Who's Judging Your Food?

i am not sure why this has gone the way it has . i am talking about a judge NOT an organizer...this tread is not about how to organize or who should or should not give advice... "by the way i did organize a comp for 3 years it was not sactioned but it was a comp." I dont think bad judging has anything to do with the organizer it has to do with the KCBS. so if some people feel the need to azz pack me do it in a PM. i talked to 3 or 4 people before i posted this. this is about judging and judging only. i know if i am going to spend $1000 or more on a comp i want to think that im geting the best judges i can. in the last 4 comp's i've done i thing the judging i got was spot on. but i do have to wonder it the folks getting judged at this table with this person are being judge fairly. IN NO WAY IS THIS TREAD ABOUT ANY CERTIAN COMP OR ANY ORGANIZER!!!!!!!!!!!if in any way i made this confuzing i am sorry but i hope this fixes that!!!

The solution for this sort of thing is much better Table Captain training, not judges. Ask 1000 CBJs if licking chicken is proper sampling and 999 will say "Hell no!". Unfortunately there is always that one oddball that decides their way is better than what they have been told repeatedly by KCBS, and the only way to catch and weed out these people is by making sure Table Captains are paying close attention to the judges at their table and making them more confident in their part of the process.

Currently TCs are fed more warnings about taking any action than they are helpful tips on what sort of judging problems to watch for and what to do about it. The constant mantra of "You can't do anything - go ask the Rep" leaves the new TC feeling like their purpose is only to pick up trash and pass out water.

For me, if I had to choose between having solid Table Captains or tables full of Master Judges I'll take good TC's every time.

as the TC in mentioned incident maybe can throw a little light on the incident--when observing said judge tasting with tongue told her to make sure she bites it too--she did and had eaten previous pcs too--her scores were on the high end all day.
Think there is a problem sometimes with judges taking smaller bites so there is more food to take home that is the bigger issue to me--the only solution would be the banning of take home containers!

no i think buzz did the right thing all the way. i feel i was wrong to say nothing when i saw this happining.

I dont think bad judging has anything to do with the organizer it has to do with the KCBS.

I was under the impression that the Promoter of the Competition selects judges? If that is not true and the KCBS Reps select them then I agree with your statement. If on the other hand, the Promoter is the one responsible for selecting the judges and getting them to the tables for the KCBS Reps to work with, you could not be more wrong.

As Sylvie pointed out, if a judge shows a predisposition to show bias, and refuses to even consider change, it is incumbant upon the Promoter if they have the power, to make sure this judge is not seated until they have been able to work through these issues.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
It is the promoter/ organizer who collects judge applications and decides who gets seated to judge a KCBS contest.

That is my job with our contest. If I have had a bad experience with a judge for whatever reason, they do not return. I am very thankful that so far I have not had to exclude anyone.

There needs to be clear communication between the CBJ's, TC's , Reps and organizers to detect and correct problems.

Also I have judged at the same table as her a few years ago and she did take bites minimal but she took bites. I am not sayin I approve or disapprove of her as a judge , but until KCBS starts some kind of tracking program theres no way to "judge " if she is or isnt in the ballpark.

If KCBS hadn't kicked us out and handed the development over to MMA the judge tracking would have been implemented by now.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
it did happen in sams madison. i was sitting one away from her. that was my point she does it all the time. i talked with buzz about it today and i told him when i saw this in madison i really did not know to say anything. Is this a good exsample of why we need furthering education?

LMAO!...:loco: Could explain our scores this year if we have any chicken lickers out here...lol!

Why doesn't someone with first hand knowledge of who the person is call her out by name and help other organizers and cooks out? Beating around the bush protecting a chicken licker isn't helping the situation any. What has happened isn't going to change but issues in the future could be mitigated. Sometimes the humiliation will change behaviors or the problem itself fades away, sitting around waiting for something to change typically doesn't work.
Like someone said before, we all have a great deal invested and per KCBS, the sanctioning and rules are in place to give everyone an even and fair chance.

Back