BGE vs Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

Like i said. Big sufferer of buyers remorse. Just read on the site Amazing Ribs that the reviewer had trouble getting steady temps and couldn't go below. 250*! Also ran out of charcoal after 9 hours. I know that a guy did like forever hours w no food in the things but now I'm nervous
Thoughts?

There is no reload with any of the ceramic/kamado style cookers. Whether it be KJ, BGE, Primo, etc., you use lump instead of briquettes. The lump will last long beyond anything you cook. At the end of the cook, you close the dampers, the fire is out, and you typically have lump left for the next cook. Even on my Akorn over the winter in Florida, an 18 pound bag of Royal Oak lasted 3 1/2 months with an average 3xweek use.

Like i said. Big sufferer of buyers remorse. Just read on the site Amazing Ribs that the reviewer had trouble getting steady temps and couldn't go below. 250*! Also ran out of charcoal after 9 hours. I know that a guy did like forever hours w no food in the things but now I'm nervous
Thoughts?

A ceramic will have much higher thermal mass than the Webber and should be a bit more stable in temps, but if the reviewer could not get stable temps and more than 9 hours out of the Summit, I am thinking something wasn't assembled correctly or more likely it is a serious case of user error.

I'm with fine on this one, something isn't right with the reviewer, good Lord, my drum will run longer than that .

There was a guy a week or so ago that had a guru and I don't know what else on his Summit to control the temps and was ready to sell it after his first cook because temps were all over the place and the fine folks on the forum were offering to buy it from him!! The next run he took all gadgets and gizmos off and just let'er roll, held perfect temps... I'll see if I can find the thread...

Here ya go, read it all but post #23 is the money shot

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230235&page=2

Thoughts?
After over 3 decades of steady temps in a kettle, I vote for user error.

After over 3 decades of steady temps in a kettle, I vote for user error.

I can't get my 22" Kettle to maintain temps - tho I can keep it in the range of 225 - 250 - if the day is not frigid and I don't run out of charcoal
I am hoping that the summit will be better

I can't get my 22" Kettle to maintain temps - tho I can keep it in the range of 225 - 250 - if the day is not frigid and I don't run out of charcoal
It's the same with any cooker. I find that the trick is to catch the temp on the way up. A too low temp can be fixed by opening up the vent a little. Once it goes over, coals have to extinguish themselves for the temp to go down. The goal to aim for is an average temp, a difference over a short period of time is not important.

Jeebus, for that price I can get two large BGE demo eggs. Kinda seems like they're cashing in on the name more than anything.

How much?
It will all depend on where you buy it. Primos are generally more expensive that Kamado Joes and more in line with a BGE. My XL Oval with the cart was abound $1700. but it was a killer deal I stumbled on to. I think the Weber Summit is a great grill as well I just like my kamodos.

Your oven in the kitchen doesn't stay at 225° either, they are all a roller coaster, I don't care what it is, or who made it. The temp isn't going to be a flatline, not possible (yes, even if you have a guru thingy hooked up.) there is nothing in the world wrong with a 25° temp swing and no one said you have to cook at 225° either. I've got baby backs on the drum now, it settled in at about 315°, why fight it, just let'er roll! Will the ribs be done a little early? Yep, but it's better the the meat to be done early than late.

Ok, so I have had my WSCG for two weekends now and have done 4 cooks. What I can say is this:
1) once you get the temp dialed in, it is rock steady. I had a 3 hour spell on a 6 hour pork shoulder cook where the WSCG held its temp +/- 1 degree for nearly 3 hours. No ATC.
2) it does have a high thermal mass, probably not as high as a ceramic, but on my initial cook I over shot my temperature by 150 deg F. After I shut all vents, it took 45 min to get down to my desired temp range.
3) the ATC (BBQ guru DidgiQ dx2) was easy to set up, initially it over shot the target (think I need to manage the fan damper), but then kept steady temps overnight.
4) it's very efficient, I ran a 15-17 hours brisket cook and only used about 1/3 Kingsford blue (19 lb bag).
5) if you are planning a low and slow cook, be careful with how many coals you start, or how long you keep the gas assist on, because it is so easy to get a temperature excursion.
6) I love the two tier charcoal grate setting. I keep it on lower setting for smoking, I keep it on the higher setting for higher temp indirect/direct cooking.

That is what I have learned about this beast so far.

There ya go Mark, that's real world experience for ya...

tough to find anyone with experience on the summit. I would think weber would put out a good product and I too suffer from buyers remorse. if I were buying one TODAY and price didn't matter I would go with one of the 3 ceramics kj, primo, bge if you plan on hauling it around I'd get an acorn just because they have been time tested in a year or two I may have a different answer, you asked for my opinion that's it. good luck

Well then he could go with a Primo XL Oval which is also made in USA. Best purchase I ever made.
I was once a huge Primo fan back around 2008-2009. That was before I replaced 3 cracked fireboxes, 2 sets of the junk porcelain coated grates, 2 hinge assemblies and 6 sets of the PITA to change cheap gaskets. All in less than 7 years. They are great cookers but cannot stand 4-5 days a week use.

If I could sell my Big Joe I would, so I could put the money towards the weber summit.

Back