THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used to do them to the 130ish IT range and they were fantastic!:-D Earlier this summer I bought a cryopack of about 10 tri-tips from RD and cooked the first one like I always have and it was like chewing on a rubber boot:shock::confused: (I'm now wondering if they were perhaps select grade):doh: :twitch:

:idea:
For the rest of this batch I've been treating them more like a brisket. Smoke to around 160 IT then wrap with a little broth (for these I use foil) then run them up to around 200. They turn out great, very tender and tasty. After I get through these I'll go back to my original method.

LOL-I read the infamous thread about Tri tip-that was funny. Who knew a piece of meat could cause emotions to boil over? I think I'm going to go the route of grilling it to 130ish, slicing and throwing too pink slices in a hot pan to fool the family.
If you are going this route, you can also toss the slices in a pan of hot beef broth for about a minute, maybe less. It will moderate the pink color without cooking more.

^^^ Backing away...

You may be struck by lightning.

I'll pray for you brother.

Ha! I hear ya and I get that it isn't bbq.

What I don't get is people that don't understand the concept of braising. I guess if you put a hunk of meat into a roasting pan with liquid and cover and into an oven it is ok because that is the "traditional way". But create that effect using another vessel and people lose their minds :crazy:.

^^^ Backing away...

You may be struck by lightning.

I'll pray for you brother.

Ha! I hear ya and I get that it isn't bbq.

What I don't get is people that don't understand the concept of braising. I guess if you put a hunk of meat into a roasting pan with liquid and cover and into an oven it is ok because that is the "traditional way". But create that effect using another vessel and people lose their minds :crazy:.
What I think it is easy for us to forget is that a lot of BBQ guys are just that, BBQ guys, and not necessarily cooks per se. So they know what works in our bbq world, but not so much otherwise.
Not that there is anything wrong with that:biggrin1:

What I think it is easy for us to forget is that a lot of BBQ guys are just that, BBQ guys, and not necessarily cooks per se. So they know what works in our bbq world, but not so much otherwise.
Not that there is anything wrong with that:biggrin1:

Yes, this is 100% correct :clap:. To some if it ain't smoked in a pit then you are ruining a piece of meat and it is disgusting :loco:.

I just read a thread about someone using the oven for brisket. I would think your crock pot tri tip would be allowed.
Do what's tastiest for you and family. You are the ones that matter. :thumb:

I just read a thread about someone using the oven for brisket. I would think your crock pot tri tip would be allowed.
Do what's tastiest for you and family. You are the ones that matter. :thumb:

That does it. If Jeanie says it's ok I'm goin crock pot. As much as I love brisket and all things bbq it is hard to beat my mama's pot roast. She is long gone but dang could she make some good roast. I know this is not the best piece of meat for it but I need to do something quick and my drum is not complete yet. Now the short ribs sitting in the fridge; they will wait for the drum's maiden voyage. Btw Jeanie, I loved your camp fire short rib cook!

This was said on page 2 Just adding my $0.02

One of the tricks I used to do when I was with my ex; who hated rare to medium rare beef. I would slice my serving and let it rest while placing hers in broth or au jus for a few minutes that was simmering in a skillet. Until the pink was gone. :becky:

Although I really thought "what was the point" when I made rib roasts. Even giving her the end pieces were "too rare" :doh:

You want it medium rare, but you need to get there slowly so fats have more time to melt.

Give it a quick hot sear, then low & slow until 140F internal.

Like others said, slice it thin against the grain.

That does it. If Jeanie says it's ok I'm goin crock pot. As much as I love brisket and all things bbq it is hard to beat my mama's pot roast. She is long gone but dang could she make some good roast. I know this is not the best piece of meat for it but I need to do something quick and my drum is not complete yet. Now the short ribs sitting in the fridge; they will wait for the drum's maiden voyage. Btw Jeanie, I loved your camp fire short rib cook!

I've never tried tri tip in a crock pot but hope it works out well for you. I enjoy old fashioned pot roast too. It's great comfort food! :-D

Thank you for the short rib cook comment. I made more this last trip but haven't posted pics. I'm trying not to post so many camp cook pics. :redface: :becky: lol

OK I ended up crock potting this thing and it was actually pretty good. Not bad for an $11 hunk of cow. My mil thought it was awesome but her roast is (ahem) not so good. She puts roast in the crock pot at noon and let's it cook for 4 or 5 hours. Her daughter (the wifey) tells her the truth about it but not me!. I just chew and chew like the good son in law that I am and tell her how good it is.

Back