The Farewell Cook

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Before I corral all of my cookers and hike a few miles east, the wife wanted to do one more cook and invite some of the neighbors who made our Georgia transition easy. Plus one of them gave our kids a Christmas treat and this will pay it back somehow. I just hate loose ends.

Doing brisket and pulled pork with Black Ops. I also dusted some meatballs with some rib rub and threw it on as a snack. Didn’t have any bacon for moinks. Still haven’t figured out the sides yet either but it’s set for around 3-4pm. My neighbors are old and must have been Great Depression babies.

e4721ae66bedcd44a5e9ef88c3ce3995.jpg

314987856bb9bacd4b2cb0d852a63f06.jpg

b6e3786359a59e20d68b48e2feb713ed.jpg

Now that I look at the pork, I didn’t spread the rub evenly enough. These damn night cooks...

Sometimes a second dusting mid cook turns out better then one heavy coat. I would give it another coat before you wrap (if you're wrapping)

No loose ends. :nod: Where the fark are you going now? Don't continue too east and end up in the Atlantic. :laugh:

Looking great!! :thumb:

No loose ends. :nod: Where the fark are you going now? Don't continue too east and end up in the Atlantic. :laugh:

Looking great!! :thumb:

I’ll be in an unincorporated area of Monroe, GA. Basically 14 miles northeast from where I am now BUT I lose my AT&T fiber and forced to go DSL like it’s 1999. It’s all woods. The house was built in the 80s and never been updated since. From the roof to the shaglike carpet. And my god the toilets... my kids love them because it’s like 12 inches off the ground and takes 6 gallons to flush. And wallpaper that looks and smells like it has seen every bit of the last 30 years of its existence.

But having ten acres all to myself...

Forget about the brisket and butt. I'll take them meatballs on a diner roll w/slaw please.

45 min a split? Ouch. I don't think i could handle that on a overnight cook. If i ever buy a stick burner, it would have to be a 6am till....done whenever that is. No way i am tending to a fire all night.

When I wrapped it around 4am the brisket was at 173 and the butt was 158. I was afraid the brisket would be finishing early but the pork has slowly gained on the beef. Looks like I’m on pace for a 4-5 hour hold.

f1b6d8d46360ae94546a42d6f2703d8f.jpg

You folks are going to eat well today... and those meatballs! Excellent chef's treat during the cook.

Now THAT's a farewell cook. Those neighbors will love it. The balls look great, and there's nothing fugly about that butt!

That's a nice area. A co-worker used to live there, near the Golf Club. Company I work for has a mfg plant up in Winder. I think next year Winder is going to re-open the Jug Tavern Festival. That's a fun time.

Man, what an afternoon. Everyone enjoyed the food and company. Sides happened to be everything Bojangles had to offer, which was okay. For the Texans in here, it’s like a poor man’s Golden Chick. Not even on Chicken Express level.

Maybe it’s a regional thing but as I was carving up some fatty slices for the wife, one of the neighbors (she’s 89) asked for chopped beef. Chopped! I didn’t skip a beat though and grabbed some lean slices and butchered it to a paste of meat and bark. Snobbery has its places and it’s definitely not for last impressions.

I also didn’t have my brisket knife. I was hacking at the brisket with a serrated bread knife because most of the kitchen stuff was semi packed. I was stopped from rummaging through the neatly stacked boxes in the garage. No one seemed to notice.

ee1296ba7b95ae034d5d2718649e839b.jpg

Everyone left with vac sealed bags of chopped brisket and pulled pork. Didn’t get any pics of those though.

f032d74d5e4266c1658cc1be2cd1e146.jpg

Man, what an afternoon. Everyone enjoyed the food and company. Sides happened to be everything Bojangles had to offer, which was okay. For the Texans in here, it’s like a poor man’s Golden Chick. Not even on Chicken Express level.

Maybe it’s a regional thing but as I was carving up some fatty slices for the wife, one of the neighbors (she’s 89) asked for chopped beef. Chopped! I didn’t skip a beat though and grabbed some lean slices and butchered it to a paste of meat and bark. Snobbery has its places and it’s definitely not for last impressions.

I also didn’t have my brisket knife. I was hacking at the brisket with a serrated bread knife because most of the kitchen stuff was semi packed. I was stopped from rummaging through the neatly stacked boxes in the garage. No one seemed to notice.

ee1296ba7b95ae034d5d2718649e839b.jpg

Everyone left with vac sealed bags of chopped brisket and pulled pork. Didn’t get any pics of those though.

f032d74d5e4266c1658cc1be2cd1e146.jpg

It all looks good. Believe it or not, chopped brisket is a thing down in Ga. Then again, so is chopped pork instead of pulled pork. At least it was that way when I lived down in Columbus.

Back