You spatchcocking this years bird?

• Spatch

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • No spatch

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 26 25.2%

• Total voters
I'm totally undecided. I've brined and cooked 4-5 turkeys, but never spatched one. I think maybe I'd need a practice one first. I spatch chicken all the time, but not turkey.

I have never spatched a turkey before. I am thinking of trying it. Will a spatched turkey typically fit on the UDS without a weber lid and just a flat top? I have a weber lid for mine but it doesn't fit good. The other 2 turkeys I do will be in my smokehouse but I have been thinking of one on the UDS.

I have never spatched a turkey before. I am thinking of trying it. Will a spatched turkey typically fit on the UDS without a weber lid and just a flat top? I have a weber lid for mine but it doesn't fit good. The other 2 turkeys I do will be in my smokehouse but I have been thinking of one on the UDS.

I hope it will fit a uds with a flat lid. That's all I have.

Good point.

Ok, with all this spatch-talk I can't go wrong.

Now, what temp do you spatch a turkey on the WSM? Also, what internal temp do you consider it done? Should I brine the bird overnight? Thanks!!
Nothing changes from normal. Prepare like you normally would besides cut out the spine...the temp is still 165 in the breast.

4 years ago I retired from frying dat bird. Got a Big Easy, whoa boy...gotta luv dat thing! No oil, no mess easy clean up, Crispy skin, juicy meat, quicker than the oven and did I say good!

4 years ago I retired from frying dat bird. Got a Big Easy, whoa boy...gotta luv dat thing! No oil, no mess easy clean up, Crispy skin, juicy meat, quicker than the oven and did I say good!

I've heard really good things about those "Big Easy" cookers. I'm thinking about picking one up this year.

So, with that said I will probably be doing one spatched and one not. The wife has given me the go ahead on two birds, but I really want to do three. I want to do one traditional in the oven, spachcocked on the Yoder and in a big easy.

My rack is over 7 inches down from the top and that's all good. If i went 2 in there i'd have to go with the dome lid.

Now I have to go measure mine when I get home. I think I have about 6 1/2" from the top. If that is not enough, I guess I will have to build another one and mod it so the dome fits snug (god knows I have enough unlined drums laying around:wacko:). Any reason to make another cooker! I already have 3 requests for UDS for xmas presents.

Now I have to go measure mine when I get home. I think I have about 6 1/2" from the top. If that is not enough, I guess I will have to build another one and mod it so the dome fits snug (god knows I have enough unlined drums laying around:wacko:). Any reason to make another cooker! I already have 3 requests for UDS for xmas presents.
Just double checked mine, it's @ 8.5"

It's a good question i'd like to see opinions on...How much clearance to the flat lid is ok? Personally i'd feel good with a couple of inches clearance. If i went 2 levels i can use my kettles dome lid and i saved my locking ring to hold it on.

I'm thinking about smoking the bird whole and finishing it in the deep fryer. Anyone ever tried this?

You could cold smoke it for a couple of hours but i wouldn't go much more than that from a food safety perspective because it isn't cured.

I'm not cooking the official meal, so I won't be spatching. But, I will probably smoke a turkey sometime around thanksgiving and when I do, it will be spatchcocked or just cut completely in half. It cooks quicker and more even. I think it is better and not much extra work. I voted spatch.

BIG TIP: to all you spatchcockers out there. Try a bread knife to cut the bird in half. Seriously. I saw this tip in one of the Pit Barrel Cooker videos. I've done it 3 or 4 times with chicken. It is soooooo much easier than scissors (and I got a good pair) or chief's knife. It should work well on Turkey.

I did the traditional bird last Thanksgiving with the ceremonial carving and everything, had leftovers for days. Did a brined and spatchcocked bird for this past superbowl and another for Easter Sunday, both times no leftovers....it's a no-brainer...SPATCHCOCK!

I view Spatchcocking as a way for me to get more Flavor and smoke to the inside of the bird... not just on the outside.. i also smoke the backbones seperate and use them for greens..

If at deer camp we roast in a gas oven.
If at home I have not decided what we are doing this year.

Back