Backwoods Chubby (Original) Questions

excaluber

I’ve been gearing up to buy a Insulated Cabinet Smoker for a little while and I noticed someone in my area is selling an original Backwoods Chubby. The price is $600 which seems pretty reasonable. I was hoping to hear from some people that may have owned them. My general questions are: The articles I can find claim it can hold a lot of food, but how much can it really hold? I’m strictly backyard-ing it, and have never had the need to cook more then two Pork Shoulders at once. Perhaps for a party I’d do a brisket and pork shoulder. Is it big enough to handle those two at once?

Also, is there any major design flaws that were fixed in the G2? Or was it really just the added depth?

At that price if it has my interest peaked... but if it’s got some flaws and is going to be to small I may as well just keep saving and wait to buy something bigger.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts/advice!

I've enjoyed my original (or G1) chubby since 2012. I no longer use it for competition but it's my go-to for back yard. There's no design flaw, the G2 are overbuilt in my opinion, however the G2 does have more capacity.

The max quantities you inquire about are possible but expect to refill the smaller firebox to overcome the thermal mass of big meats in a small cabinet - fair enough!

If I were looking, I'd snatch it up - especially if it's stainless door or commercial fire box. Look it over, make sure the bottom aint rusted out under the ash pan, etc.

It's a very efficient smoker for backyard use.

I think the racks are 16x17 and 3" between. Probably get 2 12lb-14lb briskets in there. A new chubby 3400 is only $800.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a cheap insulated cabinet the Red Box Smoker is $260 but the racks are only 12x13. 2 butts will fit but only really small briskets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wasn’t particularly looking for a super cheap cabinet. My original intent was to buy a G2 Chubby, Humphrey Battlebox, or the Guru Shotgun. This was just an opportunity that’s popped up, and I figure if it’s going to suit my needs, why not save the $1000.

I have a Backwoods Extended Party Stainless steal door, commercial fire grate, 2 extra sliders, and a cover Like Brand new Won it in a contest a few years ago Never used Will sell for $1700 PM if interested

Back