Why the Pit Barrel Cooker Works

I don't know that I can travel that far myself but maybe to make up for distance we get a bash organized one in each state or region we can get one organized. We have a cook off at each one and then we have two teams team pit barrel cooker and team Ugly Drum Smoker. For each bash the winner will score 1 point for their team and whichever team gets the most points will prove once and for all which one is the best one the Pit Barrel Cooker or the Ugly Drum Smoker. Not sure on how to work out all the details to do this but I am sure there are plenty of people that can get something going and help newbies to organizing an event get something going. Just wondering if you guys like the idea of a War/competition?

That would be fun. I am up for that. Would be willing to help organize something in the St. Louis area.

That would be fun. I am up for that. Would be willing to help organize something in the St. Louis area.

We had a Throwdown here on the forum WSM verses Komando style cookers with detailed shots of the cooks and then let the Brethren voters decide. Perhaps one of the TD Mods could arrange a TD Special.

Man there was a lot of trash talking. :becky:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191725

And the UDS TD:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190368

Yeah maybe but I think the bash forum has been mostly dead for awhile and this would be a great way to get out and meet fellow brethren. While the throw downs are great I think you would have issues of everyone voting for the people who cooked on their favorite cooker. If we got people willing to judge in person I think it would be a much more fair evaluation of which is better. Not saying the throw downs are bad they are great but I think this would be a cool way to get out and meet brethren. What do you guys think? I am up for either but I am sure you can tell which way I am leaning.

Yep, just an idea. The neat thing is the photo documentation of the cooks on various types of smokers. A lot can be learned from folks that have these types of cookers to help folks on the fence about which one to get.

Heck, I would like to see a stick burner TD too!

People love UDS ribs and love PBC ribs, BUT there's another way coming soon....here's some BB from today in about 65 minutes. So there'll be another player in the normal UDS and PBC contest. :wink: I'll take the taste from this over both. BTW this R&D is very hard!

Yep, just an idea. The neat thing is the photo documentation of the cooks on various types of smokers. A lot can be learned from folks on the fence about which one to get.

what about both? A throw down and bash competitions? Throw down gets a point for those that can't travel and bashes can add more points to the overall. That way everyone is involved.

Yep, just an idea. The neat thing is the photo documentation of the cooks on various types of smokers. A lot can be learned from folks on the fence about which one to get.

Toast, I'm gonna be doing 2 butts and 2 racks of spares on the PBC in Shreveport on the 23rd of May for my son's graduation. If there's any left over I'll bring you a sample. Then you can give your opinion. :becky:
I'm actually doing the butts here early and vac-sealing after the pull. I've reheated pulled pork in boiling water in the vac-sealed bags and it tastes almost like it just came off the cooker.

Why is it everytime someone buys PBC the conversation starts all over? This is really old.

Yeah I know what you mean but that is why I am suggesting a war/competition/throw down to put an end to it once and for all. Plus it will be a whole lot of fun.

People love UDS ribs and love PBC ribs, BUT there's another way coming soon....here's some BB from today in about 65 minutes. So there'll be another player in the normal UDS and PBC contest. :wink: I'll take the taste from this over both. BTW this R&D is very hard!

I'll bite! Especially those ribs. What is it?

Toast, I'm gonna be doing 2 butts and 2 racks of spares on the PBC in Shreveport on the 23rd of May for my son's graduation. If there's any left over I'll bring you a sample. Then you can give your opinion. :becky:
I'm actually doing the butts here early and vac-sealing after the pull. I've reheated pulled pork in boiling water in the vac-sealed bags and it tastes almost like it just came off the cooker.

Very Cool! Maybe we'll have a TD going by then and you can document your cook. Either way, Ann & I would love to see you...especially with food. :becky:

Yeah I know what you mean but that is why I am suggesting a war/competition/throw down to put an end to it once and for all. Plus it will be a whole lot of fun.

Actually there's no need for a competition. Guys it's already been done and Patio Daddio has already proven the PBC is the winner. He won grand champion of the Pig Gig III and beat (twice) the guy known for his ribs in the ribs competition. It's over PBC wins! Pic your bottom lips off the floor and go home.....lol :becky:

Actually there's no need for a competition. Guys it's already been done and Patio Daddio has already proven the PBC is the winner. He won grand champion of the Pig Gig III and beat (twice) the guy known for his ribs in the ribs competition. It's over PBC wins! Pic your bottom lips off the floor and go home.....lol :becky:

Hey now the secret weapon didn't even get a chance to compete. :heh:

Very Cool! Maybe we'll have a TD going by then and you can document your cook. Either way, Ann & I would love to see you...especially with food. :becky:

Yep it'll be good seeing you guys again too... Plus you fed me that great left over thanksgiving fixins so I owe you a sample of my cookin. :thumb:

Hey now the secret weapon didn't even get a chance to compete. :heh:

Yes I've been hearing (reading really) about your "secret weapon" for awhile now. It's time to fess up and tell us how your making them ribs look that good in less than 2 hrs......

Fess up fess up :heh:

while that is impressive that hardly settles it. If you have a good enough cook they can cook with anything. Doesn't matter what they are using if they are good enough. Best way to get an idea of what the best cooker is would be to get a broad group of cooks to compete and with a larger group we can have a better idea of what works best. Plus what better way to have an excuse to build more smokers or finish ones that aren't done yet or order PBC's to adorn our yards. I think I may finish that uds soon and see what I can do if we get this going. I never cooked on one but why not? :boxing:

Back