Why don't BBQ competitions pay REAL money???

Might as well get my two cents in.....

When I am cooking a contest, I hate to be bothered by folks who have a million questions. The day before when no cooking is going on, I will chat but there is no one there to chat with. Then the day of the cooking the folks start rolling through, I get into that zone where my wife even knows to stand back. I don't mean to be cranky, but I take this seriously just like anything else I do.

All said, I would think cook-offs should be for cooks and the spectators should stick to the things they do as a hobby.

Exactly why BBQ contests dont pay the big money. If there are 50 teams at a contest there are at least 40 teams that view spectators with contempt. I dont really blame the teams though. They paid their money and want to take the cooking part seriously. Most organizers do a really terrible job of managing the relationship between team and spectator.

Until that relationship gets figured out, there simply cant be big money in BBQ. Right now the money in BBQ is basically whatever money the dead money brings to the table whether it is through contests, classes or buying rubs and sauces. BBQ is just consolidating the dead money into the pockets of a few teams.

I am pretty sure the majority of teams in bbq would take a Jack GC and not care of they won a dime...

And at the same time, it seems bitter sweet to win a world championship and walk away with pocket change.

"I won the Jack and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." :becky:

I heart emoticons!

Last edited:
And at the same time, it seems bitter sweet to win a world championship and walk away with with pocket change.

"I won the Jack and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." :becky:

I heart emoticons!

competition barbeque is much more popular than chili i think, and far mor expensive (this i know for a fact). my brother competes in chili competitions and his kit consists of a 10X10, a table, a hot plate and a pot. this being said, is anyone in the know enough to be able to explain why the chili champ makes $25,000.00?. if so, perhaps we could apply some of what they're doing to what we're doing.

I am pretty sure the majority of teams in bbq would take a Jack GC and not care of they won a dime...

Yup...in a heartbeat! :thumb: Most folks I know cook for braggin' rights and the thrill of a walk...last I checked...braggin' rights don't pay diddly! :becky:

competition barbeque is much more popular than chili i think, and far mor expensive (this i know for a fact). my brother competes in chili competitions and his kit consists of a 10X10, a table, a hot plate and a pot. this being said, is anyone in the know enough to be able to explain why the chili champ makes $25,000.00?. if so, perhaps we could apply some of what they're doing to what we're doing.

Does the chili get distributed to the public? If so, does the promoter get a gate fee?

Does the chili get distributed to the public? If so, does the promoter get a gate fee?

I've dabbled in chili cookoffs, and $25k is not the norm. I could believe that for Terlingua, but there are some serious CASI cooks here that would know much better than I do.

Bass Fishing is closer to the possible relationship between competitors and sponsors...however, Bass Boats, Motors, Rods, Reels, etc. are bought in HUGE numbers by the average Joe's that want to emulate KVD. I don't see people lining up to by a $46K BBQ trailer rig (think bass boat) or $150 worth of rub, sauce, gloves, tongs, etc. Hell, it's a slow day when I get out of Bass Pro Shop for less that $150.

It may happen but BBQ just does not generate the revenue of other sponsored "sports".

I'll bet Reynolds Alluminum Foil and Kingsford charcoal both out gross the best selling bass boat manufacturer. I get your point, but I think that may be a narrow view of the problem.

Side tangent, on the average in season weekend, how many BBQ comps happen? Same for PBR events, how many on one weekend? I honestly don't know the answer here.

I'll bet Reynolds Alluminum Foil and Kingsford charcoal both out gross the best selling bass boat manufacturer. I get your point, but I think that may be a narrow view of the problem.

Side tangent, on the average in season weekend, how many BBQ comps happen? Same for PBR events, how many on one weekend? I honestly don't know the answer here.

probably 25 or so sanctioned BBQ events each weekend during the summer.

I can honestly say that 98% of the time, I never know the payouts of a contest. If you are doing it for the money... find another way to make money!

PBR or Bass Fishing level money will change Comp BBQ forever. The cook will be come like the driver in Nascar. The driver ain't the team, they are just a tool. As a cook, you'll have to audition to be on a team owned by some fat cat who is backing the whole operation.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but the point is that unless you have deep pockets, you won't be able to be competitive in a big money BBQ sport. Just like in racing, big money wins more than loses.

I agree with Plowboy!! Big money being invloved changes things...Just look at how screwed up NASCAR is now...I think that "BIG MONEY" will corrupt BBQ and drive away the "small-time" teams like mine and thousands of other teams across the country that do it for the thrill of hearing their name called at the awards ceremony!!! The days of a no-name team shockin the world and knocking off one of the big-dawgs at a contest by winning GC/RGC would probably be a thing of the past...Let comp BBQ stay what it was meant to be....people coming together that are NUTS about cookin Q' who wanna have some fun!!! :thumb:

Competition BBQ isn't nearly as spectator friendly. As for your other point, Reynolds, Kingsford etc. almost all certainly have a much smaller margin per unit sold and require tremendous volume to see a return on investment.

I just haven't seen a model yet that can support the investment required in terms of sponsorship to really change the game. Sam's has come the closest, but I don't see that as being a realistic model to change competition BBQ as we know it today. In terms of product sold to teams, and marketing value I suspect Sam's will break even or come out ahead on the series as it exists this year. I don't think you could expand it exponentially and expect the same return though.

watching BBQ may be boring as others said, but box building in the last 5-10 minutes is pretty exciting.

it works for chopped.(although i think even that prize is only 10K)

if that could be left intact and filmed properly, could make for some good TV. tack on a few start-up shots with teams that actually use kingsford, stubbs, RO, whathaveyou, pepper in some middle shots foiling with reynolds and you might have a real winner.

the only downside is the box itself would have to be seen, and thus competitive edge and aninimty would be lost.

I agree with Plowboy!! Big money being invloved changes things...Just look at how screwed up NASCAR is now...I think that "BIG MONEY" will corrupt BBQ and drive away the "small-time" teams like mine and thousands of other teams across the country that do it for the thrill of hearing their name called at the awards ceremony!!! The days of a no-name team shockin the world and knocking off one of the big-dawgs at a contest by winning GC/RGC would probably be a thing of the past...Let comp BBQ stay what it was meant to be....people coming together that are NUTS about cookin Q' who wanna have some fun!!! :thumb:

yeah, there's also this^^^^^which i really kinda agree with.

My $.02:
It’s all about sponsorships. And with sponsorships it’s all about ROI. Companies, organizations, etc. are hesitant to kick in sponsorship money (i.e. a portion of their advertising budget) unless they are relatively certain they are going to reap a return on their investment.

If you look at event sponsorship as advertising, the companies have to evaluate the potential exposure (i.e. how many people is the advertising reaching), and what % of that target audience will buy their product. Our contests generally reach a very small audience, and have minimal media exposure and Reynolds needs to sell a lot of boxes of aluminum foil to cover a $25k contribution to the prize pool.

Two things about comps here in California.

1. Most are linked to another event like a festival or car show. Sponsors are more likely to jump on board if there are guaranteed eyes there.

2. A lot of comps have a people's choice component. That gives teams a chance to recoup some of their expenses by selling their extra meat and it gets people nvolved because they get to taste competition bbq and vote for their favorite and pull for them at awards..

DidN't Ron Cates already try to do that this year. He put $125K in prize money up and paid out 50 places in each category. For all that promotion and effort, 95 teams showed up. That type of turn out for that type of money is not creating an environment where promoters are going to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, the venue could have been more centrally located and more teams probably would have came but at the end of the day, the opportunities are there but not for long if participation doesn't ramp up!

With the majority of comp teams located east of the Mississippi and gas prices as high as they are the turn out doesn't shock me.

Competition BBQ isn't nearly as spectator friendly
I definitely agree.

As for your other point, Reynolds, Kingsford etc. almost all certainly have a much smaller margin per unit sold and require tremendous volume to see a return on investment..

Margin is not relevant. What is the annual ad spend for Reynolds vs. That bass boat maker.

I just haven't seen a model yet that can support the investment required in terms of sponsorship to really change the game.
it is out there somewhere. Whether anyone finds it and seizes the opportunity....I am not sure. I DO think the SAMs series is a definite step in that direction.

Back