Smoked salmon

SYBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I usually marinate and cook salmon on the grill or blackstone but I want to try and smoke some on my vision/ egg style smoker. Any tips or recipes would be great!

Never marinated salmon except making gravlox, if you count that. Season, then hot and fast. Couple minutes flesh side down for grill marks then one flip to the skin side to finish.

Salmon is best medium rare IMO

I smoked some a few weeks ago. Didn't take long at all at 275, maybe an hour at most. Took it off when internal temp hit 145. Topped it with a dill/horseradish sauce, delicious!

Here's great one I've used multiple times...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119317

I'm planning on firing up the Oval this weekend to do up another batch.

I've used this method myself a couple hundred times. I will say that I generally use about 4:1, sugar:salt and I can't tell you when the last time I used the cling wrap -- that was just an unnecessary step. Whoever wrote that in the post was probably a nutcase. I also will now cold-smoke about half of it.

Gore when you cold smoke do you do anything different with the cure. and how long do you smoke it for
Thirdeye's method is really good too

I smoke salmon all the time. Don't listen to those who say "hot and fast". Salmon has plenty of good fats in it and cooking it too hot causes those fats to melt away. I marinate mine in Japanese bbq sauce for 8 or 12 hours. You can do overnight if time permits. I then smoke it at or around 200F. I also found that cooking it low and slow allows for perfect results. I've cooked salmon on my Komodo Kamado "hot and fast" and almost always overshoot the desired temp. I can hit 145F every time when cooking low and slow. Hitting the target temp is super simple. Good luck!

Oh, and I coat it with a honey glaze throughout the cook.

Gore when you cold smoke do you do anything different with the cure. and how long do you smoke it for
Thirdeye's method is really good too

I do it exactly the same way. Lately, when I slice it up, I do the thicker pieces cold smoked, and the thinner (belly and tail) warm smoked. I have a MAK, so can do them both at the same time as it has a cold-smoke chamber -- I actually have the cabinet addition, but it isn't necessary. I also usually don't add anything to the cold-smoked, just plain. Typically, I do 2-3 hours.

Yum!!

Here's great one I've used multiple times...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119317

I'm planning on firing up the Oval this weekend to do up another batch.

That looks awesome!! I may give that a try next time I grab a big fillet from Costco.

I often do my version of Gravlax that uses the cure inspired from Emeril that has vodka in it:

https://www.emerils.com/123621/vodka-and-citrus-cured-salmon

I wonder how that would be smoked too??

I might have to ease off the salt tho, so as to cure it a bit less....

Hmm..wonder how a bourbon and brown sugar cure would do for a light smoke on salmon?

Alright...I'd better go fix lunch....I'm drooling over here.

cayenne

That looks awesome!! I may give that a try next time I grab a big fillet from Costco.

I often do my version of Gravlax that uses the cure inspired from Emeril that has vodka in it:

https://www.emerils.com/123621/vodka-and-citrus-cured-salmon

I wonder how that would be smoked too??

I might have to ease off the salt tho, so as to cure it a bit less....

Hmm..wonder how a bourbon and brown sugar cure would do for a light smoke on salmon?

Alright...I'd better go fix lunch....I'm drooling over here.

cayenne

I make gravlax every winter - Martha Stewart's recipe. I have lightly cold smoked some in the past and it was delicious.

I make gravlax every winter - Martha Stewart's recipe. I have lightly cold smoked some in the past and it was delicious.
Been using a recipe for gravlax/gravlox from the book Nourishing Traditions for years. Takes a few days, but some of the best salmon.

Never had a setup suitable for cold smoking and only enjoy store bought.

Back