Why brisket is overrated

Yes, many dislike cooking brisket, few will admit it.

1. Brisket is a damn bland piece of meat. Good luck getting it seasoned without an injection of salt and msg. Of course some people are ok with little to no flavor and if that's you then maybe it's not bland to you.

2. Packers nowadays have ultra thin flats that dry out before the fatty points have rendered. Fail on both

3. Barbecue is making tough, cheap meats delicious, or for brisket you have WAGYU!

4. Watch almost any video of smoked brisket. It's set in smoke for a little bit and then braised in foil in the smoker (or oven) to do the real cooking.

5. There are so many more delicious cuts of meat to smoke, why waste time with brisket? Ribs rule, pulled pork is great but I see people struggling and failing with brisket all the time like it's a rite of passage.

Hey, it's ok if you don't like brisket.

As usual, this is my opinion and ymmv.

In other words, you suck at cooking briskets. :tongue:

Just about everything you mentioned above is kind of like the "321 method" for ribs. Not required to get good results, but can make things easier for those who don't know wtf they are doing. Guys that are cooking Wagyu for the most part are either well off and would buy Prime steaks for back yard cooks as well, or, they are trying to win competitions, where even a couple of percentage points can make a huge difference. Plenty of people make really great briskets out of what you find at the grocery store. They don't all go in and play with every brisket to find the perfect flop. They don't look for left hand briskets instead of right. Like I'd guess most discerning cooks do, they pick one up, give it a quick once over to make sure that it doesn't look crappy and into the cart it goes. Hell, some of the best "Texas brisket places" use freaking select brisket and have people lined out the door every day.

As for seasoning, I'd guess that all you do is sprinkle it with some salt and pepper or something like you would a steak. That's a mistake. It's a huge piece of meat that will be cut into somewhat thin slices with little exposed surface area, so you need to go much heavier. Doesn't need to be encrusted or anything like that, but just go really heavy on it.

As for the thin flat, that's usually just the last part of it if you selected wisely. Just cut that part off and do whatever you want with it. It's like taking off the piece of flap meat on the back of a rack of spare ribs.

On the issue of wrapping, again, that's just to make it easier for most folks. There's a reason why wrapping in foil is commonly known as "The Texas Crutch". It's actually very easy to cook successfully cook a delicious brisket "nekkid". Folks have been doing it for decades and still do.

Lastly, many of the vids you are probably referencing are trying to cook the "perfect" brisket. I.e., James Beard award winning, Michelen Star kind of thing. you don't have to achieve that level of perfection to do a really good brisket. Again, you just have to know wtf you are doing.

One more lastly. Funny that you list all those things then go on to talk up ribs and pulled pork (butts). Guess what ? Every single "negative" you mentioned for brisket would apply to both butts and ribs as well. Ribs get wrapped for Comps. Butts get thrown into pans and covered in foil. People are very picky about choosing their cuts. They go for higher quality product like Berkshire/Kurabota (kind of the pork equivalent of Wagyu._

In short, your little rant is a basically a load of bs. The fact is, you just don't know how to cook a brisket.

#1 BBQ joint in Texas does not sell prime or Waygu. They cook Select and Choice and have a line that goes down the street.

I think maybe Ugly Drum Smokers are over rated and just terrible at BBQ?

#1 BBQ joint in Texas does not sell prime or Waygu. They cook Select and Choice and have a line that goes down the street.

I think maybe Ugly Drum Smokers are over rated and just terrible at BBQ?

I’m curious, what place is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t like brisket try a beef shoulder clod. It’s cheaper and you get more meat. This is the cut of meat that most Texas joints used befor brisket became famous

I agree with this post. I am not from TX but before i got into BBQ, we had a guy (RIP "TEX") He was serving chopped clod on kaiser rolls plain or with sauce. I guess people assumed it was brisket but i don't believe he ever called them "brisket" sandwiches. It may have been a play on words, but it was delicious regardless.

Brisket is hard to get dialed in, but well worth it once you do. I just cooked three Costco primes yesterday, but to be honest the HEB select grade I cooked two weeks earlier were better. (or I just effed up, haha!)

Just realized that people coming into this thread may only read the original post and then comment without realizing we've been warned by the moderators to watch what we say. This thread has gotten so big so quickly that many won't realize what this had devolved into. Something to keep in mind.

Brisket is almost done. It's 3:00AM and the offset is ripping, BeeGees jamming Night Fever. You're not going to get that experience with boring @ss ribs..........Over Rated PFFFFTT........

2ppx17s.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhoooooovvvvrrrrated!!!!!!!!DRY AND FLAVORLESS UGGGHHH!!!!!! THIIIN FLATS!!!!! FAIL ON BOTH PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!

15zjk9h.jpg

2qlwsd5.jpg

dw3sxy.jpg

Seriously though I used Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning as I saw Smitty mention before. No bark but I thought it was great. I would use it again, just add more black pepper next time. Maybe a 2:1 or 50/5O to get some bark.

Last edited:
Hot and fast really makes cooking brisket a cake walk. Try this: rub with Black ops, 300 degrees for four hours. Wrap in butcher paper, probe it around an hour later. Keep going until it probes like a hot knife going through butter. No resistance. If you don’t like the way it tastes then you don’t like brisket. I’m hungry.

BeeGees jamming? ....Oh Lord! (^^^results look mighty fine.)

My option: brisket = Overpriced, & under rated.

Rockinar, that brisket looks HORRIBLE! Nice job. Thanks a lot. Now I am incredibly hungry for some...overpriced brisket...:thumb::thumb:

My dad use to say if you soak your feet in Clorox water it will get rid of athletes feet.... I’m on a trip back from Ohio.... and I think I have athletes feet.... imma try the Clorox thingy!!!!! Brisket is fun to cook..... I’m good at it.... but brisket ain’t my favorite thing
Now smile a minute..... almost home.....

Brisket is my favorite thing to cook and eat partly because it took me a long time to get it right. I think it is the hardest cut to consistently get right. Also, I can't wait to go to Austin next weekend and eat my body weight in Texas style brisket to do a very thorough test to confirm if TX bbq is as good as claimed...

Here is one I cooked yesterday on my UDS.

IMG-20181110-193520-254.jpg

Before I moved here I was usually 50/50 on brisket. Ah people were kind always telling me how good it was as I watched their mouths move like it was a piece of jerky that had laid on the counter for 6days..
The gnashing of teeth..
The hard swallow...
The lightning quick grab for a beverage ta hustle it down..

Now up here, it's far to expensive ta experiment on...
So...I'll stick with short ribs and Chuck!

I still see their faces....

-D

I must be doing something wrong. Last weekend I bought a choice flat at Sam's that was roughly the right shape and price I was looking for, trimmed off the excess fat, threw some rub on it, hung it in the PBC for a few hours, wrapped it, cooked it a bit longer, and sliced it up for dinner without even letting it rest.

And the wife said it was amazing.

Wow, 8 pages of brisket love, lol

great brisket IS good, not so great brisket is not, :-D

Ive had brisket ,in Texas, that was mediocre, most brisket Ive had was mediocre, I wont cook it ,its way too expensive here, so Im not waiting to get good at it, I like ribs, and beef short ribs are great, yall can have my share of brisket,....:p

Back