Always Wanted a Big Green Egg......Or 3 (Score!)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I first must thank MattG very much for bringing this deal to my/our attention in the following thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114397). Thank you sir :-D :bow:. Now here is how this story/score rolls.........probably could have shortened it, but for this score I wanted to give detail............

So I read that thread yesterday about a Barbecue Galore closing and selling BGE's half off and thought damn if that is true then that would be a steal on the Eggs. So I called which was right after 5pm and they were closed. Thought it was weird for a retail store to be closed, but the message said hours were 9-5 so I figured I would just call in the morning to see what they have. At this time the thread said they had 1 Large left. Now I have never intended to get a BGE ever. I have a weber kettle along with a WSM and my big TnT Southern Smoker. So spending $800-$900 on something that, while freaking awesome, I still can do most of with the stuff I have. I did say "most" there so BGE owners don't shoot me.

Got up this morning and called the store just before 9 and a guy answered and I told him I heard about the sale and asked if the 50% off on Eggs was true. He said definitely. I told him I heard they might have 1 Large BGE left and he said "Yes sir we still do. It is the floor model with stand and side tables already on it." So I said "well that is great I will come out and get it." Then I said "For half off I wish you had XL's since I really would love the extra room." Then he says "Oh well we have 2 of those as well. One is a floor model with stand/side tables assembled and the other is just the XL BGE still in the box." :shocked: He didn't get the "still in the box" part out of his mouth before I was in my Explorer, engine started, and said "See you in 30mins!"

My heart was racing pretty fast and I called a few buddies on the way there that have trucks since I seriously doubted I could get all that into the back of my Explorer. No one was near, so damn. But worst case I buy em and make 2 trips. I get there and the store is in more of a business complex strip of building, and while their store was not huge had lots of grills, gas and electric. Lots of Webers, but those were only 20% off.

Easily found the guy on the phone and told him to ring up all 3. That didn't take long and they had a few other guys come out with the 2 floor models and the boxed XL. Then with not too much trouble they all fit with the backseat dropped. Had some of the grates and one of the stands in the passenger front seat. Before I hauled ass out the door I was smart enough to grab a few old blankets from the garage to put in between them. I drove home so damn slow as to not have the non boxed Eggs moving around. Had some people tailing me looking pissed, but they didn't know what I had.

Called one of my buddies on the way home to see about getting him to meet me at my house in the afternoon to help get them into the house since there is no way in hell you can do that alone. That was only a few hours and I would peek my head outside to make sure they were still in the back. Though if you wanted to break a window and steal them in a timely manner also assuming you have another guy to help without someone seeing and the room for them all, good freaking luck. Got them into the house and here they are.........

The floor models fully assembled. You can fire them up in your living room right??
DSC_0976.jpg

And the boxes for the other XL.
DSC_0977.jpg

Damn the XL is big and sexy.
DSC_0983.jpg

So I now am in a whole new world to which I know not much about. Thinking about a table and even though I'm not handy my comp buddy is so might get something started soon. Sorry if that was long winded. Probably the best score I will ever have and the most random excitement ever. Funny how 3yrs ago I didn't even own anything more than my gas grill. I love this hobby/obsession/addiction. So now my collection is really complete. I really doubt anything else will come into my BBQ world that I will want to buy :wink:. Wait, aren't there about 1 million accessories for this thing??? Crap.....

Last edited:
Wow... Congrats !!

better update your signature with your new toys !!!

Did you get platesetters for indirect heat or do you still need to explore what you may need ?

Wow... Congrats !!

better update your signature with your new toys !!!

Did you get platesetters for indirect heat or do you still need to explore what you may need ?

Yeah funny thing was I was so wired on getting them that I really didn't look around for much else :crazy:. I will probably be back tomorrow for accessories. This is a whole new world with a whole new batch of toys I'm sure.

Good score.

I hate to hear about a Barbecue Galore store closing.

Good score.

I hate to hear about a Barbecue Galore store closing.

I asked the guy about it and there is another store pretty close to there so I think they might have just been closing the one. It didn't sound like they were closing lots of stores all over the country.

Holy cow. If I came home with those my wife would crap a ring around herself, no matter how good of a deal it was. Good on ya!

Now you need to hook up with MartyLeach for some new custom handles for those...:wink:

AWESOME! Welcome to the egghead club! Other than the obvious Brethren forum, The egghead forum has lots of info for egg newbies.

Nice score!

You may want to invest in a grill mat or two. The ash and grease is going to kill that white carpeting!

:-D

That is an absolute Grand Slam my friend!:thumb:

Good Luck and happy smoking.

If you'd like to donate one to a needy smoker, I'm in need!:p

Nice score!

You may want to invest in a grill mat or two. The ash and grease is going to kill that white carpeting!

:-D

Dammit. I knew I would forget something. Grease is everywhere :p

Back