Why are some so defensive about their region of Q?

Whole hog is what I was raised on and 99.98% of que here is pork. BUT, I am an equal opportunity eater and do not discriminate against any form of smoked and or grilled items!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I lived in Texas, the guys at work invited me to the beach one Friday evening for some beer and said they were "bringin the pit". I thought it odd that they could transport a pit to the beach but maybe they had a nice pit on a trailer for that sort of thing.

Get to the beach and "the pit" was a medium sized propane grill from Lowes. :clap:

Texans!!

"Don't sell yourself short on how good our smoked fish is though. There is some stellar smoked fish (salmon, white fish, etc.) in this state."

We have some incredible fish smokers here in Minnesota. I would never sell that short. However that is about the only traditional smoking method that is common up in the area where I''m from. We aren't known nationally for any special type of BBQ like NC pulled pork or Texas brisket by any stretch of the imagination.

It's a regional thing. Texas likes beef North Carolina likes pork. Here the retired Yankees think it comes prepackaged. I was ask to cook BBQ for a church group. One lady ask me what brand I used. Not sure where she was from.

I seem to recall Pitmaster T telling about making pulled pork for a church event or something in Texas, and some of the natives telling him it was the best brisket they'd ever had.

I'm certain that a whole lot of these negative ideas that people get, come from having one bad experience at a tourist trap that makes terrible BBQ.

Yeah, pretty much any beef, even a pot roast I make, my girls call it brisket. Nobody I personally know talks about pulled pork but they all love brisket. In all the years I've been doing "Q" I've only done one pork butt. Family didn't like it. I think it had more to do with me not knowing what the hell I was doing than the meat though. Gotta try another one soon.

People just have set ways. To some public, a Smoke Ring is the only way to determine good que --- not eating it. Or that good BBQ has to be covered in sauce. In our restaurant we don't serve the BBQ with sauce one it, only the side. I've seen a number of people pick up the salt shaker and the sauce bottle and cover the food in sauce BEFORE they taste it. They'll never know what my Q really taste like. At least I have some good sauces too :grin:

Doesn't matter where this guy was from. He could've been born in Michigan and still be a closed minded idiot.

Hey now, I am from Michigan and will eat anything as long as it doesn't stink or bite back!! :razz:

Had the owner of The Pig House in Jackson, TN tell me the reason is beef is considered BBQ by Texans because you'd have to get off your horse to steal a pig.

My favorite BBQ will probably always be brisket but i really enjoy pulled pork (had some last week in TN from Joyner's Jack's Creek BBQ) and ribs (wet and dry) and all kinds of sausage and one of these days is gonna try a Carolina BBQ pilgrimage (and hopefully meet up with some of my NC & SC Brethrens).

I like GOOD BBQ.

Indeed. Ketchup on a hot dog? HERECY!!!

Ketchup belongs on hot dogs, burgers, fries and even soft pretzels :shocked: in my world. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. :grin:

The good thing about growing up sheltered like me, being told ground beef mixed with ketchup and mustard on a hamburger roll is BBQ, is that I have no connection to any form of real BBQ, one region or another. It's all good from where I'm standing. Beef, Pork, just bring it, I say.

Being born, raised, and lived there for 55 years in Texas, I can safely say I am a Texan. When I moved here from Texas, I went to a local que joint and ordered a sliced brisket sammich.

The waitress looked at me like I had two heads. "You can't barbeque Brisket, it would be so dry and tough you couldn't chew it" So I wound up getting one of their "already chewed" pork sammies. Of course all you could taste was the sauce and the bun. I told the wife, "I think we made a mistake moving here to Georgia." But we stuck it out and found better "already chewed" pork, and all was well. :mmph:

Not intending to offend any of our Texas brethren but since moving to Northwest Louisiana I have learned that Texas folk is proud folk. They LOVE being from Texas and are very proud of anything from Texas. And in some cases saying your favorite "something" is "something" not from Texas is by default insulting Texas. Even though you never said as much. Proud folk I say. Very proud. :boxing:

You are right, Texas folks are proud of their state for a variety of reasons, from the “Don't mess with Texas" litter campaign slogan (yep, it's about not littering) to the state history and the state history of its BBQ.

I'd like to see more state pride in my current state of Alabama, in the state itself, not just the college football teams.

As a Native and raised Texan I can assure you there may very well not be a prouder bunch of folks of all things Texas but when it puts the blinders on and creates irrational thinking/comments over something like BBQ it can cause an opinion to be formed of anybody from Texas as being arrogant towards certain things.

This individual is letting his Texas pride close his mind. Vanilla ice cream is my favorite but I like Neapolitan too.

Ketchup belongs on hot dogs, burgers, fries and even soft pretzels :shocked: in my world. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. :grin:

The good thing about growing up sheltered like me, being told ground beef mixed with ketchup and mustard on a hamburger roll is BBQ, is that I have no connection to any form of real BBQ, one region or another. It's all good from where I'm standing. Beef, Pork, just bring it, I say.

That was my childhood, my mom (bless her) was an awful cook. I didn't learn to enjoy food till I moved away from home.

I really like to enjoy bbq from different regions and cultures . I feel bbq is an experience.

As Mark Twain said " Travel is fatal to prejudice , bigotry , and narrow- mindedness , and many of our people need it sorely on theses accounts "

Enjoy the Que !

I smoked some ribs for a friend of mine for a family cookout of about 20 people. He wanted me to do ribs and He'd do some hotdogs and burgers "onsite" for those who didn't eat ribs (there were a lot of younger kids coming).

He came and picked up the ribs and earlier this week called me and said one of his wife's relatives wanted me to smoke him some ribs because he liked them so much. So I told him to give the guy my # and when he's ready to give me a call or email or whatever. So the guy gives me a call (almost immediately) and I smoke him two slabs and he comes by to pick them up yesterday evening. Got to talking with him and realized that he wasn't really a guy who cooked bbq but loved to eat it. He's born and raised in Texas and he asked me where I was originally from. I told him Mississippi. He asked if I did a lot of chopped beef sammiches and I told him not really because I prefer pulled pork sammiches. He looked at me like I just put a turd in his mouth. :sick: He was like "Oh my god you're kidding me?" I was like "Nooo, I'm not kidding. The further east you go from here the more you see pork and the less you see of beef BBQ." I asked him if he'd ever tried a pulled pork sammy and he said "No and don't want to. That doesn't even sound good." I told him it was pork, just like those ribs he liked so much that he wanted me to smoke for him and that I had some in the fridge I could heat up if he wanted to try it. He absolutely refused to try it and continued on to tell me that "chopped beef" was the "real bbq sammich" not pork. But I asked him "How do you know if you like or don't like something that you've never even tasted?" He just responded "Texas folks don't eat that stuff. Beef is BBQ around here."

So I let it go and asked him for my money to cover my cost in the meat and supplies to do his ribs, and sent him on his way. I just don't get the "regional" loyalty when it comes to bbq, especially to the point of boycotting even trying something from another region. The more I cook for different folks and the more I talk to different folks from different regions the more I see of this. Hell, it's food for crying out loud not your mother's reputation. :crazy:

Chinese Proverb: A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.

Back