Wicked Edge Sharpener Review

I got a chance to use my new Wicked Edge Sharpener today. I got the basic kit which comes with the 100/200 grit and 400/600 grit diamond stones. I ordered separately the leather strops with 5micron and 3 micron paste. I also ordered the 800/1000 grit diamond stones, but they are on backorder. Here is what I received:

WickedEdge2.jpg

WickedEdge3.jpg

WickedEdge1.jpg

Poor quality pictures from my cell phone.

The kit does NOT come with a base. There are various paperstone and stone bases available for $45-$75. I just could not see spending that much money, so I bought a 1"x12" piece of pine for $6 at Lowe's. I used the included template to drill the holes and countersunk them.

As for the sharpener, I love it. I sharpened several knives this morning. One of them is a Pampered Chef utility knife that I have never been able to get a decent edge on. Well, now it cuts paper with ease.

Pros - Very well made unit. Sharpens knives to a razor-sharp, polished edge. Able to dial in exact angles. Calibrated from 15*-30* in 1 degree increments. You can get a 12* angle as well, it is just not marked. Holds knife extremely steady. Very well made diamond stones. Has a depth/alignment tool for consistency. Large range of stones available, from diamond to Chosera water stones to diamond pasted strops.

Cons - Expensive (but worth it). There is the potential to cut yourself as there are no guards to protect your fingers. There is a learning curve.

I couldn't be more pleased with this unit. I have been using a Lansky sharpener for years with mediocre results. Now, I am able to get a factory quality edge on a knife, which is something I have never been able to do. When deciding to purchase, I looked hard at both the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro Apex systems. I know that the Edge Pro is just as good, but for me, the Wicked Edge fits the bill.

Thanks for posting. I'm currently in the market for a sharpening system and looked at this unit. I've tried sharpening them myself, but not able to get great results. Lately I've been taking my knives to a local knife shop to sharpen, but @ $5-$8 bucks a pop, it gets pretty expensive after a while. Time to open the wallet......Again.

I agree with this statement only to a point. It depends on your definition of sharp and what your standards are. I sharpened knives for years with various stones and could acheive what most would call extremely sharp. Certainly shave hair sharp. It was only when I purchased my EdgePro system did I really learn what sharp was. Put the blade under heavy magnification and you can see the difference. There are other systems and methods of sharpening that are just as good but you can't just use any old stone and get that kind of edge. Of course everyones standards are different and some don't require that keen of an edge.

A good friend used to be a butcher and he can sharpen a knife with anything. Knife sharpening systems are for guys like me who can't. I would love one of those systems, but can't justify the price. A shop up the street sharpens knives for a few bucks, and I can keep an edge on one for a while with a ceramic hone.

Back