THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHEW! Back at work and completely fried.

Fat men and searing heat do not get along too well!!

Had a great time, though. It's only sweat, right?

Great to see the Brethren and the other teams. Lot's of fun to be had.

Did much better than I thought I would! 25th of 57 teams. I think it's our best overall.

Brisket was terrible - 17th!!!

Ribs were way overdone. Barely got 8 ribs from 3 racks - 17th!!!

Crazy.

...we set up a baby pool to put our feet in...
I walked by your site with my son (2 1/2, blonde curly hair) and he wanted to sit in your pool. I think if you'd put some ice in that thing you could've charged people for a 5 minute soak. Probably would've had a line as long as any vendor. Anyway, if I had realized you were Brethren, I'dda stopped and said howdy.

Sorry you couldn't make it today Clint. Anyway, here's the top 10's or so out of 57 teams.

Chicken:
1. Big Daddy's BBQ
2. Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team
3. Casual Smokers
4. Grillbillies
5. Swamp Pit BBQ
6. TNT Dynomite BBQ
7. Midnight Smoker
8. Purple Turtle
9. Stumpy Coals
10. Jack's Downhome
*** 11th: Jackash (Kyle the youngest Polock)

Ribs:
1. TNT Dynomite
2. Lunchmeat
3. Up in Smoke
4. Purple Turtle
5. Midnight Smoker
6. ***Jackash
7. Team Boy BQ
8. It's Just BBQ
9. Pequa Pullers
10. Pig Pen BBQ

Pork:
1. Philly Pigs BBQ
2. Jumping Dog BBQ
3. Widespread BBQ
4. Fat Angel BBQ
5. Midnight Smoker
6. Lunchmeat
7. BBQ Brethren (Vinny, Jerry(dad), Muzzlebreak, Yak/Phil...)
8. Susquehanna Blue Smoke
9. Smokein'S'Wine
10. Southern Pride Roasters

Brisket:
1. Casual Smokers
2. Beef Rubbers
3. BBQ Guru
4. Pig Pen BBQ
5. Fat Angel BBQ
6. Fire Ants BBQ
7. Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team
8. 3Eyz BBQ
9. White Dog BBQ
10. R2-BQ
11. Lunchmeat
12. Lo-n-Slo

Overall:
1. Lunchmeat
2. Midnight Smoker
3. Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team
4. Casual Smokers
5. Grillbillies
6. R2-BQ
7. BBQ Brethren
8. Purple Turtle
9. TNT Dynomite BBQ
10. Widespread BBQ

*** Looks like Kyle had a great weekend, especially for his first time out of the Backyard. Congrats bud.

thanks it was a great weekend, except for the hot weather

Congratulations to Lunchmeat on there GC and everyone else that walked!!! Sounds like the conditions where brutal!!!

Butch Lupinetti , world class ribber and winner of the Food TV Throw Down Rib Challenge decided to stop by and pay the Polocks a visit. BTW, Butch whooped Bobby Flays ass.

butch.jpg

I saw that episode with Butch and Flay. Would have liked to have met Butch and I was right across the alley from The Two at Pollocks. My saw told me of the sighting. Great Pic

Yeah there were a few times I was just so exhausted from the heat that I just didn't want to talk. I was kinda dissapointed that I didn't get to meet some of the other brethren, I was just to hot and lazy to walk over to Phil and the rest of his gang. Next time I hope.

I didnt realize until after turn ins that i was walking through your site the entire weekend:icon_blush:. You should of thrown something at me.Sorry but i am sure we will meet again somewhere down the road

I saw Butch there also. By the way Guy nice meeting you and your brother. Next time I will bring a few beers over so we can enjoy them.

Vinny,

What contest issues did you have? I'm assuming you're referring to the cramped conditions in the main competitor area and the porta-potty issues. I was disappointed in how they crammed teams in like that. Much better setup last year.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more -- once I got the truck loaded, I just had to sit down. The heat was killer.

Hi Eric,

I'm not looking to bash them at all. Here's what could have been better.

- They made us load in width wise. We could not pull out until all the other teams in the same row pulled out first.

- ground water floods got worse as the days passed. We asked for crushed rock but they said they could not get more. We had to resort to personally carrying over empty pallets to keep on our site to walk on after several requests for help did not get anywhere.

- not having water refilled in the handwash station was pretty lame. Porta potty issue was bad too.

- having awards called for a 4 PM and not starting for more than a half hour later was pretty bad too given all the heat. Could have spend time packing and told the teams awards would be delayed a bit.

Again, not looking to bash and turn this into the infamous Grill Kings bashing of a few years ago.

Hopefully they can correct all the issues. If it weren't for all the Brethren there I'm not sure if I'd go back again. Last year was better IMO.

I was there for some of the placing of teams. I was a bit amazed at their logic. Think of a large tetris board. The end we were, if I had stayed, was soft early on and everyone was advised to drain their grey water. this is a huge farm, seems they could have spread out a little bit more. Scott

Thanks for the welcome this knucklehead

Yardley was my first expososure to BBQ comp. What a day.

Big thanks for making me feel at home... Vinnie and his Dad, Muzzlebrake, (and their pit beotch... what was his name?), Sled, WannaBeBBQ Queen, The Fat Pollocks, Big Barry... and apologies to having a brain phart... and other Brethren brother team names I have forgotten.

The crazy humor made the heat bearable and aloof in goofiness.

I sit, I sit, I sit on you!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I walked by your site with my son (2 1/2, blonde curly hair) and he wanted to sit in your pool. I think if you'd put some ice in that thing you could've charged people for a 5 minute soak. Probably would've had a line as long as any vendor. Anyway, if I had realized you were Brethren, I'dda stopped and said howdy.

Aw, I remember seeing a little boy with curly blonde hair - what a cutie. Next time we'll have to find a way to put our banner up sooner so people might recognize the name a little. The ground was too rocky so we couldn't get the rebar that we use for the frame in the ground. We finally hung it along the side of the e-z up.

I'll tell you, that little pool being in the shade stayed pretty cold and it helped to cool me off pretty good.

Thanks to Stumpy Coals for the compressor to inflate the pool.

Donna

Our thoughts will be with Scott (Yakfishingfool) and his family today. We talked to him at the contest site yesterday and then left to get a few things. When we returned, we found out Scott had gotten got a phone call saying that his mother had passed. Needless to say, he left right away.

Scott,
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Donna & Brian

Aw, I remember seeing a little boy with curly blonde hair - what a cutie.

Thanks to Stumpy Coals for the compressor to inflate the pool.

Hah! Ain't he great? His name is Matthew. The only reason I walked him around was to show him off. :-D
He's a little shy though, and there was an awful lot going on so he didn't know what to make of it at first. When we got 2nd in chicken, his mom yelled with excitement which scared him and he cried. I love him to death though and I could talk about him all day.

Shawn from Stumpy Coals is a good guy. We met him at our very first comp 2 years ago. He's got real enthusiasm for bbq and really wants to do well. Glad to see he got some better results compared to last year.

Last edited:
Back