Your opinion on this used Backwoods G2 Chubby?

Hey there,

I was curious as to how its going with your used BWS? I just purchased a used Party G2 off facebook marketplace from a retired competition team. Lite Blue BBQ out of Woodburn, OR. It had definitely seen some use, but I'm really excited to break it in this weekend. Would love to know what you've learned so far, was it a good purchase for you? Did you decide to paint? How's the Q?!

Jesse

Hi - it was a completely fail. The seller represented that only the ash tray was rusted; er no. It was full of ash, and as I vaccummed out the inside (after purchasing it) I found pretty much the entire fire box rusted out. So, there was no inner and outer walls, meaning there would be no way for the smoke to roll up the inside walls then back down through the rear outlet. Also, the rack supports were rusted out.

SOOO, lesson learned. If you buy used, you best check that puppy out with a flashlight, tools, etc.

I was so turned off from the potential to inherit someone else's problem that I bought a new Humphrey Pint.

Contact the seller and tell him the local Sheriff suggested he return half the purchase price since you only ended up with half of a cooker..
Ed

Contact the seller and tell him the local Sheriff suggested he return half the purchase price since you only ended up with half of a cooker..
Ed

Was very tempted to drive back with the disassembled smoker and dump it in their driveway. But I unhappily forced myself to pretend to be mature and wrote it off to a lesson learned that I shared with my boys and... maybe someone here :).

Hi - it was a completely fail. The seller represented that only the ash tray was rusted; er no. It was full of ash, and as I vaccummed out the inside (after purchasing it) I found pretty much the entire fire box rusted out. So, there was no inner and outer walls, meaning there would be no way for the smoke to roll up the inside walls then back down through the rear outlet. Also, the rack supports were rusted out.

SOOO, lesson learned. If you buy used, you best check that puppy out with a flashlight, tools, etc.

I was so turned off from the potential to inherit someone else's problem that I bought a new Humphrey Pint.

Damn, really sorry to hear this. At least the lesson was relatively cheap, so hopefully that was some kind of silver lining. How's the Humphrey Pint working out for you?

Damn, really sorry to hear this. At least the lesson was relatively cheap, so hopefully that was some kind of silver lining. How's the Humphrey Pint working out for you?

The Pint appears to be an amazing smoker. I'm learning to use it without a temp regulator, and it is a much different beast than my WSM!

The Pint appears to be an amazing smoker. I'm learning to use it without a temp regulator, and it is a much different beast than my WSM!

I never used a Humphreys cooker, but I did end up with a Spicewine Ironworks Large model insulated cabinet smoker for a couple of years. It took me quite a few cooks to get it running properly, but I always used a fan system. Once I got the hang of how to stack all the charcoal + wood chunks I was able to churn out thin, blue smoke for a good 15 hour cook with little to no issues. Once I got to that point the food I was cooking it was super close to the same aroma / smoke I was getting on my offset smoker.

Good luck with your Pint and I'm sure you'll get it dialed in pretty soon.

Was very tempted to drive back with the disassembled smoker and dump it in their driveway. But I unhappily forced myself to pretend to be mature and wrote it off to a lesson learned that I shared with my boys and... maybe someone here :).

Maybe you can repurpose as a holder/warmer? :noidea:

I never used a Humphreys cooker, but I did end up with a Spicewine Ironworks Large model insulated cabinet smoker for a couple of years. It took me quite a few cooks to get it running properly, but I always used a fan system. Once I got the hang of how to stack all the charcoal + wood chunks I was able to churn out thin, blue smoke for a good 15 hour cook with little to no issues. Once I got to that point the food I was cooking it was super close to the same aroma / smoke I was getting on my offset smoker.

Good luck with your Pint and I'm sure you'll get it dialed in pretty soon.

Thank you! I'll write up my experience in a long overdue seperate post.

Back