The Aaron Franklin Secret...

I've posted the Franklin rub several times. It came from John Lewis in an interview. The rub is ok but there's more to his success than what he sprinkles on the brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/interview-john-lewis-of-la-barbecue/

DV:*Is there anything about La Barbecue or your history in barbecue that we didn’t cover?
JL:*I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.
DV:*What do you use for seasoning at La Barbecue?
JL:*Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice.
DV:*Is that the rub you used at Franklin?
JL:*I can’t say.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DV:*Is there anything about La Barbecue or your history in barbecue that we didn’t cover?
JL:*I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.
DV:*What do you use for seasoning at La Barbecue?
JL:*Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice.
DV:*Is that the rub you used at Franklin?
JL:*I can’t say.

Mr Ruger35... I know you are gloating but you still do not know what Mr Franklin uses at his restaurant. All you know is that Mr Lewis said "I can't say" Only God Knows how the Civil Code justice system works in the State of Louisiana but in the the State of Texas, those words would not indicate what Mr Franklln uses. It just means.. "I can't say" no more... no less. The only reason I even stepped up to question your initial thought on this matter is that you said we are fools if we thought he uses more than salt and pepper. Calling people "fools" is not what I call friendly BBQ Brethren discussion. My background, which I am sure you will hate as well most people, is as a lawyer wherein if a person asserts a position, the burden is on them to prove that assertion. YouTube? "I can't say"? Sorry..... show me Mr Franklin's recipe.... not YouTube conjecture or what Mr Lewis uses.

Until Mr Franklin directly tells us what he seasons his briskets with at the restaurant, neither you nor I know what the puck we are talking about. So far, he has said S&P. I stand to be corrected by him.

Fine, your honor, do former employees who directly seasoned briskets count as an expert witness in your court of law? Because I wasn’t referencing the above video from PJ. But I have worked alongside and talked to former employees of Franklin’s. One of which has posted a YouTube video that describes much of what PJ posted. Also, to help you out even more, it isn’t Texicana/Max. That should narrow it down for you.

Fine, your honor, do former employees who directly seasoned briskets count as an expert witness in your court of law? Because I wasn’t referencing the above video from PJ. But I have worked alongside and talked to former employees of Franklin’s. One of which has posted a YouTube video that describes much of what PJ posted. Also, to help you out even more, it isn’t Texicana/Max. That should narrow it down for you.

Jumping on this thread late. What other people that worked or work at Franklin's have YouTube channels. I would love to follow them and expand my toolbox.

Good night, Nurse.:grin:

You are way above my head with "Texicana/Max .. whatever that is or means. Oh, new evidence .. you "worked" along side former employees of Franklin. Well, I truly surrender, sir. If you only you had established your credentials before, all of this conversation could have been avoided. You are a professional BBQ chef!
I am merely a backyard weekend guy. I assume we will soon see your YouTube channel. Anything else you have failed to tell us? Really, I am sorry. I just did not know you were part of the "insiders" group to Franklin's recipe. Please , sir, send it it to me. Surely it is not a secret anymore since all of those former employee have given you the true "scoop".

I am assuming who runger35 is referring to, is potentially Jonny (Jirby) White who formerly worked as a pitmaster at Franklins, La Barbacue and Valentina's before opening up Goldess with Dylan Taylor, Lane Milne, Jalen Heard and Nupohn Inthanousay.

Jonny has a youtube channel and recently released a video in which he discusses seasoning briskets; video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nXTYbufkM&t=304s

At the 8:48 mark Jonny states "Lawry's seasoning salt is the best secret ingredient in BBQ; he was the first one to put it on anything" as he laughs.

Giving the impression or at least insinuating that its what, the potential missing gold standard ingredient, that is being used elsewhere. And, while not definitive proof, that it is in fact what Aaron Franklin uses to season his briskets. It does tie in somewhat to what John Lewis has stated previously - however neither former pitmaster of Franklins comes out and categorically states that it is in fact what is being used to season briskets at Franklins.

Then in an article published in 2018 John Lewis doubles down on his previous mention from the Texas Monthly article in 2013 https://texasbbqposse.com/2018/05/a-day-in-the-life-how-john-lewis-makes-damn-good-bbq.html stating "Anyone telling you they are using just salt and pepper for seasoning, it’s b.s.,” he said.

Of course it's merely conjecture and gives one FOOD for thought.

And, I am assuming since ruger35 spent the day recently at Goldess BBQ - when he snapped a photo of their pitroom with the caption "This is what it looks like when work is fun." That Jonny White is indeed the person he is referring to.

Last edited:
He also gives the ratios. And he didn’t pull them from thin air. I am no bbq chef, but I do count myself lucky as Yuccaneers just posted, I was able to make a return trip and spend 3 days working at Goldee’s. I prepped, washed dishes, took out the trash, all for an awesome group of guys that are willing to show anything to someone who is willing to learn. In the described picture I had just finished sweeping the pit room and tending the fire while they did service.

Johnny is as detailed as it gets. If you want no nonsense bbq talk, it’s his channel. I love Chud and subscribe to his Patreon, but he mixes in entertainment and is fun to watch. Johnny wants to teach. The fool comment was lighthearted in meaning, maybe it went too far. But even if you know the seasoning and ratios, chances are I nor anyone here can replicate it. Johnny, the Goldee’s crew, and many other Texas pitmasters are meat whisperers.

Just looked into all of those guys. Thanks for the great info. What happened to Dylan Taylor? Looks like he left Goldee's and starting up his own thing.

Thanks for the great info. I am excited to try it out. Do you know the mustard/pickle juice ratio? 50/50?

I know Aaron Franklin's secret, and it has nothing to do with his rubs. The secret is............ it's not beef!!!!

images

Thanks for the great info. I am excited to try it out. Do you know the mustard/pickle juice ratio? 50/50?
Allegedly is 50/50. [emoji1787]
Sorry... couldn't resist. You know I love you brother springram!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So, I’m not terribly bothered by what Franklin does or doesn’t do. But as someone that does just use salt and pepper, and like to experiment- I’m going to try some Lowery’s next time.

What are folks using for that? 2 parts pepper, 1 part salt and one part Lowery’s? Or is it also with throwing in some granulated garlic?

Lowery's isn't going to make a difference. It's just salt with trace amounts of other spices that just get lost in the smoke.

No sure if Lawry's will or will not make a difference; however there are ingredients within the seasoning salt that are used in other cultures cooking that assist with retaining moisture, prevent overcooking, texture and stabilizers.

The first being cornstarch as it assist in retaining moisture in meats by forming a protective layer around meats that helps keep moisture in, aids in helping prevent overcooking and provides a velvety texture.

The second is turmeric in keeping oils more stable; in this case, when a brisket begins to break down as the tallow/fat starts rendering turmeric aids in the stability of the rendering processing essentially rendering the fat more evenly during the cooking process.

Combined with the acid from the mustard and pickle juice slathers which acts as a meat tenderizer.

Of course it goes without saying the volume and experience that Franklin has along with the hold times in warming ovens helps.

Back