Yoder Wichita Update

SWMN

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
SLZ
Welp, a while ago I posted a question looking for help with my new Yoder Loaded Wichita. There were a lot of people that pitched in and were helpful.

I decided that I needed to start a fire and figure the beast out for myself.

Last week I tossed a bunch (5) of Walmart's finest chicken birds into some brine and let them percolate for a few days. After some time in the brine, I rinsed them off, snipped the backbones out and put a heavy layer of Rustlin' Rob's Pig Squeal on them.

It just so happened that it was a balmy 16 degrees on Saturday (its winter in Minnesota. Anything over 10 is warm.) so it was going to be a good day to lay some smoke on these beautiful birds. I ain't gonna lie, I was a little nervous about how this was going to work.

I started the fire with a full chimney of Rockwood charcoal (The only brand worth using in my opinion.) and dumped it on top of the charred remains of what didn't burn up the last time I cooked.

To make sure everything burned well, I took all my splits and split them again so they were about the size of a beer can.

Once the smoker got up to 225 I put the cluckers on and let her rip.

With the firebox vent open all the way and the door latched shut, I had no trouble maintaining 225 - 275 for the entire cook. There was a 75 - 100-degree difference between the left and right side but I attribute that to the fact that it was less than 20 degrees the entire day.

I couldn't tell if I had white smoke or not as any warm air was white and "puffy" so I had to hope for the best.

Verdict - it worked! Durn good, I must admit. The chicken came out juicy, pleasantly smokey, and seemed to disappear right quick. My 19-month-old taste tester mowed through a lot of it so it really must have been good.

Proof it really happened:

20180203_133036.jpg
(I can't get this to show up right. The smoker was wheels-down the entire cook)

20180203_124129.jpg

So, thanks for the help folks! We're making headway now. :-D

Looks good, keep posting updates, since I can get this smoker at local dealer and no delivery charge it's high on my list if I ever go stick burner route

Looks good, keep posting updates, since I can get this smoker at local dealer and no delivery charge it's high on my list if I ever go stick burner route
Thanks, I will do that.

I've been obsessed with getting a Yoder smoker for years and finally pulled the pin in October last year.

You will see a lot of hate for the Wichita online but I'm determined to figure out how this thing likes to cook.

I will keep posting my learnings in hope that they will help someone else who is looking a Yoder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good to see another crazy Minnesotan smoking in the cold. When I used my horizontal offset in the cold, I'd lay a folded welding blanket from Harbor Freight on the top to help insulate it a little and even out the temps. I just had a COS, so I had to do anything I could. It gets a little annoying if you have to open the cook door frequently, but for longer cooks, it worked just fine.

Thanks, I will do that.

I've been obsessed with getting a Yoder smoker for years and finally pulled the pin in October last year.

You will see a lot of hate for the Wichita online but I'm determined to figure out how this thing likes to cook.

I will keep posting my learnings in hope that they will help someone else who is looking a Yoder.

I've also seen a lot of love for the Yoder too

Good to see another crazy Minnesotan smoking in the cold. When I used my horizontal offset in the cold, I'd lay a folded welding blanket from Harbor Freight on the top to help insulate it a little and even out the temps. I just had a COS, so I had to do anything I could. It gets a little annoying if you have to open the cook door frequently, but for longer cooks, it worked just fine.
They don't call us the Bold North fer nuthin!

That is a great idea! Thanks for that. Any extra insulation help when it's super cold.

Back