Wood floor for smoke?

The problem with kiln dried wood is the moisture, or lack of.....

The seasoned wood we smoke with is usually about 25% + moisture content.

Kiln dried wood is between 8 and 12% moisture.....so dry that it'll flame on contact of heat!

Unless your gonna soak and thats an OLD thread......:twisted:

The problem with kiln dried wood is the moisture, or lack of.....

The seasoned wood we smoke with is usually about 25% + moisture content.

Kiln dried wood is between 8 and 12% moisture.....so dry that it'll flame on contact of heat!

Unless your gonna soak and thats an OLD thread......:twisted:

I used KD oak in my Egg for years and it worked fine because of the low oxygen environment.

I agree that KD is not ideal for many cookers...

Last edited:
I got trees available so I'll stick to that.

I used KD oak in my Egg for years and it worked fine because of the low oxygen environment.

I agree that KD is not ideal for many cookers...

And it will, and probably would work OK in a drum, but toss it in a stick burner or verticle and you get instant flameage......

NTTAWWT :cool:

:eek:
I think it ads to my creativity.

It's the plastic bottles that I think that are causing problems but they burn for hours!

:biggrin:

Y'all want something that smokes for hours and gives a very large quanitity of smoke try an old tire. :eek: The smoke has a little bite to it. :biggrin:

I would be skeptical with any wood that has been 'processed' in any way. You just never know where it's been, what's been done to it, etc. HOWEVER...I don't think that using it once, twice, three times a pork butt.. would be toxic. Would I smoke with it exclusively? Don't think so.

Good to hear. I'll to see if chems were applied before using any to smoke.

I figured that I wasnt alone in the use of flooring.

Thanks

Back