THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
I always do wings on one of my pits but got an air fryer for Christmas. I'm intrigued by the prospect of capturing the smoked flavor with a crispier skin/texture than I normally get from the pit.

Has anyone finished wings in an air fryer after smoking them? Just looking for any tips or tricks.

Only one way to find out :thumb: I’ve cooked plenty of precooked frozen wings in mine and they always come out great, I don’t see how smoking then finishing in the air fryer would be that different.

A Vortex in a Weber kettle with a chunk of wood on the grate over the coals is kind of a best of both worlds too, if you want to keep it to one cooking device.

Good call. I’m going to try this tomorrow night for the CF champ game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hands down the best wing I’ve ever had in my life is from peg leg porkers in Nashville. They smoke, deep fry, toss in dry rub then hot sauce. I don’t see why you can’t use the air fryer like you would a deep fryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep meaning to try it. I hate frying, just due to all the oil needed, the mess, the smell, the cleanup, etc. I usually smoke a bunch of wings to take when the family does a fish fry, to help change things up a bit.

Looking forward to hearing how this works out, I just might get out the ninja pressure cooker/air fryer/car detailer all in one thingimabob for wings.

Like a lot of guys here, I've intended to do that but haven't. May speak to my laziness. Ready to see your results...

I have kinda done the opposite in the past. A local place used to have buffalo wings stupid cheap on Thursdays so we loaded up when we went. Took home the leftovers. The next day I would through them on the smoker to heat them back up. Outstanding

Since getting my air fryer last Christmas, this is my favorite way to do wings...smoke 'em on the Traeger, then around 20 minutes in the air fryer.

I've got a Blackstone with a fryer/side burner. It's manageable to empty/filter/store a gallon of oil, but do people use a fryer more than a few times a year to justify buying large volumes of oil?

I've done this with great success multiple times. I'll toss the warm wings off the smoker in a little bit of vegetable oil before throwing in the air fryer and they turn out fantastic.

I've got a Blackstone with a fryer/side burner. It's manageable to empty/filter/store a gallon of oil, but do people use a fryer more than a few times a year to justify buying large volumes of oil?
Yes.

Last edited:
Did 50 wings on the M1 with oak and hickory for about an hour. Pulled off and into the air fryer at 450 for 6-8 minutes or so. Pulled out and into a couple of bowls to be sauced.

Best wings I’ve made on the M1 for sure (can’t get them crispy on that like I can on the performer with vortex). Very similar result to performer/vortex running wide open at 500 degrees...air fryer worked a treat to finish them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back