and are “mechanically tenderized”... yummy... I think [emoji27].

Here they are:
8fc14e7b97c9da835bf8f3ad0e842a98.jpg

Check out the marbling:
543b87e85ba09ebfd0cd9dc59ef45808.jpg

They come pre-seasoned so I did nothing else to them.

I cooked them from frozen. I wanted HOT and FAST with a 50-60 second sear on each side. I went with my Vortex filled with raging hot lump charcoal:
ff4f438fabc696e55fce1801409ccae5.jpg

Boom Boom Boom!
4c9bfb458df2669acb06635d45724649.jpg

1dfa54ecf14447073a8b7caeef2180ae.jpg

c13afcbffedc79fa94abcadde5997f45.jpg

And the $$$ shot... LOL!
04ba2e675b7b6e16c3a3f5c2e50ccea5.jpg

How was it you ask? Well, it definitely is NOT Wagyu!! I would not serve it to family or friends for dinner... BUT, I am guessing it would probably make a rather tasty steak sandwich.

I dare you... if you happen to see the $1 ribeyes... buy one or two and give em’ a try. Heck, it’s been 6 hours since I consumed it and I am still alive :)

Curious your opinion on using for a CFS? If I’ve been in a true dollar store I do not remember it. Bromo and dextrose screams CFS.

I’ve got to know

Tenderized with Bromelain? I'll bet even Amazon doesn't sell that . Thanks for the review, but I think I will stick to my Bromelain-free diet.

You are braver than me.

Try smoking it!

A friend on mine used to say that a smoker can make a dog turd taste good.
I never tested his theory, but $1 steak looks close enough to confirm it to me! LOL!

Chris

Last edited:
That fat pattern isn't very characteristic for a rib eye. Seems like it wasnt just mechanically tenderized, probably formed too. Hope your survive the night, and thanks for letting me know I wasnt wrong to laugh away the thought of buying meat at the dollar store!

Curious your opinion on using for a CFS? If I’ve been in a true dollar store I do not remember it. Bromo and dextrose screams CFS.

I’ve got to know

Sitting here scratching my head... CFS? Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is the only thing I can think of...

$1 for 3.5 oz works out to about $4.60/lb. Accounting for the 30% solution takes you up to ~$5.95, which is close to the 4th of July sale price at my local grocer.

Wasn't familiar with Bromelain, so I had to look it up:

Overview
Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme mixture derived from the stem, fruit, and juice of the pineapple plant. It has a centuries-long history of being used to treat medical ailments, primarily throughout Central and South America. It is currently categorized as a dietary supplement, and generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

So pineapple extract, I guess? But this was interesting:

Side effects and risks
As with all supplements, it’s important to discuss bromelain with your doctor prior to using it. Bromelain may cause mild side effects in some people, particularly when taken in high doses. These include:

- diarrhea
- nausea
- vomiting
- heavier-than-normal menstrual bleeding

Avoid using bromelain if you take a blood thinner, such as Warfarin, Pradaxa, and others. Bromelain may have an antiplatelet effect on the blood, increasing the potential for excessive bleeding. For this reason, it’s also important to avoid bromelain use before and after surgery.

I believe that the risk is fairly low, but I'll pass on this one.

Back