When did you know you were a cook? (lots of photos included)

I knew I was a good cook when I met new people at church or around town and they said, "Oh, you're the guy I head about that makes the great BBQ." Or when friends start to call for advice.

It's a little hard to not have a swelled head after a couple of those.

When my mom who is a good cook started asking for tips.

The second was just recently when I became a certified MOINK ball maker!

My grandfather was my inspiration for cooking, he would make chili, menudo, burritos, enchiladas just out of what ever we had in the house, and if not he would find somthing to add in. I know some of the smoking business but I still learn something everyday.8)

When I realized that women liked guys that can cook, I took a keen interest. granted that was a couple of decades ago.

My Mom started me out making brownies and cookies when I was small enough to need to stand on a stool to reach the kitchen counter. I baked and cooked more and more as I got older. When I was a teenager I realized I was a better cook than Mom. I could improvise and make things without a recipe, which Mom always had to have a recipe to follow.
Thanks Mom!

I'm a good cook in very limited ways and I'm definitely not anywhere near the levels demonstrated here on a daily (hourly) basis. That's one of the reasons I joined the site.

Awesome food pron - looks like a magazine spread!

I do not have the talent of some of you taking pictures, I just love the pron, some of you guys are excellent, and take it to a art!

I love to cook outdoors, always looking at new ways, and because of this forum, learning as I go, so thanks to you guys and gals!

I hate to admit this, but no one in my family smokes meat, and bbq is what is served, I cringe if I can't atleast bring something smoked.

I think it started for me when I was about 7 years old, and made my first sandwich myself...peanut butter, bologna, mayo, cheese, M&M's and potato chips...:icon_sick

It was nasty, but that started me off experimenting with mixing different foods and spices together to make something good. Fortunately, the mixtures have gotten better over the years. It's been years since my last "fail" according to the wife.

You had me until you put the Ohio State mug in the pic LOL....great pictures. I guess I knew I could cook when I was at my daughters parent-teacher conference and another parent of one of my daughter's girlfriends said, "Your Megan's Dad, my daughter told me she wished I could cook as good as you."

I don't really consider myself a cook.

But, over the last 8 months or so I have come to realize that, outdoors at least, I CAN cook.

I was cooking about 80 lbs of butts for church on 3 WSMs. My dad was helping me with prep. I think it was while helping me he came to realize what really went into Q and had an all new appreciation for what was going on, and he told me so.

That and 130 people absolutely loved my pulled pork.

And getting a couple of walks at my first comp didn't hurt my realization either.

I'm not a cook but I can follow directions and with the Brethrens help my family has been eating pretty good this year. Always enjoy being around the people who have a real "feel" for cooking. The pron is the best for me because it puts a target at the end of the directions.

In my mind, I feel I arrived as a BBQ cook when my FIL asked me for BBQ advice. He taught me how to cook my first briskets.

There's a difference between cooking, and being a cook.

cmcadams,

There is a difference between taking pictures and being a photographer.
When did YOU know you were a photographer?

Your food looks terrific, BTW!

Ron

cmcadams,

There is a difference between taking pictures and being a photographer.
When did YOU know you were a photographer?

Your food looks terrific, BTW!

Ron

Ron, that's kind of you, but I've seen real photographers' work... I'm a hack that likes to put in an attempt. :)

I really do not know about being a "cook" and what the means.

I do know that I had a change of perspective about 4 to 5 years ago.

Up until then, I had only cooked "to eat" or to "man the grill" and to overcook hot dogs, hamburgers, and ribs.

Then, I found the Brethren, along with a lot of resources on the Net.
I also met and cooked with some real pros who actually knew what they were doing.

Now, I am starting to understand the complex (yet really simple) relationships that exist in cooking.

I can now balance "time" with "cooker temp" "with meat temp" with "cut of meat" to come up with something edible. At least most of the time. :oops:
I now understand the relationships of spice flavors to each other and to the various meats. At least most of the time. :oops:
I can now evaluate the proper "smoke flavor and density" for the result I want. At least most of the time. :oops:

I now cook things I would never have dreamed of 5 years ago.
I even spend hours working on new "snacks" and "horsey-dorseys" and love it when folks eat them up and ask for more.

The bottom line is that now I ENJOY cooking and not just the ACT of cooking.
Cooking and competing has become my #1 hobby/obsession. :lol:

Just my thoughts.

TIM

My wife burns water. :shock:
I have to cook so my daughter and I won't starve to death. :biggrin:

Great pics Curt! :cool:

Great pics Curt!

I think I discovered that I was a cook at an early age.
Probably around age 8.

The first dish I can remember preparing was Hobo Stew.
My Grandpa taught me how to make it when I was 7.
Just layers of ground beef, potatoes and what ever kinds of veggies that
strike your fancy with some kind of soup poured over it. I.E. mushroom, celery ect.

The 2nd time I made it I started changing the ingredients to suit myself instead of
relying of Grandpa's "recipe".

My mom has a snap shot of me when I was 8 standing at the head of the table of 15 relatives
where I cooked the entire meal by myself.

That was the moment I knew I was a cook.......and knew that I enjoyed it in a very "different" way
than my mom. My mom always had to have a recipe, and still does.
I would ask mom, "Why did you put THAT in there when you could have made it with THIS."
Her answer was always the same. "Because that is what the recipe calls for."

My Grandma taught me the underlying fundemental principal in cooking.

If you know the function of the individual ingredients of a recipe, you
can create recipes instead of just following them.

That is why Alton Brown and Christopher Kimball will always be my heros.

My MIL asked me last year if I had ever made a recipe EXACTLY as it written.

My answer......"Yeah, back when I didn't know any better!":lol:

On edit: I was just thinking, I am ALWAYS learning new things to try and
being member of The Brethren has helped expand my cooking horizons.

I consider The Brethren as "Continuing Education"!:-D

-

I've known for a long, long time that I love to cook. I'm not sure at what point that I got good at it. Not sure I'm even there yet. There are many things that elude me (puff pastry, for one ... maybe it's just the local heat that makes this so hard to make).

I'm a big fan of recipes. By trade, I'm a software guy. In school I went math sciences. So, I like formulae. I like numbers and being able to repeat.

I take notes while I cook. If something comes out great, I want to be able to make it again and again. If it doesn't, I want to figure out why. I treat the kitchen like a lab.

All that said, I'm not someone who treats a recipe as sacred. I'll make a recipe as written the first time. Then, if I like it, I'll play with it and modify it. Of course, keeping track of what I do along the way.

I like to play with strange combinations sometimes. Once I was making an Asian-flavored vinaigrette and decided to put the teaspoon of onion through the garlic press. I really just didn't feel like doing a fine dice that day ... and the garlic press looked so inviting.

I realized that I was starting to do OK when I sold Dim Sum to Chinese living here in the Philippines.

I don't know if I am a cook or not, definatly not a chef. But one thing I learned a long time ago is that if I do the cooking I get to eat what I want:icon_bigsmil I like recipies for the idea, after that the changes start. The planning, the toys etc are my thing. The process of taking different items and making something taste really good I find very fulfilling. This BBQ site has put my skills into overdrive:icon_cool

By the way great pics man:lol:

Back