Baking powder and crunchy smoked wings...

crboggs

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Tried my first experiment with baking powder on smoked wings today...with mixed results.

2 dozen wings, patted down and rubbed with a small amount of baking powder.

The first dozen wings got a dry rub added before they went on the smoker at 250 for 45 min before flipping them and bumping the Yoder to 350 for 20 min. Came out absolutely perfect...great flavor and crunch...cooked through and tender. Just as I had hoped.

The second dozen wings went on the smoker naked along with those that were dry rubbed. My intent was to pull them off and add a wet sauce to them before eating. But after adding the sauce the skin got really tough and chewy. Meat was fine...just a VERY different texture on the skin.

I suspect that I rehydrated the skin on the second dozen by adding that sauce and am debating just sticking with the dry rubs in the future when I am using the baking powder for extra crunch without frying.

Anyone else have experience smoking wings and using the baking powder approach for extra crunch?

Seems like the baking powder would just fizz out without a binder to hold the bubbles. Flour, corn starch, maybe egg

I like my sauce on the side these days, not stuck on just 1 flavor as there are so many, I have some small plastic bowls made for dipping that we use, its easy to make stuff soggy when you add sauce so the easy way I know to stop it is to not lol

I forgot to mention I do poke holes in the skin on my wings (and drums and thighs) even for plain grilling, marinating etc. I use a sausage pricker, but the tip of a little fillet knife works too. For the crispy wings the holes let some fats out to the surface.

DhGlity.jpg

I forgot to mention I do poke holes in the skin on my wings (and drums and thighs) even for plain grilling, marinating etc. I use a sausage pricker, but the tip of a little fillet knife works too. For the crispy wings the holes let some fats out to the surface.

DhGlity.jpg

Great idea! I have one of those!!!

This thread is motivating!

I did a rotisserie chicken on Friday and a smoked chuckie yesterday for BBQ beef. Got enough left overs for a few days. Now I got to go to the store to get some wings to try this out. Well, I am going to eat well for a few days more!

I love wings!

Thanks guys...lots of good feedback here.

All I know is that the wings that had a mix of baking powder and dry rub came out pretty much perfect...lots of crunch and flavor.

The next time I try wings, I'm going to try one with nothing but baking powder and one with baking powder and some brushed on sauce near the end.

I'm really curious to see if the adding of the wet sauce after the cook is what toughened the skin up.

If so...I'll just cook any dry wings differently from wet wings in the future.

Its certainly a learning process...

Back