Your wood pile

This is the start of my wood pile since getting an M1. Just threw together the cinder blocks yesterday and picked up this cherry today. Had it custom cut to 10 inch lengths. It will need to season. Have a line on seasoned oak I can have for free, just have to find the time to chop it down and split it up. Will put the seasoned oak on top to fill out rack. The Mrs. not too happy about having a large pile of wood covered with a tarp in back yard but she sure does like the food. Therefore, she's grinning and bearing it.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpg
    IMG_4713.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 245
ZXvzrPPh.jpg

This is the start of my wood pile since getting an M1. Just threw together the cinder blocks yesterday and picked up this cherry today. Had it custom cut to 10 inch lengths. It will need to season. Have a line on seasoned oak I can have for free, just have to find the time to chop it down and split it up. Will put the seasoned oak on top to fill out rack. The Mrs. not too happy about having a large pile of wood covered with a tarp in back yard but she sure does like the food. Therefore, she's grinning and bearing it.

I would not cover the wood until it is seasoned. It needs the sun, rain and air. If you get the oak that is already seasoned..different story.

I would not cover the wood until it is seasoned. It needs the sun, rain and air. If you get the oak that is already seasoned..different story.

yup exactly buddy and great point , rained on , dry's out , rain on dry's out , it is the seasoning process .

Man, where did you get this RO lump? All we have here now is briqs. I would love to find a source for lump.

The local Home Depot runs deals on it during the normal grilling holidays.

It's my basic lump.....use it on my 350 degree or hotter cooks.

I'll spring for better stuff with larger pieces for slow'n'low cooks.

Damn you all have great looking piles. I was starting to feel happy that finally after 3 years of searching I finally found wood supplier and started my own pile. But I doubt it will ever grow as majestic as what you guys have.

They are a mangove charcoal maker 2 hours drive from Bangkok. I'm sure I'm their VIP customer since they sell by weight and fresh wood are 3 or 4 times heavier.
rHcgjuUl.jpg

lPyqFOXl.jpg

zxzPzDql.jpg

I'll get there one day.
8lFuQJQh.jpg

My first time splitting wood EVER. It was fun but must've done something wrong because I sprained the back of my left shoulder for 2 days.
HSTtJy8m.jpg

XB29mSUm.jpg

Damn you all have great looking piles. I was starting to feel happy that finally after 3 years of searching I finally found wood supplier and started my own pile. But I doubt it will ever grow as majestic as what you guys have.

They are a mangove charcoal maker 2 hours drive from Bangkok. I'm sure I'm their VIP customer since they sell by weight and fresh wood are 3 or 4 times heavier.

rHcgjuUl.jpg

lPyqFOXl.jpg

zxzPzDql.jpg

I'll get there one day.

8lFuQJQh.jpg

My first time splitting wood EVER. It was fun but must've done something wrong because I sprained the back of my left shoulder for 2 days.

HSTtJy8m.jpg

XB29mSUm.jpg

You should look for something like this... a cast iron wood splitter. It's cheating but your shoulders will thank you.

6ebdee36023709253d9209b8504068b4.jpg

You should look for something like this... a cast iron wood splitter. It's cheating but your shoulders will thank you.

6ebdee36023709253d9209b8504068b4.jpg

I have one of those. It works pretty well on the right size wood. The kindling cracker has two sizes.

I have no idea how it works on mangrove.

I thought those logs in the outside pics were yours lol. Nice work! Is that where you will be putting your wood pile?

I wish I own all that haha. Planning to have them there until rainy season ends in 2 months then I'll move them out in the open for sun light.

You will forget the pain in that shoulder if you keep splitting wood on that nice tile floor and it cracks.

I've heard folks talk about two sizes of kindling cracker but never seen but one size (about 6"). Does anyone have any info on the other size?

You will forget the pain in that shoulder if you keep splitting wood on that nice tile floor and it cracks.

I've heard folks talk about two sizes of kindling cracker but never seen but one size (about 6"). Does anyone have any info on the other size?

I have the larger one. Will accommodate a 9 inch diameter log. You'd want to keep the length 16 inches or less due to it's height. Unlike the smaller one, the base has "cutouts" on each side of the wedge which, I think, helps the log pass through.

I is different kinds , I use oak to start my pit up and go back to oak if I wrap , then I smoke with pecan , hickory and cherry and the wood on the slab of concrete is wood that is seasoning for next year . it seems like a lot of wood but I have wood that is ready to use and does not smolder .

Jeff does have some damn fine wood. :thumb:

Back