BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #5 - Pork Belly (Comes to an end on 7/31!)

Haven't taken the Asian belly approach yet. Still working my way through simple BBQ/smoked belly. Here's my entry into the Challenge...

Started with some belly brined 3 weeks in our house Cider Soak (cider & honey). I call this "terminal belleh" as there is no cure:
bellehBrined.jpg

Dusted it up with our latest rub - Sugar & Spice (brownulated sugar with a blend of spices. Mostly sweet with a little heat)
bellehDusted.jpg

Into the Backwoods Competitor @ 235º with some apple wood given to me by a customer as a tip.
bellehSmoker.jpg

A couple of hours later & after resting a bit (hence the juice/fat in the pan)
doneBelleh01.jpg

doneBelleh02.jpg

As the rules state Pork Belly has to be the primary feature, I went with a simple belly slider with a side of house candied jalapenos. (Not shown in the photo is a drizzle of our Rock Candy BBQ sauce made with the jalapeno syrup & local honey - added that after the pic)
bellehSlider.jpg

So there's my entry - The Pork Belleh Slider.

I'll toss out one additional pic. Not sure if this would have qualified, but what we actually did with this pork belly at the Hut was make The PB&J Sandwich: Pork Belly, Brisket & Candied Jalapeno:
pbj.jpg

cheers,

Ok, I wasn't going to enter in this one, but it is taking so long, I figured I could help hurry things up a bit. I went to the Asian market to get some pork belly, but all they had was sliced.

IMG_7313.jpg

I didn't think that would be a problem, as we're even allowed to mince and make sausage out of these things if we like. I spiced up both sides with a secret blend of spices and a liberal amount of dark brown sugar.

IMG_7314.jpg

I smoked this with a chunk of cherry wood at 325*.

IMG_7322.jpg

During the cook I added additional brown sugar. Here is the result.

IMG_7328.jpg

Probably the best candy I've made.

Last edited:
Gore,
Not quite what I was looking for in an entry, but I really appreciate you stepping up and throwing down. :thumb: Maybe I'll see what I can come up with next weekend, since I got the belly.

Is brining the pork critical to this dish? Or can I just take some belly, rub it, smoke it and slice it?

Brining definitely adds flavor & a bit of extra moisture to the belly - but not necessary. You also do not need to brine for 3 weeks. A couple of days will even add some flavor to the mix. I run them 3 weeks to get the most out of the brine flavors.

Rub - smoke - slice works too. I do that for the belly I use in my collard greens.

Just took some of the left over sugar & spice belly, fried it & made a BLT for lunch. Personally, I think uncured belly is better than bacon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Bacon!!!

Well, this has dragged on long enough that I'm going to have to enter. I didn't think it would still be open. My first time working with a pork belly, and first time making bacon.

First up, my pork belly. This is a 11.5# pork belly.
P1000171.JPG

P1000172.JPG

And of course the nipples that so grossed out my wife and everyone else she told:
P1000170.JPG

Here it is carved up into four pieces. The big piece was regular bacon, the next piece was pepper bacon, the third was just smoked without curing, and the rest went into sausage I made later in the week.
P1000179.JPG

P1000177.JPG

Into the cure:
P1000180.JPG

After that, it was place in a ziplock bag. Note to anyone who wants to play along, be very careful not to get salt on the zipper when putting the bacon into the bag or you'll never get them to seal. After 6 days, the belly was firm and looked like this:
P1000181.JPG

I got a new toy just in time to make the bacon. Hiding under the box is an Pitmaster iQue110. It was spiting rain all day, so the iQue went in a cake pan under the box.
P1000188.JPG

Smoker set to 180*. The iQue did it's job beautifully.
P1000191.JPG

No pics uploaded of the bacon after it came off the smoker, because running the smoker so low in temp didn't get the lid hot enough to evaporate the steam, and I had ugly black splotches on my bacon. :doh:

Refrigerate, slice up and into the pan:
P1000208.JPG

P1000210.JPG

Dang!

And on to waiting toast for a nice BLT:
P1000212.JPG

(Chris, please use the second frying plan photo for my entry. Thanks.)

Mmmmmm, bacon! I think I'm going to have to make some.

Me too... I have not done any in like... forever... my kids a complaining about it....

This is great! I wasn't sure if this would be open long enough for someone to do bacon. I'm glad you were able to do it.

This is great! I wasn't sure if this would be open long enough for someone to do bacon. I'm glad you were able to do it.

Me too. :-D

_selfish competitive mod on_

But, a month is long enough. Let's close this bad boy on Monday 5/23/11 so everyone can start voting for Bacon! 15 entries or a month, which ever comes first is my new rule. :p

_mod off_

- Half serious. I believe that I would feel this way regardless of whether I entered or not.

Just popped in to do some tidying and vacuuming. This place can get pretty messy after a few weeks. I guess that grease collects a lot of dust. I'm sure the windows are still streaky. I can never tell unless the sun is shining just right. That ought to do it for now.

You missed the cob webs in the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that was coming. Nobody does anything and let's the place go to cr@p. Then when someone comes in and does a bit of cleaning then the critics start showing up. Well Ron, I didn't get to the bathrooms yet. Since you spoke up first, you can march your butt right in there and start scrubbing.

Looks like no-one has defrosted the freezer for years....

Wonder whats at the bottom... I'm scared to look!

Back