Recommendations for outdoor kitchen flooring

JAKs Q & brew

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonah
I am planning on adding a 12'x10' covered area next to my outdoor kitchen for the LSG Mini, FatStack 80 and 8' wood rack.

I am debating the best options for the floor. I am leaning towards just having decomposed granite, but I'm not sure if there will be issues. I figure the other option is poring a concrete pad.

Any thoughts on these options. Or others?

Of the two choices I would go with concrete.
Easy to roll/move things.
Easy to sweep or hose down.
If kept clean no chance of dragging stone dust into house.
If installed correctly concrete will always be flat where DG can shift and create dips and valleys.
Weeds/grass can eventually grow in decomposed granite.

DG is cheaper .

I have though about my next cooking area and I think DG will be it for me. I plan to use some thing like this stabilizer. https://www.organic-lock.com/decomposed-granite-stabilizer/ I have done it in the past, it worked pretty good.

I'm skeptical. It says that product is derived from organics and organics aren't suitable fer compaction.
Granular and cohesive are yer best choices fer a stabilizer imo.

-D

You could do pavers, if any settling occurs they won’t crack like concrete and they are more stable than dg. But they are more porous than concrete and will stain easier than concrete if you drip grease on them, although sealing them can help.

If you have the budget, concrete. If there is any grade (slope) that will channel rain water over the surface DG will erode into ruts.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will probably end up doing concrete since I am doing this as part of a large remodel. we will be pouring a few hundred sq ft of new foundation, so it probably won't be too much more $ to add a 10x12 pad.

I would go concrete. Longest lasting and easy to maintain. In LA or your location, it might not be an issue, but a drain is sure nice.

Back