THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*update, just found this paragraph online:

"Aaron Franklin, a renowned brisket expert has an interesting theory regarding left versus right side briskets. Typically cattle lye on their left side which means that when they stand up they use their right leg to push down to lift their massive bodies. In theory this causes the right side to develop more muscle fibers making the right side brisket a tougher and less desirable cut of meat."

"Aaron Franklin, a renowned brisket expert has an interesting theory regarding left versus right side briskets. Typically cattle lye on their left side which means that when they stand up they use their right leg to push down to lift their massive bodies. In theory this causes the right side to develop more muscle fibers making the right side brisket a tougher and less desirable cut of meat."

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-why-cows-prefer-sleeping-on-their-left-side/

A leg is definitely involved, but it isn't pushing. It's being pulled.

I think that's been circulating since before Franklin was born. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What if the Cow was Left Handed. :)

This thread has gone completely off the rails.

So let's discuss why we can't be more elegant than serving white bread with bbq.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This thread has gone completely off the rails.

So let's discuss why we can't be more elegant than serving white bread with bbq.

Elegance? BBQ is the epitome of fine dining. Want foams? My High Life foams just fine on the way in and out. Heirlooms? My fruit-of-the-looms got the whole orchard. Reductions? My butt's swimming in 3 qts of pork jus. Unnecessary French words? Sh*t, F*ck, P*ss, C*nt be flying out of my mouth all night tending to that brisket.

I am assuming who runger35 is referring to, is potentially Jonny (Jirby) White who formerly worked as a pitmaster at Franklins, La Barbacue and Valentina's before opening up Goldess with Dylan Taylor, Lane Milne, Jalen Heard and Nupohn Inthanousay.

Jonny has a youtube channel and recently released a video in which he discusses seasoning briskets; video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nXTYbufkM&t=304s

At the 8:48 mark Jonny states "Lawry's seasoning salt is the best secret ingredient in BBQ; he was the first one to put it on anything" as he laughs.

Giving the impression or at least insinuating that its what, the potential missing gold standard ingredient, that is being used elsewhere. And, while not definitive proof, that it is in fact what Aaron Franklin uses to season his briskets. It does tie in somewhat to what John Lewis has stated previously - however neither former pitmaster of Franklins comes out and categorically states that it is in fact what is being used to season briskets at Franklins.

Then in an article published in 2018 John Lewis doubles down on his previous mention from the Texas Monthly article in 2013 https://texasbbqposse.com/2018/05/a-day-in-the-life-how-john-lewis-makes-damn-good-bbq.html stating "Anyone telling you they are using just salt and pepper for seasoning, it’s b.s.,” he said.

Of course it's merely conjecture and gives one FOOD for thought.

And, I am assuming since ruger35 spent the day recently at Goldess BBQ - when he snapped a photo of their pitroom with the caption "This is what it looks like when work is fun." That Jonny White is indeed the person he is referring to.

Hmmm... Straight out of Jirby's mouth just now, on Instagram.

Screenshot-20210627-190934.png

Back