Spectating at competitions?

Orthodox_Caveman

Hey y'all. I was just wondering if, in your experience, there are often spectators (i.e. not cooks nor judges) at large competition events. I'd personally be willing to pay a decent amount in order to eat kickass bbq and drink beer at a gathering. I know that the American Royal does sell passes that get you into the main event, but seeing how that's the largest competition, I was wondering if smaller events have a similar practice.

Some comps have admissions, some are free. Some offer peoples choice that allow you purchase tasting tickets to sample competitors entries and vote for your favorite, and almost all will have vendors cooking up similar fare to what you are smelling. Quite often, if you go and strike up a conversation with a cook team, especially after turn-ins, most will offer up a sample because they don't want it to go to waste. There are many ways to get good bbq at comps.

Most events have bbq food vendors that pay big money to have a spot. Some good, some not so good but its easy to figure out.

A agree with Sled on the vendors. It addition, a portion of their take for the event goes to support the event.

As far as visiting the teams, most teams have down tim eon Friday night, so that is a good time. Some will pause from their timeline on Saturday morning, but others will shut themselves in to concentrate on their entries. If you come by on Saturday morning, don’t be a=offended if a team is not available, or if they excuse themselves to get something done. After turn ins, most of us are packing up and want to get it done before awards.

Never knew there was an entry charge, have to check on that in the future. I've just wandered through several comp sites, and talked to a number of people there. I always choose someone sitting down relaxing, nod "Hi" while looking, and wait for them to say something before engaging in a conversation. If they offer samples, I'll accept them. Basicly, common courtesy goes a long way. I don't figure they are there to feed me.

dadsr4 nailed it...common courtesy goes very far. We've never actually run into someone that wasn't courteous. Granted, we're a relatively new team. I'm sure there's some horror stories.

We sit down outside during our free time between turn-ins and chat it up with locals all the time. My teammate and I don't usually save the leftover chicken and ribs, so we'll set out the ones that didn't make the box for people to take. Leftover pork and brisket is a different story! ;)

Back