MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

You're killin me Jeremy and Robb! I can't wait to be able to go outside and use my MAK again...

Report: First rib cook ever!

There is enough MAK content in here that I'm posting to this thread rather than to the main board.

You all gave me great advice before this cook. Robb's comments about trying new things and mixing it up really hit home. They reminded me of when I was learning to snowboard. I couldn't figure it out, so I took a lesson. I would ask my instructor questions, and he answered most of them with, "You just gotta feeeel it, maaaaaan." Ultimately, he was right. After a while, I figured it out.

I decided to stop being intimidated by this process (mostly because of past, ruined cooks with other cookers that cost a lot of money and time and resulted in disappointed family and sometimes guests) and just go for it.

Three racks of Swift minimally-processed St. Louis ribs from Costco. One with just S&P, two rubbed with Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork rub. Two hours dry brining. Next time, I'll use more rub and also brine them overnight.

Cookin' Pellets Perfect Mix. One hour on Smoke, then about five hours at 220 and 30 minutes at 250. Spritzed once an hour in the middle of the cook with 1/2 ACV, 1/2 water. Sauced one of the Oakridge racks with MAK Rum Grilling Sauce 30 minutes before taking them off.

Results were mixed (but read on). The salt-and-pepper rack was not good, probably because I didn't cook it for nearly long enough. I couldn't cut the ribs apart in a certain part of the rack. The sauced, rubbed rack was very meaty and tender, not falling off the bone, but rather a perfect chew. Mild smoke flavor, lots of meat flavor. But just very good, not excellent. It was so easy to cook this, so I should be satisfied with very good, right?

Then we get to the third rack. I put this in the upper rack at the back (red arrow in photos). It was the thinnest of the three racks. And it was awesome! Plenty of delicious smoke, meat, and rub flavor. There is NO WAY I should be able to cook a rack of ribs like this and have it come out this good for being this easy!!!

Now the only trick will be to repeat it so all my ribs come out like this rack. I'm pretty sure one or two racks were not cooked long enough. Maybe I need to pull the ones that are done first and continue the cook? Or cook them all on the upper racks, using the very top rack slot and the one beneath it?

Just put them on:
picture.php

Sauced rack came out looking amazing, but it wasn't the most flavorful one:
picture.php

Way too many ribs for two people! (Our daughter won't eat ribs because of the bones):
picture.php

As served, with Guatemalan black beans and rice. No vegetable tonight because we're running out:
picture.php

Last edited:
The ones that weee tough and hard to cut apart more than likely wasn’t done.

A really good way to check if they are done is the bend test. I’ll have to look for a pic as an example...

Either way they all have killer color!

p.s. vegetables are overrated...

Thanks, 4ever3. I did the bend test and it seemed to work. And they were at 190 degrees. I was afraid of overcooking them, so I pulled them. But I'm sure you are right.

Report: First rib cook ever!

There is enough MAK content in here that I'm posting to this thread rather than to the main board.

You all gave me great advice before this cook. Robb's comments about trying new things and mixing it up really hit home. They reminded me of when I was learning to snowboard. I couldn't figure it out, so I took a lesson. I would ask my instructor questions, and he answered most of them with, "You just gotta feeeel it, maaaaaan." Ultimately, he was right. After a while, I figured it out.

I decided to stop being intimidated by this process (mostly because of past, ruined cooks with other cookers that cost a lot of money and time and resulted in disappointed family and sometimes guests) and just go for it.

Three racks of Swift minimally-processed St. Louis ribs from Costco. One with just S&P, two rubbed with Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork rub. Two hours dry brining. Next time, I'll use more rub and also brine them overnight.

Cookin' Pellets Perfect Mix. One hour on Smoke, then about five hours at 220 and 30 minutes at 250. Spritzed once an hour in the middle of the cook with 1/2 ACV, 1/2 water. Sauced one of the Oakridge racks with MAK Rum Grilling Sauce 30 minutes before taking them off.

Results were mixed (but read on). The salt-and-pepper rack was not good, probably because I didn't cook it for nearly long enough. I couldn't cut the ribs apart in a certain part of the rack. The sauced, rubbed rack was very meaty and tender, not falling off the bone, but rather a perfect chew. Mild smoke flavor, lots of meat flavor. But just very good, not excellent. It was so easy to cook this, so I should be satisfied with very good, right?

Then we get to the third rack. I put this in the upper rack at the back (red arrow in photos). It was the thinnest of the three racks. And it was awesome! Plenty of delicious smoke, meat, and rub flavor. There is NO WAY I should be able to cook a rack of ribs like this and have it come out this good for being this easy!!!

Now the only trick will be to repeat it so all my ribs come out like this rack. I'm pretty sure one or two racks were not cooked long enough. Maybe I need to pull the ones that are done first and continue the cook? Or cook them all on the upper racks, using the very top rack slot and the one beneath it?

Just put them on:
picture.php

Sauced rack came out looking amazing, but it wasn't the most flavorful one:
picture.php

Way too many ribs for two people! (Our daughter won't eat ribs because of the bones):
picture.php

As served, with Guatemalan black beans and rice. No vegetable tonight because we're running out:
picture.php

Pics looks killer, Johnny!! Even nailing 1 rack on your first attempt is a nice accomplishment :) The issue with the other 2 you’re talking about is definitely nothing more than a lack of cook time. Based on my experience with St. Louis ribs and cooking on the MAK at those temps... you were probably about 1.5-2 hours short of tender ribs. Personally, I never probe ribs for temp. It’s all about look (meat pullback/bone exposure), bend test and IMO the best test... the toothpick. I don’t even check “bendability” until the toothpick probes like butter. If ya don’t want the cook to take quite soooo long, skip the 220° step and go straight to 245° for the long haul. You’re gonna be turning out world class ribs in no time buddy. Hardest part is keeping everyone convinced of all the labor ya had to put into manning the smoker... lol.

Last edited:
Pics looks killer, Johnny!! Even nailing 1 rack on your first attempt is a nice accomplishment :) The issue with the other 2 you’re talking about is definitely nothing more than a lack of cook time. Based on my experience with St. Louis ribs and cooking on the MAK at those temps... you were probably about 1.5-2 hours short of tender ribs. Personally, I never probe ribs for temp. It’s all about look (bone pullback), bend test and IMO the best test... the toothpick. I don’t even check “bendability” until the toothpick probes like butter. If ya don’t want the cook to take quite soooo long, skip the 220° step and go straight to 245° for the long haul. You’re gonna be turning out world class ribs in no time buddy. Hardest part is keeping everyone convinced of all the labor ya had to put into manning the smoker... lol.

Thanks, Robb! I will try out both approaches: super long ‘n low, and higher temps. And your test method. I am loving this MAK! Best thing I’ve bought in ages. :D

Feel free to stop us ANYTIME if we’re talkin’ hot sauce... lol.

Will have to give Valentina a whirl :)

Hot sauce derail time.

The link below is to a site of a guy that I have been acquainted with through competition barbecue for over 20 years. His name is Richard Westhaver and his competition team was Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders. Anyway, he has three hot sauces that pepper heads might be interested in checking out.

These sauces have won numerous awards over the years and continue to win awards annually.

I recommend that you try them and you might find that you like them enough to be put into your rotation.

I have no affiliation, I just like them. Two of them are sweet hot sauces and then the mustard reminds a of hot mustard sauce from the US.

https://dirtydickshotsauce.com/

Also can be ordered from Amazon.

Also I'll add this while the edit is still up:

I love Sriracha, Chili Garlic Sauce and Sambal Oelek all made by Huy Fong Foods, Inc.

Also like to try others, but these are the main ones I keep coming to

Robert

Last edited:
I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the best smoke flavor into hamburger on a Mak 1 Star, no flame zone, no sear grates. Smoke at smoke setting or 225 for a time then increase temp to 350-400? What would you long time Mak owners suggest?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the best smoke flavor into hamburger on a Mak 1 Star, no flame zone, no sear grates. Smoke at smoke setting or 225 for a time then increase temp to 350-400? What would you long time Mak owners suggest?

If you google “no flip pellet burgers” you’ll find low n slow burgers pretty popular. Personally, I prefer them done from start to finish at 400°. Juicy as all get out... :)

That said, I think I may load down my MAK with burgers next time and go start to finish @ 275°. Kind of a happy medium that I’d be curious to see how they turn out.

Sorry gentlemen, got tied up. They were simple but yummy! Regular crust for the kids (first pic), and a cauliflower crust for my wife and I (last 2 pics).
82a09aaa57f88b456ed4dbadcdbabe1b.jpg

cba8ce59fe2603f0f60f1c5a1b272f95.jpg

385fafaec34f8d99f750253264736594.jpg
The pies look awesome! What temp do your normally run and do you use a stone or a steel pan?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wanna strip away bunches of calories and carbs, add nutrients and still enjoy a very tasty dinner... I double-dog dare ya to give bell pepper nachos a try! Simply grill/griddle/char up a mess of pepper strips and use them instead of chips. One of our favorite and easy weeknight meals to MAKe! [emoji39][emoji39]
de0a23ebe8ae0e182bf3e7f20bd7cbdb.jpg

a7fbb922043a1a72ce28232e473121d2.jpg

I bet Taco Bell's spidey senses just went off the charts. I can see it now...

TACO BELL INTRODUCES...
Bell Pepper Nachos Bell Grande

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Went out to check the cooker just now and had a flame out alarm going off, surface of the brisket is ambient temp, IT is 110°...

Going to the trash...

Probably my fault for not cleaning the fire pot for a few days and cooking at low temps.

That's disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back