THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWMN

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
SLZ
Welp, a while ago I posted a question looking for help with my new Yoder Loaded Wichita. There were a lot of people that pitched in and were helpful.

I decided that I needed to start a fire and figure the beast out for myself.

Last week I tossed a bunch (5) of Walmart's finest chicken birds into some brine and let them percolate for a few days. After some time in the brine, I rinsed them off, snipped the backbones out and put a heavy layer of Rustlin' Rob's Pig Squeal on them.

It just so happened that it was a balmy 16 degrees on Saturday (its winter in Minnesota. Anything over 10 is warm.) so it was going to be a good day to lay some smoke on these beautiful birds. I ain't gonna lie, I was a little nervous about how this was going to work.

I started the fire with a full chimney of Rockwood charcoal (The only brand worth using in my opinion.) and dumped it on top of the charred remains of what didn't burn up the last time I cooked.

To make sure everything burned well, I took all my splits and split them again so they were about the size of a beer can.

Once the smoker got up to 225 I put the cluckers on and let her rip.

With the firebox vent open all the way and the door latched shut, I had no trouble maintaining 225 - 275 for the entire cook. There was a 75 - 100-degree difference between the left and right side but I attribute that to the fact that it was less than 20 degrees the entire day.

I couldn't tell if I had white smoke or not as any warm air was white and "puffy" so I had to hope for the best.

Verdict - it worked! Durn good, I must admit. The chicken came out juicy, pleasantly smokey, and seemed to disappear right quick. My 19-month-old taste tester mowed through a lot of it so it really must have been good.

Proof it really happened:

20180203_133036.jpg
(I can't get this to show up right. The smoker was wheels-down the entire cook)

20180203_124129.jpg

So, thanks for the help folks! We're making headway now. :-D

Looks good, keep posting updates, since I can get this smoker at local dealer and no delivery charge it's high on my list if I ever go stick burner route

Looks good, keep posting updates, since I can get this smoker at local dealer and no delivery charge it's high on my list if I ever go stick burner route
Thanks, I will do that.

I've been obsessed with getting a Yoder smoker for years and finally pulled the pin in October last year.

You will see a lot of hate for the Wichita online but I'm determined to figure out how this thing likes to cook.

I will keep posting my learnings in hope that they will help someone else who is looking a Yoder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good to see another crazy Minnesotan smoking in the cold. When I used my horizontal offset in the cold, I'd lay a folded welding blanket from Harbor Freight on the top to help insulate it a little and even out the temps. I just had a COS, so I had to do anything I could. It gets a little annoying if you have to open the cook door frequently, but for longer cooks, it worked just fine.

Thanks, I will do that.

I've been obsessed with getting a Yoder smoker for years and finally pulled the pin in October last year.

You will see a lot of hate for the Wichita online but I'm determined to figure out how this thing likes to cook.

I will keep posting my learnings in hope that they will help someone else who is looking a Yoder.

I've also seen a lot of love for the Yoder too

Good to see another crazy Minnesotan smoking in the cold. When I used my horizontal offset in the cold, I'd lay a folded welding blanket from Harbor Freight on the top to help insulate it a little and even out the temps. I just had a COS, so I had to do anything I could. It gets a little annoying if you have to open the cook door frequently, but for longer cooks, it worked just fine.
They don't call us the Bold North fer nuthin!

That is a great idea! Thanks for that. Any extra insulation help when it's super cold.

Back