Your best smoked salmon recipe?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Time/temp? Brine solution used? Etc. Have a bunch of salmon from a recent trip and want to try a new recipe or two.

Well, I have tried a lot of methods but have settled on the below for ease & taste.

1. Pat dry
2. Rub - both sides if skinless - I like SPG with some brown sugar, paprika, & cayenne
3. Place in the refrigerator uncovered 2-4 hours
4. Clean grates - lightly coat with olive oil on paper towel to help prevent sticking
5. Smoke at 200F to 145F IT
6. Cool on counter - 1 hour
7. Fridge uncovered overnight
8. Cut in strips & zip lock bag in fridge up to 1 week - Double bag or freezer bag to keep in smell

This is also very good straight off the grill.

^^^ YES! Mr. T is a master at smoking salmon. I've followed his recipe a few times as well.

I've smoked salmon all my life and have only used one recipe. It came from the Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker cookbook:

"Little Chief" Smoked Salmon Deluxe (Chinook, Coho, etc.)

1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup NON-IODIZED salt
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine

Mix thoroughly. Brine salmon chunks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated. Rinse thoroughly after brining. Pat dry with a paper towel and allow to air dry for at least one hour prior to smoking.

Fill flavor pan with Hickory, Alder, or mix 2/3 Apple with 1/3 Cherry. Use 2
to 3 panfuls. Leave in the smoker until drying is completed, This may take
12 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat. Place largest and thickest
chunks on the bottom rack.

(Also use for Steelhead and other large trout.)

I use a dry cure and hot smoke method for my salmon, steelhead, trout and tuna.

T49Domd.jpg

LgVEIHo.jpg

HERE are all the details and full pictorial.

This is the only way I'll do them anymore... It's so quick & easy, and turns out the lightest, fluffiest smoked salmon with a really mild fresh flavor, which I love.

Smoked-Salmon.png

1. Start with fresh salmon. I get mine from Sam's Club/Costco. It's farm-raised, but never frozen. I think the skin OFF fillets work best for this method.
2. Pre-heat smoker to 325ºF with pecan wood for smoke.
3. Brine with Oakridge BBQ Game Changer at half strength for 25 minutes, then gently rinse and pat dry.
4. In a shallow pan, create a base of sliced lemons a little larger than the fillet. Lemon slices should be around 1/4" thick, and all the same thickness. Use a shallow stainless steel hotel pan if you can, or other non-reactive heat-safe material. If all you have is an aluminum pan, line with parchment paper first to keep the lemons from making contact with the aluminum.
5. Place the brined salmon fillet on top of the lemon slices, then squeeze the juice of one lemon over the top of the salmon fillet.
6. Lay a medium layer of Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS or Santa Maria rub into the lemon juice on top of the salmon fillet.
7. Put the fillet (pan and all) inside the smoker. The best wood for this IMHO is pecan, but a pecan/cherry combo is also very nice. Pull when internal temp at thickest part hits 130º-135ºF and rest for 10 minutes uncovered. Start checking temp at 30 minutes, expect it to be done then or shortly thereafter.

:thumb: :thumb:
Thanks!

I use thirdeye's method and really like it His blog is very educational His Pastrami is really good too
Gore has a nice method too for Hot smoked Salmon

Everybody has their secret twist on a recipe, but for me, all you need is brown sugar and salt to make a brine.
I usually do about 2 to 1 water:salt ratio, but it really depends how long you brine for and how salty you like your fish
If I want to add stuff on later, I'll glaze with maple syrup, dust with cracked black pepper, chili flakes, and what have you
I use fruit wood to smoke, usually Cherry, sometimes Apple. And Alder is always good too

Let me plug something else if you've got high quality salmon. This recipe is always a hit with folks, even those that don't like sushi or smoked fish

Back