THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lot of you all are way up on this urban kid- so I have questions, I have done too small whole pigs - one a horizontal Brinkman - one in the Bandera. Both had skin on. First piggy got carved up by a medical student (I found a WEB site for pig carving and he was fascintated by the how much it was like a human). Second one I did - both times we got great Q'ed pig cuts. So the questions are:

If you have someway to cook 1/4 of a 175 lb pig - why skin it?

And, what does anyone thing about a luaua cook for the whole pig? I am thinking about using my cooker and the Bandera to start a bunch of wood and use the Banana tree that needs trimming.

R

Here in MO, I just bought and smoked 8 boston butts yesterday that cost $.97 per pound on sale. Picnics are like $.59 per pound on sale. Whole bone-in pork loins are about $.99 per pound. So for economy, stock up on stuff when its on sale. As for butchering (which I do when I don't have to pay for it), I cut it up with a sawzall with a 12" sterilized blade.

Here in MO, I just bought and smoked 8 boston butts yesterday that cost $.97 per pound on sale. Picnics are like $.59 per pound on sale. Whole bone-in pork loins are about $.99 per pound. So for economy, stock up on stuff when its on sale.
Makes a lot of sense.

The one advantage to buying from a known source is knowing what the animal has been fed and what stuff its been injected with (hormones and such). Hard to put a price tag on quality.

rusold said:
And, what does anyone thing about a luaua cook for the whole pig? I am thinking about using my cooker and the Bandera to start a bunch of wood and use the Banana tree that needs trimming.

R

For a luau pig, or a whole hawg bbq, you want the skin on I think. The skin will enable Mr. Pig
to stay together when cooked for easy moving.

racer_81 said:
rusold said:

R

For a luau pig, or a whole hawg bbq, you want the skin on I think. The skin will enable Mr. Pig
to stay together when cooked for easy moving.

That's the way it was done at the pig pickins I've been to. Two things they get right in N. Carolina, quality shine and a pig pickin!

kcquer said:
The one advantage to buying from a known source is knowing what the animal has been fed and what stuff its been injected with (hormones and such). Hard to put a price tag on quality.

In my younger days, in STL MO with 4 kids to feed, I started buying beef hind quaters from a local butcher, first two were great. Then I decided to buy a half from the same butcher, well it was so bad we never bought another. When it is good, you got a lot of good meat. When it's is bad, you got 700-800 lbs of bad meat :cry: .

As I type this, wondering if that's why two of the kids are vegie only eaters now?

Now in Colorado, we can not get any "good" corn fed beef here like in Nebraska or Midwest. Corn won't grow here. All beef here is weed fed and is tough. So if you have heard of "Range fed fat free", well that is farking true. Went to a "local" butcher shop last Sat that imports some of his beef from the mid west, his porter house steaks were $22 lb. :shock: :shock: I took my $5.00 and went to the bar next door.

willkat98 said:
Sounds greasy.

Grandmaw made'em, they make a crackling sound while cooking. I don't remember that they were "greasy". Kinda like pork rines of today but without preservation additives.

If cornbread is on your menu...add a few cracklins to the mix
Great stuff!!!
MikeG

Now Jorge has me thinking, moonshine mod, old pressure cooker on the firebox, little copper pipe, dump in a bushel of corn mash.. why waste all that heat?

Back