What oil to use seasoning new smoker?

cjtiger300

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I hear most use Pam. Is that pretty much the standard, or are there better options?

Vegetable oil and a rag, pretty cheap and easy. Or let the genetically modified organisms fly with some PAM.

Vegetable is good.

I've used Peanut (because that's what I had in the pantry) before.

I bought a tub of lard for first time seasoning with my offset stick burner.

My insulated cabinet smoker I used spray oil.

Spray oil is MUCH easier and faster to get into those corners and the ceiling.

I used spray canola oil from Trader Joes - it doesn't have some of the other "stuff" that PAM typically has in it.

Weber has a spray can of something or other.. picked it up at the Depot. Dunno what's inside the can tho.

I like grease that gets thicker at room temperature. So lard or even Crisco works great. However, at the end of the day your cooker will season itself so a simple spray of Pam will work just fine at kickstarting the walls getting sticky with flava.

The first time that I seasoned my pit, I used up several pieces of cans that the wife had in the cabinet that were either out of date or very close. I think there was regular Pam, some Pam Canola and even some spray olive oil. So now I have a smoker that has a universal seasoning and has really appreciated the time and effort that I took to make sure that it got a shot of many different flavors. The next time I season, I will probably stick to this very exotic recipe. It seems to work very well.

Too bad you're not in Dallas, I've got a gallon container of brisket fat from the drip pans waiting to go to the grease dump.

Quaker State 10W-30.

But Seriously......

Why answer a serious question with a silly answer?

Everyone knows with the new modern smokers you need to use 5W-20.

I used a bunch of chicken pieces and a couple of pork butts.

Back