why spares over babybacks?

As a judge, I'm getting kind of tired of seeing the same chicken thighs in every box. I actually get a little excited when I see legs, drummies, or even (gasp) a breast. Finally, something different. Same deal with BBs. If everybody turns in spares then my ribs will be the one the judges WANT to try because it's different.

Russ

Um, isn't this comparative in nature and kind of against the spirit of judging each respective entry on its own merit?

I would hate to think if I caught you at a table that you might unfavorably prejudge my chicken thighs and score down a bit because you felt like eating white meat that day.

I think RK's comment was a good testament to one of the "x factors" that can and do affect judges scores. While I don't think these sort of things are responsible when you catch those random sixes or sevens, I believe it's these type of things that can make the difference when a judge is deciding whether to put down and 8 or a 9.

These "x factors" are so hard to anticipate that you really can't attempt to play to it as a cook. Just gotta write it off as another piece of the subjective judging puzzle!

I did our prep today for comp this weekend. 2 x 3 packs of BB from Sams ..I have cooked these often and they are usually great. Lately, and it happened today, all the racks are trimmed BAD ..they have pieces of the backbone still attached. I practiced with one of these racks earlier this week and when cooked, when I go to cut them ..there is no "straight" "path" between the 2 rib bones ..you can't cut them !! Also, there are these little shards of bones on the ends of the ribs that could fall of or get into someones mouth. Today all 6 racks were horrible ... I went to another store this afternoon and bought 3 racks of Swift 1855 spares ... very nicely trimmed to KS cut, nice and thick without too much fat ..... very nice. So I think the bottom line is, cook the type that you can get high quality ...in my opinion the babybacks available to me here in the Reading Pa area has really hit bottom so spares are what we're gonna cook.
FB/SGP

As a judge, I'm getting kind of tired of seeing the same chicken thighs in every box. I actually get a little excited when I see legs, drummies, or even (gasp) a breast. Finally, something different. Same deal with BBs. If everybody turns in spares then my ribs will be the one the judges WANT to try because it's different.

Russ

We tried the leg thing and well...placing in the bottom 10% is not what we were after when we did. We went with the idea that judges were getting tired of thighs and would like seeing something else. WE WERE WRONG! After three comps, we went back to thighs and started getting calls again.

Spares have a wider window between, undercooks, done, and overcooked than BB. Also, here in the northeast BB are harder to find. It's hard to find a source for consistent spares, and BB are even more difficult.
This exactly why I do spares. They're more forgiving IMHO.

Back