Why brisket is overrated

Brisket is just too expensive for your average joe to experiment on. I tried once and felt like I just wasted $50, So I stick with ribs and pork.

Brisket is just too expensive for your average joe to experiment on. I tried once and felt like I just wasted $50, So I stick with ribs and pork.

I wait for them to go on sale for $1.99/lb and try to find one for less than $30. I inject them with beef broth, with a little onion and garlic juice.

I have been happy with the final result. I do use a pellet grill, so that does make it easier.

I'm just thankful that it's pretty easy to cover up a slightly bad brisket due to BBQ places pulling off that trick for years :)

I've definitely served some that I've personally been embarrassed over just to get a bunch of accolades from folks walking by with pieces covered in sauce. I just make sure to pull a CYA move with the few people I know will know.

That's also why it's important to make good sides and sauce. Most folks seem to judge BBQ places/cooks on those two things more than the meat.

Brisket... I fall into the love hate relationship. I have had some good brisket at Mission BBQ and some fantastic pastrami at Katz deli. So i must like the cut of meat.

Now i have tried cooking brisket 3 times. All choice from local butchers. All 3 it just tasted like pot roast to me. Not sure maybe i need to up the salt content and try smoking on something like an offset or something giving more smoke profile then my pellet. Meat was tender yes but flavor i felt i could get the same roasting it in the oven. For me the cheapest i got it was 4.50/lb for a 15lber. That gave me a ton of leftovers. So for at home i have a hate relationship with brisket.

See my comments below

Yes, many dislike cooking brisket, few will admit it.

1. Brisket is a damn bland piece of meat. Good luck getting it seasoned without an injection of salt and msg. Of course some people are ok with little to no flavor and if that's you then maybe it's not bland to you. If you cook brisket on a smoker that cost $2,000 or more it will taste great and have lots of flavor.

2. Packers nowadays have ultra thin flats that dry out before the fatty points have rendered. Fail on bothIf you spend $300 or more on a packer you can find some very thick flats.

3. Barbecue is making tough, cheap meats delicious, or for brisket you have WAGYU! Again spend over $300 on a brisket whether or not it is Wagyu and it will be wonderful.

4. Watch almost any video of smoked brisket. It's set in smoke for a little bit and then braised in foil in the smoker (or oven) to do the real cooking.If you have a $2,000 plus smoker you can run it naked the whole time.

5. There are so many more delicious cuts of meat to smoke, why waste time with brisket?Because generally it is the most expensive cut of meat and thus is guaranteed to be the best. Ribs rule, pulled pork is great but I see people struggling and failing with brisket all the time like it's a rite of passage.

Hey, it's ok if you don't like brisket. Only people not willing to spend the money will not like brisket

As usual, this is my opinion and ymmv.I get great mileage on my Tesla

Oh something I forgot.

Brisket is the only BBQ meat I know where you have to pray for a good packer. With ribs, sausage or shoulder, just get a pack and go. Choosing your brisket is like a dark art. It has to fold just so, the marbling has to be this much, measure the flat to make sure it's yea thick, and then let it wet age for more than 42 but less than 45 days at 33 to 34 degrees and if it stinks when you pull it out throw it out and start over.

I exaggerate but you get my point

I just love it when you get the majority of the Brethren thinking, it seems that you also learn from your posts.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You could become a better rib and PB cook if you started pick and choosing your ribs and PB's like you do briskets.....just sayin'. Why just cook any package that you comes along first, just don't make sense to me? Would you date the first girl you see, or would you pick and choose those?:pray:

Ive had brisket ,in Texas, that was mediocre,

Yep, that happens more often than it should. However, there is some really great stuff here, just finding it takes some time. Not every corner shop turns out quality Q, just like any other independent restaurant.

@bob c cue, great humor as always. Lol

I'm just thankful that it's pretty easy to cover up a slightly bad brisket due to BBQ places pulling off that trick for years :)

I've definitely served some that I've personally been embarrassed over just to get a bunch of accolades from folks walking by with pieces covered in sauce. I just make sure to pull a CYA move with the few people I know will know.

That's also why it's important to make good sides and sauce. Most folks seem to judge BBQ places/cooks on those two things more than the meat.

Well said. I always had BBQ with sauce. Moist(point) brisket is great with sauce. When I started qing I've been cooking BBQ with zero sauce, and in that application brisket falls short for me.

Brisket... I fall into the love hate relationship. I have had some good brisket at Mission BBQ and some fantastic pastrami at Katz deli. So i must like the cut of meat.

Now i have tried cooking brisket 3 times. All choice from local butchers. All 3 it just tasted like pot roast to me. Not sure maybe i need to up the salt content and try smoking on something like an offset or something giving more smoke profile then my pellet. Meat was tender yes but flavor i felt i could get the same roasting it in the oven. For me the cheapest i got it was 4.50/lb for a 15lber. That gave me a ton of leftovers. So for at home i have a hate relationship with brisket.

Same boat. I only cook for two. When I cooked brisket the lefftovers would go in the fridge and some would inevitably go bad once we got tired of it. Doesn't happen with ribs ever.

I just love it when you get the majority of the Brethren thinking, it seems that you also learn from your posts.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You could become a better rib and PB cook if you started pick and choosing your ribs and PB's like you do briskets.....just sayin'. Why just cook any package that you comes along first, just don't make sense to me? Would you date the first girl you see, or would you pick and choose those?:pray:

Ribs are universally good. No need to pick and choose. Just get spare ribs, and cook em whole. Walla. No trimming or anything necessary.

Ribs are the quintessential BBQ cut- amen!

As far as leftovers...3 pounds of ribs are easier to eat than 12 pounds of brisket. Unless you are cooking 4 racks at a time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

no way are ribs a universal, just grab and go item. first you have to decide what you like, lionbacks, baby backs, whole spares, st loius cut. then certain brands are pumped full of solution to varying amounts. watch out for shiners and scalped racks.....I wont even buy certain brands of ribs. I'm very choosy with them. brisket I just pick the best looking choice or above one I can find. same thing I do for all beef.

I don't feel that spending $50-$60 for a Choice packer to have 10lbs of meat to feed 20 people is too much. If I'm feeding 20 people pork ribs I'll be spending the same having to buy 5 racks and you can still easily mess up ribs too. For a crowd it's great and i feel people appreciate it much more than pork/ribs because they don't get to eat brisket often.

I really do love brisket. I wish I cooked it more, but to me cooking a big brisket for only a couple people is a waste unless I know I'm making chili after or something. i don't want to have to freeze it or throw any out if it's in the fridge for a week. I'd rather have beef ribs and not have to worry about the leftovers.

When I cooked brisket the lefftovers would go in the fridge and some would inevitably go bad once we got tired of it. Doesn't happen with ribs ever.

We have the exact opposite experience with leftovers. Ribs sit and then get tossed, no one has any interest in left over ribs regardless of how good they were to begin with. Left over brisket is gone within a couple of days (chili, sandwiches, nachos, straight up to name a few ways). When I cook chicken, it's gone the next day if there is any leftover.

I'd weigh in on pork butt or shoulder but I don't cook it since we all find it unappealing (bland and pretty one dimensional in its use).

When i do cook a whole packer, the flat usually ends up in chili or stroganoff. None of my family likes the flat, only the point. Same thing for St Patty's day, Corned beef has to be the point or my family wont eat it.

We have the exact opposite experience with leftovers. Ribs sit and then get tossed, no one has any interest in left over ribs regardless of how good they were to begin with. Left over brisket is gone within a couple of days (chili, sandwiches, nachos, straight up to name a few ways). When I cook chicken, it's gone the next day if there is any leftover.

I usually cut my brisket leftovers into dinner size portions for me and my wife. Vac seal and freeze. Then I can have brisket any day of the week after dropping the bag in simmering water for 10 mins

Back