THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cholula---good flavor-med heat
Red and green Tabasco
I don't use anything too hot, I think once it gets too hot -you loose site of the flavor of it and what ever it's on. kind of a waste to me. less heat more flavor.

For light heat:
Cholula - A little of it goes into everything.
Mad Cat - Nice and fruity.
Dave's Scotch Bonnet - again, real fruity.

For medium:
Blair's Original Death - Good on chips, or to bing Q sauce up.

For the real stuff:
100% Pain - Nice real Hab flavor
Daves Gourmet Temporary Insanity

I've heard good things about Joe Perry's Boneyard Brew ... especially on steak. Anyone tried his brew? Please PM me if you have, to not hijack the thread.

I usually use Tobasco Habenero sauce. I think it's pretty good, but I don't ever eat it straight. I usually put it in foods like my Jambalya and such. I got a bottle of Franks Red Hot to try for Christmas. I don't really consider myself a conisuer but I like suace that burns with flavor, not just burns for the sake of burning.

JTMcD.

Hoorenga said:
Ten being something like Dave's insanity (friggin burn your lips off hot)

:biggrin: How did you guess my fav sauce!!! :biggrin:

If you're talking hot sauces to add to marinades or foods to make them hotter I think Daves Insanity is the best (i'd vote it a 7/10 for heat), it has a long constant burn that feels great in the mouth, it isn't overly tart or vinegary so it doesnt change the flavour of the food you add it to as such, it just adds a smokey warming taste.

If you are talking sauces to pour on food when eating I'd go with something like Blairs Original Death Sauce (3/10) for mild or Blairs After Death (6/10) for something a little hotter.

For sometihng that tastes a little different try Brother Bru-Bru's African Hot Sauce (3/10) which is great on wedges, its a little like a more complex Worcestershire sauce withn a little heat thrown in!

Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat - Great habanero flavor and the heat is decent - not a 'killer' hot sauce.

Blair's New Chipotle Slam is also worth a nod - by far better then his original recipe, this sauce is great on everything.

Cholula - Long time favorite, mostly a breakfast sauce but also excellent on pizza.

I love hot sauces. Some foods would be very dull without them. I notice that no one put down Dave's Insanity as one of their favorites. I'm just curious if any one actually enjoys these hyper atomic, flesh eating types of hot sauce? Those are the ones where they take the hottest peppers they can find and then make an extract of only the heat producing element. I also believe it is the same stuff that they use in pepper spray guns (Capsaicin). I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it from the same manufacturer. My 80 year old father in law received a bottle of one of these atomic hot sauces for Christmas last year (not from me). At the breakfast table he put a generous portion on his eggs to show his appreciation of the gift. Moments later he was in some serious pain. Of course they put warning labels on the bottle but who reads them. I tried dipping a tooth pick in the bottle and then touching the tooth pick to my tongue. It was still way too hot. The only use I have found for them is for shutting up those macho types who always brag about how hot they like it. Here, try some of this.....

Oops, guess I should read all the posts first. CarbonToe seems to like Dave's Insanity. He's a better man than I am. I find it too hot even as an ingredient. I had a bottle that I thought I could use by putting it into a batch of asian ginger, soy hot sauce I was making. I put one little bottle into about a gallon of my sauce. The kitchen quickly filled with fumes from the hot sauce and I found myself reacting as if someone had maced me. No one could go in the kitchen without weeping and coughing for quite some time. No more o dat chit.

Hoorenga said:
I had a bottle that I thought I could use by putting it into a batch of asian ginger, soy hot sauce

You didn't use the whole bottle???? OMG!!!!! I use about a tablespoon per 3 litre batch of chilli or whatever I'm cooking to raise the heat a bar as I find most recipes a little on the cool side to suit my palette!!!!

But yes I agree, most of the super hot sauces are rubbish, just designed to create heat over flavour. I tend to avoid any sauce that has a swear word in it or a 'comical' arse joke in the title!!!

Try Dave's Insanity again, starting with a teaspoon and add a little more until you get the right heat!

But then my other half does say I have a high tolerance for hot foods!! :twisted:

Back