Yardbird & msg

Here's what I love, that even after MSG is removed from my products, a year later people are still including me in discussions about MSG. LOL. And yet, there are hundreds of BBQ products out there with MSG in them that don't get mentioned. Funny!

There are a couple rubs that the first ingredient is actually MSG. Being there or not didnt effect yardbird... I have been hitting with it for 5 years now!!! It's the cats a$$ on chicken. with or without MSG.

But if Chris wants to give me some old batch stuff, I'll be on a mission to win with it too... <evil grin here> Guess that could be called going Retro? Kinda like drinking a mountian dew with sugar instead of HF corn syrup!!!

Plowboy
You may want to check the description on Amazon's site.
They are saying
Ingredients
Salt, Sugar, Chili pepper, Paprika, Garlic, Onion, MSG, ...

:shocked:
Incorrect.
MSG does have a taste and the receptors are on the tongue, not in the brain.
Perhaps you didn't really mean this?

I'm sorry we disagree. MSG itself has no flavor. There may be some flavor accent products available with MSG on the market, but the MSG itself doesn't have flavor.

MSG triggers an effect on the taste buds which triggers certain brain activity.

Yes, I meant this.

What's all the bashing about MSG for? It may be old fashioned but it still serves it's purpose.

It still hosts the Knicks and Rangers and a lot of concerts, and being in Midtown it's accessible really from all areas of NY.

I just don't like to see one of the old classics bashed so much.

What's all the bashing about MSG for? It may be old fashioned but it still serves it's purpose.

It still hosts the Knicks and Rangers and a lot of concerts, and being in Midtown it's accessible really from all areas of NY.

I just don't like to see one of the old classics bashed so much.

You drink Busch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_restaurant_syndrome#Research_into_health_effects
While many people believe that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the cause of these symptoms, an association has never been demonstrated under rigorously controlled conditions, even in studies with people who were convinced that they were sensitive to the compound.[10][11][12][13]

A 2000 review found that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.
Discuss :p

We've had these discussions so many times before, but that's ok. My favorite argument against certain foods is that they make you obese. The MSG studies indicate that no difference in weight gain is achieved if the populations have the same caloric intake. Essentially, MSG makes the food taste better so that we eat more and gain more weight. Simple solution, celebrate blandness and ban flavor. I can see the advertising. "Yeah, you can eat Joe's BBQ and become obese, or you can eat at Gore's and we guarantee you will not gain any weight!" -- great endorsement. Let's shutdown this website while we're at it. I've gained 10 pounds, since I've gotten my membership. I'm sure others are in the same position. We have all the makings of a class-action lawsuit. I'm sure there are a few lawyers here. :becky:

MSG or No MSG

I have an old Yardbird bottle that says no MSG and have filled it with my MSG-laden 5 lb Yardbird stash for the people (like my M.I.L.) that walk around reading labels. I am down to the last few shakes and now wonder if I will have to buy some Accent to enhance the new formula to achieve that taste/brain response I have acquired. LOL

Here is another way one vendor chose to keep 'em happy on both sides of the fence based on something I bought many moons ago.

Want MSG? Read ingredients.
Want NO MSG? Read label.

IMG_0004.jpg

Some people have allergies

That is up for debate. I could be wrong, but I believe most all major medical publications have debunked the "MSG Allergy" claims. I know not everyone can be kidding themselves, but there are hypochondriacs in this world. It is entirely possible to talk yourself into feeling bad...but that might not be the case every time.

All I'm saying is that there is probably more glutamate in your natural, everyday food than is in food with commonly known, added MSG products (ACCENT).

As a fellow rub manufacturer myself, here's my take on it...

Regardless of recent research that may go against the grain of urban legend and suggest that MSG is really harmless and not the "bad guy" many folks make it out to be, there still exists a strong social stigma in popular culture today that MSG is bad and/or un-healthy and/or less wholesome than "all natural" products that don't contain the ingredient. Same could be said for High Fructose Corn Syrup. No real concrete evidence that it's bad for you, but popular culture and buying pressure of consumers is swaying the marketplace into developing products that no longer contain HFCS.

As a manufacturer, you must take all these things into consideration when formulating new products for market. I for one never saw any real benefit from adding MSG into any of my rubs and therefore have never used it in production. Likewise, I have several close relatives who swear to an MSG allergy. Real or otherwise, it affects their buying decisions. So, from my perspective, it's safer to leave it out and then if folks like your product the way it is, they could always add it back in themselves and be even more happy.

I'll bet a similar mindset is what caused Todd to remove it from his formulation as well.

Just my $0.02

Mike Trump
Oakridge BBQ LLC

That is up for debate. I could be wrong, but I believe most all major medical publications have debunked the "MSG Allergy" claims. I know not everyone can be kidding themselves, but there are hypochondriacs in this world. It is entirely possible to talk yourself into feeling bad...but that might not be the case every time.

All I'm saying is that there is probably more glutamate in your natural, everyday food than is in food with commonly known, added MSG products (ACCENT).

Is there not a difference in "Natrual glutament" and MSG itself??
It seems like your mission is to tell everyone who says they are allergic or sensitve to MSG that their hypochondriacs or making themselves feel bad?
Why is it so important to state this?
Maybe its just me, but I take offense to this. My wife suffers from major migraines, the kind that puts you in a fetal position. over 2 years ago, we stopped using products with MSG, NOT the natrual ones, not hydrolyzed oil, not the ones that occur natrually, just MSG on the label, result??
80% of her major migraines are gone, coincidance? FARK!! I don't care, she's not in pain anymore, thats what I care about.
For you to say its a myth or whatever negative stuff is nonesense, you're not the one suffering, so go ahead use it, snort it , sniff it, drink it, I don't care, but don't make someone else feel they're crazy or faking it because it doesn't happen to you.
I guess what I'm saying is if you don't like MSG, don't use it, if you do, that use it...
I'm probably stepping on toes, but I'm tired of people telling me, especailly my wife that she's imagining it, its all in your head etc...
I'm done...

off to the penalty box!

Thank you all for another great, no make that fantastic, semi-annual MSG thread. You are all doing a great job...

Back