Campsite Grill Advice?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am taking a job in Nashville, Tn and will be staying in a 5th Wheel Camper for 3-6 months and my Grills and Fryer will be staying in St Louis. :(

I have been living the Keto lifestyle for over a year so eat a lot of steaks and cook them on my Kamado Joe II with cast plates and love it.

So considering a second Kamado Joe II since I have cast grates and plates I can transport back and forth as I go home etc. This also gives me the flexibility to smoke meats and grill chicken.
I am also considering a Camp Chef flat top grill, would be cheaper and I believe a good option for cooking steaks etc., just not sure how it would work for Chicken and Pork Chops. If I went with this option could buy a cheaper grill option as well.
I will cook almost all my meals outside so durability is important.
I am hoping someone here has used the camp chef and can chime in.

In your situation, you should check out the Camp Chef Tailgater. Gives you 2 propane burners, a small griddle, and gas grill for $200. Then check out brickseek.com. A lot of wal-marts have the Char-Griller Premium kettle, and the vision kamados on sale, at very steep discounts.

3rd for the Weber 22.5
Add an iron skillet or griddle, and you can cook pretty much anything on one.
I have one that I made a set of smaller diameter legs for to be easily removed for transport. Everything comes apart and fits back in the original box.
It's "Grate" for vacations.

Are you guys suggesting the WSM 22.5 or the Weber Original Kettle?

I have the Camp Chef flat top (model 600) and I really like it. I don't grill steaks or chops on it - that's charcoal & wood territory for me - however you absoluately can. Its awesome for breakfast, fajitas, smash burgers, etc. It's been 100% bullet proof in the 18 mos that I've owned it. So I think you'd really use and enjoy it, but I'd still have some sort of gill for the steaks and chops. What about this combo: a flat top and a kettle with a vortex (great for yardbird). Can't you do just about everything with that?

Great ideas, this will not be moved for months so does not have to be portable. I do like the idea of having something different so when all my grills and smokers unite later in the year I will not have duplicates.
I will be going home a couple times a month so if I need to do a long smoke can do it when I am home.

Weber kettle in my case.
I've even deep fried on it using a Dutch oven a couple times. Was nervous as all get out about a grease fire, but no issues. Kept the lid to the DO and a fire extinguisher real close.

I would go with the griddle if you don’t have one already. You will like it after the 3-6 months for home use. Quickly cook up a meal after working might be a benefit also.

If you like the charcoal starting and that relaxes you after work then go that route with a Weber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are cooking for yourself only, even the small Smokey Joe would work, as well as the Charcoal Go-Anywhere. Pretty cool thing you've got going for you!
Certainly, the 22" or the Jumbo Joe 18" would work, but take up more space.

If you are cooking for yourself only, even the small Smokey Joe would work, as well as the Charcoal Go-Anywhere. Pretty cool thing you've got going for you!
Certainly, the 22" or the Jumbo Joe 18" would work, but take up more space.

I have the small Smokey joe (think that’s the right model) and it has a hard time maintaining temps- have to leave the lid cracked. I’d avoid it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For a camp site grill, I use a M grills C4. It's small but works great for grilling.

Back