Can Chucks Be Grilled?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Can a choice chuck be reverse seared and still be tender enough to be enjoyed and not leave you with a worn out jaw? I saw a guy do one on YT. He sliced it fairly thin, said it had just a slight chew, but you never saw him put it in his mouth and chew it. I think I’ve only done one chuckie like that, but it had too much chew for me.

With a marinade, sliced thin, and a jaccard, yes. No need for reverse sear since you want to go hot and fast.

You can also keep it thick ( 2-3 inch ) and sous vide it at 132F for 24 hours, then let it drop down to 120F and reverse sear it. It will be prime rib tender. Side of horseradish sauce and some au jus, and your in heaven. I like to mix 50/50 inglehoffer cream style horseradish and sour cream, and Minor's beef au jus base for the au jus dip.

Last edited:
Whats this about the Denver steak coming from the chuck, that and the Chuck eye. Supposed to rival ribeyes.

- G

Oh yeah.
Grill slowly over fire/coals at about 300F to slightly above medium rare, about 2 hours +/-.
The fat should mostly render but the collagen won't break down completely.
An arm roast may work better than a chuck.
I like to score roast, then marinate and baste while cooking, but dry brining can also work.
Here is my video of grilling arm roast over open fire.

temp-Image-Ch-YNkb.avif

honestly, I prefer to turn my chucks into my version of Chicago Italian Beef.

Italian seasonings, a head of garlic, 1 med sweet onion, 1 bay leaf, black pepper.
Sear the boneless chuck in a hot pan, place into a slow cooker cover with beef stock or beef broth (homemade is best), cook until it's fall apart tender...about 8-10 hours. Optional, use some red wine to augment the beef broth, but I tend to skip this as I feed scraps to the dogs.

Fish out the meat, strain the jus into a sauce pan. Fish out any remain meat from the strainer and discard the remaining solids.
Return the jus to the slow cooker
Shred the meat fine like pulled pork (don't chop, shred, if it doesn't shred easily, you have not cooked it enough). Remove the little remaining fat and any gristle/connective tissue that did not dissolve.
Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and jus and ensure that it's been re-warmed.

To serve, take a club roll and slice it. Place meat on the roll. You can serve it dry (no extra jus), wet (spoon some jus on the sandwich after placing the meat, or dipped (with a set of tongs, take the entire sandwich and submerge it in the jus then remove it and plate.
Extras
Mozzarella cheese
Hot or sweet peppers
Giardiniera (hot or mild)

I tend to double this as my slow cooker is big enough, but you can make it with just one.

You can also keep it thick ( 2-3 inch ) and sous vide it at 132F for 24 hours, then let it drop down to 120F and reverse sear it. It will be prime rib tender. Side of horseradish sauce and some au jus, and your in heaven. I like to mix 50/50 inglehoffer cream style horseradish and sour cream, and Minor's beef au jus base for the au jus dip.

How long do you let it go at 120* after the 24 hours at 132*?

All we ever had at home were chuck steaks, a first cut chuck steak, next to the ribeye were usually pretty good, I haven't really seen chuck steaks like those anymore,.. anyway, I have on occasion split a chuck roast into steaks and they usually cooked up pretty good, of course some chewier than others but still better than the Top round London broils.
Of course I'm not that fussy, lol. YMMV

Back