my bad luck

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
so... it has just been one of those weeks where nothing seems to go according to plan. outside of 3 successful cooks on my brand new PBC, the lid dropped onto the driveway and must have landed just right because now on one side the rounded edge is flat from the impact and will not sit properly on top of the pbc. i have tried to use pliers to fix it, but alas im un able to. has anyone had a problem like that? if so how did you fix it? im trying naything outside of ordering a replacement for it as dings and scratches are a little character defining.

thank you for helping

You should be able to take a hammer and a small flat punch and work it right out with a little patience. Lay the lid on a heavy piece of wood as a back up and it should tap right out with the flat punch. Again, use a good and sturdy wooden back up.

Drop it the exact opposite of the first time...... :loco:

Pliers or hammer n punch or ........

Some people would demand that it be returned to pristine -Looks like you are willing to put up with it having some "battle scars" - good on you. I would think that would make it a bit easier to take the pliers and the blowtorch and "Get Medieval" with it. patience- cold beverages- time. It will work out.

Something that has the same or close to the same diameter of the lid groove, a bolt, piece of rebar,something on that order, tap it in the groove, reform the groove with a ball peen hammer. It will take some time, but you can form it back very close to original that way.

Work it little by little, and just be patient. Don't get upset or make a big move. That's what's great about metal, it can be worked and fixed. Unlike wood, every time I cut the board, it is still too short!

so... it has just been one of those weeks where nothing seems to go according to plan. outside of 3 successful cooks on my brand new PBC, the lid dropped onto the driveway and must have landed just right because now on one side the rounded edge is flat from the impact and will not sit properly on top of the pbc. i have tried to use pliers to fix it, but alas im un able to. has anyone had a problem like that? if so how did you fix it? im trying naything outside of ordering a replacement for it as dings and scratches are a little character defining.

thank you for helping

I'm a big believer in education and experience, and it sounds like this job is too much for you with the tools you're using.

Break out Google and find a metal fabricator/welder in your area. Sounds like a $25 dollar job, and it'll be done right.

thank you all for the help! ill get to work on it probably on monday since its an off day for me.

Or a farmer.

Farmer would be a great choice: most have fixed most everything on their place at one time or another. Save that, most welders would also be capable.

Back