Who has added a door to their UDS?

You know the more I think about it I really like your design! You now have access to the lower racks and the fire! Light that thing up!

You know the more I think about it I really like your design! You now have access to the lower racks and the fire! Light that thing up!

My bar stock is coming in Tuesday. So this thing will be a 4th of July build. Worse case scenario is I eff up this door and have to frame it out and buy more steel.

Here is what I used about 25 years ago. I was trying to duplicate a WSM at the time. The thing had 5 racks and a water pan and could hold 10 full slabs of ribs easy. It made good BBQ but holding temps was a challange. If I could keep it within 25° either side of 225° I was happy. The photo was taken after it was sitting out for a while. I finally got rid of it. Now I have two WSMs Chris

Last edited:
My bar stock is coming in Tuesday. So this thing will be a 4th of July build. Worse case scenario is I eff up this door and have to frame it out and buy more steel.

Yeah, I'd weld 1 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock around the four sides of your door. That will firm it up and provide an overlap seal on your drum cut as well. Do you have a roller to bend the radius or curve of the door? Or just going to heat and bend it?
Probably going to have to change your hinges as well.

Back