Who's Judging Your Food?

As a rokie judge, is this a slam of judges or the system. I see this as a "system" issue not that the OP was going either way.
We were told that if you dont like it you still need to taste (bite it) it. Taste it, chew it, rate it spit it out if you are not a fan. She needs some re-education and yes table captain should have been notified.

Actually, the table captain should have seen it with his own eyes. He then should have called the rep over and asked for a replacement judge at that point, the first time it happened on chicken. I assume it also happened on all three other meats.

If this turns out to be the case, then the table captain failed at his job. The times that I have tc'd, I watch the scores and body language and encourge the use of comments cards to the entire table while looking at the person I am directing the comment to and also mention abnormalities to the rep when I hand in the cards. This is especially true when I note a judge consistently give scores that are 2 points less than the rest of the table.

To the best of my knowledge Buzz made the lady take bites . At least she isnt calling the organisers tellin em she is the Wi BBQ Association.

Also I have judged at the same table as her a few years ago and she did take bites minimal but she took bites. I am not sayin I approve or disapprove of her as a judge , but until KCBS starts some kind of tracking program theres no way to "judge " if she is or isnt in the ballpark.

Also I have judged at the same table as her a few years ago and she did take bites minimal but she took bites. I am not sayin I approve or disapprove of her as a judge , but until KCBS starts some kind of tracking program theres no way to "judge " if she is or isnt in the ballpark.

if she took minimal bites, I disapprove of her being a judge.. why would she be a judge of bbq ?!?!?!?.. :mad2::mad2:

But did she hand out '2s' for asppearence scores?

I'm truly disappointed by what I read here.

Billy I confirmed what you had heard but I did not blow the whistle. I can not confirm what the table captain actually did or saw as I did not talk directly to him. I confirmed what I had heard from other teams. As I said to you Billy this morning why didn't you bring it to the reps attention while you were there. I think these two judges will continue to judge until someone brings it up to the attention of the reps at a contest. Just my 2-cents. Going back to my corner now.

I wish someone would give me a good reason why I should still spend $800 per contest to have these sorts of judges at a contest !!..

(now, i know this ain't the norm, as I believe 95%+ judges do the best they can, and I am friends with some great people who are judges, but a bad table with a judge like that can ruin a contest for a team or a number of teams)

To the best of my knowledge Buzz made the lady take bites . At least she isnt calling the organisers tellin em she is the Wi BBQ Association.

we are starting it up again ask andy or mike or buzz all are on the board. so is anita and tony, i did not know trying to help oganizers with there contest was a bad thing.

if she took minimal bites, I disapprove of her being a judge.. why would she be a judge of bbq ?!?!?!?.. :mad2::mad2:

I am tryimg to stay somewhat diplomatic thru this while my blood is boiling out of my ears .I know that theres other things going on and just hate seeing the pot stirred when I believe that if people with concerns would talk with the organisers team and the reps as some have done ,would come closer to getting some resolution on the whole deal. I was there and heard all of this and expressed my concerns to the correct people as did others.

I wish someone would give me a good reason why I should still spend $800 per contest to have these sorts of judges at a contest !!..

(now, i know this ain't the norm, as I believe 95%+ judges do the best they can, and I am friends with some great people who are judges, but a bad table with a judge like that can ruin a contest for a team or a number of teams)
I think the whole table should be told they can not judge anymore. The lady for not taking bites. The other judges for not saying anything and the table captain for having his thumb up where it did not belong. keith

we are starting it up again ask andy or mike or buzz all are on the board. so is anita and tony, i did not know trying to help oganizers with there contest was a bad thing.

So it is or isnt a working organisation at the present time?

Well this explains a lot why we got 2nd place chicken (excellent sauce) and 26th place brisket (no dayum sauce). :p

All of the drama and i still can't wait to go back next year. The pasties were delicious.

Actually, the table captain should have seen it with his own eyes. He then should have called the rep over and asked for a replacement judge at that point, the first time it happened on chicken. I assume it also happened on all three other meats.

If this turns out to be the case, then the table captain failed at his job. The times that I have tc'd, I watch the scores and body language and encourge the use of comments cards to the entire table while looking at the person I am directing the comment to and also mention abnormalities to the rep when I hand in the cards. This is especially true when I note a judge consistently give scores that are 2 points less than the rest of the table.

+1!!!

I cannot believe that the table cap did not notice this. They are a "table captain" and that means more than just holding the box for a visual, and then holding the box for samples.

But as someone else pointed out, everyone at the table is guilty is some way. SAY SOMETHING!!!!

wallace

So it is or isnt a working organisation at the present time?

we have the bod and are getting the legal papers done and the name changed. and yes we will be rolling out the hole thing in oct. but i dont think that we should not try to help comps now. i.e. seeing if anita can help some of the new comps. what is going on with the judges i dont think has anything to do with the organizers. i belive it is on the kcbs to make shure all judges are judging according to the training thay where given.
if you dont think we should be trying to help comps in wi let me know and i will tell everyone we need to stop. I dont know of anyone yet who is upset with andy mike and myself trying to help them.

+1!!!

I cannot believe that the table cap did not notice this. They are a "table captain" and that means more than just holding the box for a visual, and then holding the box for samples.

But as someone else pointed out, everyone at the table is guilty is some way. SAY SOMETHING!!!!

wallace

you are right i should have said something in madison when i saw this. i was in the wrong for not saying something.

I am going to open my mouth when a large part of me is telling me to keep it shut. First off, if there was an issue with this judge I as an organizer was not aware of it, and I know the two reps were not aware of it. Prior to our event, I spoke to the reps about every judge that i may have had a concern with. And yes... organizers talk to each other about judges and about teams. There are good and bad in both camps. As far as helping organizers with events i will simply say that the best people to help organizers are other organizers. I judge, I table captain, I cook on a team, I organize and I even get to occasionally lecture at the culinary school bbq class. Nobody knows the shoes an organizer has to wear except another organizer. ORGANIZERS need to be the ones helping and supporting other organizers. Sorry to say, but cooks inherantly come at it from a biased postion, as do judges. And I will argue to the gates of hell about that fact. I think it is upon the shoulders of all of us, judges, teams, and organizers to work together to make this a better sport. Silence will only mask the issue as unseen. Speaking up, in a constructive and positive manner is the only way to make improvements that will bring about effective change. As I have heard the story, and it is like fifth hand by the time it got to me today, the table captain saw the situation, commented on it, and it was corrected. So apparently the judge tasted the chicken as require. Albeit with proding that should have not been neccessary.

we have the bod and are getting the legal papers done and the name changed. and yes we will be rolling out the hole thing in oct. but i dont think that we should not try to help comps now. i.e. seeing if anita can help some of the new comps. what is going on with the judges i dont think has anything to do with the organizers. i belive it is on the kcbs to make shure all judges are judging according to the training thay where given.
if you dont think we should be trying to help comps in wi let me know and i will tell everyone we need to stop. I dont know of anyone yet who is upset with andy mike and myself trying to help them.

I think offering advice to organisers is fine .Representing yourself as someone speaking for the cooks as a whole thats another story . As a person whos name you used with a couple of organisers earlier in the year without permission that is unforgivable. Deny all you want they called me. Most of us who have been here 3 or 4 years havent forgot you mooning the cameras at the Falls contest or you ranting and raving on here about how stupid the organisers are etc .Yep your the guy I want telling the organisers how to run a contest .

A number of teams in Southern Califonia have voiced concerns with a judge who thinks he can detect phosphates and their chemical aftertaste in meats and makes comments to that effect with lower taste and texture scores though often the cook states there were no phosphates used. (Phosphates are odorless and tasteless per a respected source).

It has been reported to the KCBS BOD though the rep at one specific contest failed to acknowledge there was problem with this judge who was noted as an experienced judge and cook. I received responses which noted that this is like a judge not liking spicy or sweet which it seems is acceptable.

I was also informed that the organizers of events have the right to not accept specific judges for an event. The reps know who the bad judges are but the cooks do not. Referring the organizer to contact the reps to identify the bad judges is about all we as cooks can do until a better system is developed.

I know this is unlike a judge witnessing another judge doing wrong. The problem is still bad judges who as masters or experienced cooks and judges are spoiling it for the cooks meats they judge.

Bottom line is we as cooks also have to push the reps and organizers to not accept these identified bad judges who may be at an event.

So which competition did this occur at? Was it at Sam's Club in Madison or at UP Hog Wild? Your posts are contradicting each other.

Back